Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 United States Presidential Election

2012 United States Presidential Election

My money is on Obama. Unless the economy starts declining again, which is a very real possibility. Has anyone else been keeping up with the Republican primaries?

Yeah, the GOP is for shit. They don't have a candidate that can compete with Obama. They keep rotating top candidates because the front runner keeps making an ass of him/herself in debates and interviews. Like Jon Stewart pointed out, Romney is keeping quiet and letting the other candidates ruin their own chances. As soon as Romney speaks, he'll doom himself.

4 more years for Obama sounds good to me, if Congress gets its shit together.

Obama needs to pick a new VP who can succeed him and help him win in 2012. Biden isn't that guy.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Politics is bad theatre: the elections are basically a giant shit talking fest, and sometimes it's painful to watch. On today's episode we talk about blowing up Iran!
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

It's amazing how the GOP candidates are derailing each other, providing plenty of material for the Dems and Comedy Central. But to be honest, the GOP has one of the most pathetic crops of candidates any party has produced in decades.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Most of them are bloodthirsty psychopaths, but the bad response from the public is thinning them out nicely.

Hopefully it doesn't come down to Obama (economically frivolous bloodthirsty psychopath) and Romney/Santorum/Gingrich (homophobic bloodthirsy psychopath).

Hopefully? Because that's the most likely scenario. Wouldn't be all bad, since Romney is a moderate conservative. But Obama beats him.

How do you know it's likely? And don't say polls. Santorum was in the like the bottom 5 for Iowa for the whole first part of the race and all of a sudden he's only lost Iowa by 8 votes?

How do you figure Obama is likely to start a new war (bloodthirstiness)? Iraq is finished, Afghanistan is seeing Western troops withdrawing one country after another. You'd think even the USA would rather conserve some money (or let's say reduce the annual debt taking) rather than throw more money into the blazes of war.

How does starting new wars only count as being bloodthirsty. It's amazing that it took Obama three years to finally end the wars and start withdrawing troops (except for the "non-combatants"), right on time for re-election. And the drug war still counts as a war, which he hasn't said a peep about (except to admit to doing them when he was younger).

You'd think even the USA would rather conserve some money (or let's say reduce the annual debt taking) rather than throw more money into the blazes of war.
    Not at all. Though I can't imagine why.

Edit: Nevermind, I can't find any evidence that the war in Afghanistan is ending, except for "negotiations" rumored by the media.
    Last edited by Sapphire; Wed, 01-04-2012 at 10:55 AM.

The war in Afghanistan will not end until there's only one man alive in that wretched hellhole. And even then it will resume once that last man's sons are old enough to fight. However, that has got nothing to do with us. I said for a reason that Afghanistan is losing the Western troops steadily. I very much doubt the USA will be sticking around that much longer either after the rest of us have hit the road. Afterwards China will supply whoever happens to be in power with money and weapons in exchange for rare earth minerals - because the communists are today's biggest capitalists and couldn't care less whom they are dealing with.

Well, I could be wrong and I'm certainly not the biggest US foreign policy expert, but generally speaking wars start to get really old in voters' opinions after years of bad news.

If Romney had more charisma and could learn to raise his voice in a debate, I would actually say he'd be a marvel Republican candidate. And I can promise you out of the current crop of candidates, he will be the the nominee. Every front runner thus far has only been a sideshow attraction. The GOP isn't out to lose (at least not blatantly); they know they have to put up someone with at least a chance of beating Obama. The rise in polls of every other candidate has simply been the non-establishment crying over its distaste of Romney, but it will eventually get there. None of these other clowns can compete in a general election; Santorum is a fucking nut job who brought home a fetus to show to his kids. Newt is the biggest slimeball on stage. Perry can barely keep a sentence together on stage. And Ron Paul is basically running for the wrong party. Obama has a good track record to run on everything except for the economy, which isnt worsening, only moving sluggishly which people might look by if the Republican nominee fails to muster excitement (Romney puts me to sleep half the time to be honest). He'll probably be destroyed in the debates.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Yeah, the GOP is for shit. They don't have a candidate that can compete with Obama. They keep rotating top candidates because the front runner keeps making an ass of him/herself in debates and interviews.
    It's really pathetic. For all the talk of hope and change, Obama basically continued every policy introduced by Bush that democrats or liberals lambasted non-stop for how tyrannical they were. Warrantless Wiretapping, the Patriot Act in general, etc. If Obama didn't simply keep them, he often strengthened those policies further. (But I'll be fair, Congress prevented him from closing Guantanamo.) You can't even say he's not a warmonger, since the whole Libya affair was a "police action" and skipped the required approval by Congress.

