Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SOPA

SOPA

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), also known as H.R. 3261, is a bill that was introduced in the United States House of Representatives on October 26, 2011, by Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) and a bipartisan group of 12 initial co-sponsors. The bill expands the ability of U.S. law enforcement and copyright holders to fight online trafficking in copyrighted intellectual property and counterfeit goods.

The bill would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a crime, with a maximum penalty of five years in prison for 10 pieces of music or movies within six months. The bill also gives immunity to Internet services that voluntarily take action against websites dedicated to infringement, while making liable for damages any copyright holder who knowingly misrepresents that a website is dedicated to infringement
    -

-

Thoughts?

-
    Last edited by Sapphire; Thu, 12-29-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

I though there was a post about this already? /deja vu
    Anyway here is another good video about it:

It says 14mins, but it changes to 7minutes for some reason.
    -----------------

Feds shut down file-sharing website Megaupload.com

There goes Carnage's favorite DDL site.

Edit: "Seven people have been named in an indictment and that four suspects have been taken into custody. They have been charged in northern Virginia with crimes related to online piracy."

FBI charges Megaupload operators with piracy crimes

Justice Department calls MegaUpload an 'international organized criminal enterprise,' founder Kim Dotcom arrested in New Zealand
    Last edited by Marik; Thu, 01-19-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Motherfucker megaupload is the only site where I consistently get 2-3 mb/s download rates. I hope Kim Schmitz wins his lawsuit.

Wow that is so messed up, if this goes through then it's pretty much the end for every other filesharing website out there..
    -----------------

IRC might be next.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Makes me want to stop buying American movies.

Woah thats one huge hit to the