Then we have the examples of his complete lack of leadership. The Gulf Oil spill, where he decided to stay out of it until the media started making a lot of noise about how he wasn't doing anything. A really nice executive order should have been to allow the foreign ships to aid in immediate action (they were legally banned from coming so far near our coasts, allowing only locals to do work that they simply were not trained to do, like the Dutch or Norwegian ships were). That single act would have prevented the spill from getting as bad as it did. Instead he did nothing until the PR started to look bad.

This should have been a slam dunk for the Republicans. But they can't field a decent candidate who can speak intelligently, or not act like a psychopath to scrounge for votes from the Conservative "base." Ron Paul can at least debate intelligently, but the media loathes him.

The media actually spun an Iowa Straw Poll result into stating that Michele Bachmann had won it, despite the fact that she lost it by well over a thousand votes. She did later win the Ames Straw Poll (also in Iowa), but it was pretty disgusting media spin for quite a while.

Then we've got the professional politicians and the scumbags (often one in the same). I do enjoy how Mitt Romney likes to pose himself as a Washington Outsider. Newt is well...Newt Gingrich (enough said). And if Santorum wins, we can expect him to order the systematical extermination of homosexuals...classy.

But you know what they say, "It does take a certain kind of monster to run for political office..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    How do you know it's likely? And don't say polls. Santorum was in the like the bottom 5 for Iowa for the whole first part of the race and all of a sudden he's only lost Iowa by 8 votes?
    This is equally disgusting. I don't like Romney (as mentioned above, I think he's a scumbag), but Santorum getting second place, but more importantly how he campaigned, was no less disgusting. It tells a lot about the hijacking of the Conservatist side to our country.

Romney is a front-runner, no question. But the very fact that he's a Mormon is so repellent to the Christian Conservative Base that hijacked the Republican Party, that they'll look for anyone who cries from the rafters that they are a Super Christian, Born-Again, whatever. So Santorum goes from the bottom of the race, to running around Iowa telling everyone how Super Christian he is. Every speech lays out how much he loves God.

What part of Romney being a Mormon has anything to do with his policies or whether or not he would be a good President? Who gives a shit? Idiots do.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Wed, 01-04-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Obama is going to win and the economy is still going to be in the crapper or in greater decline. There has been too many Natural and Economic disasters for an immediate recovery. So you all better save your pennies and buckle down for the long haul. The President is just one man, that is either supported or opposed by the system (congress, lobbies etc) and the system is what's fucked.

There is no GOP candidate that posses any threat to Obama and short of anything extreme happening I don't see him losing. The GOP and better Presidential candidates don't want to be the janitor for this Global mess that is facing them. It's just a circus act now.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Just a note: the media not following Ron Paul is doing him a kindness. Serious media attention would absolutely destroy a hypothetical Ron Paul candidacy.

It's one thing when they are not scrutinizing him. It's another when they politely pretend he doesn't even exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    It's one thing when they are not scrutinizing him. It's another when they politely pretend he doesn't even exist.
    www.google.com

"Ron Paul" www.cnn.com

About 135,000,000 results (0.39 seconds)

Of course liberal websites will have information on Ron Paul, he's the best option of the GOP bunch as far as the Dems are concerned. Conservative websites and media outlets don't give him as much coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Of course liberal websites will have information on Ron Paul, he's the best option of the GOP bunch as far as the Dems are concerned. Conservative websites and media outlets don't give him as much coverage.
    Sometimes I don't even know what you're angling for with posts like this.

I am with Y on this. Ta-Nehisi Coates has been covering some of Paul's more negative aspects. It would be pretty damning if the media actually chose to cover it.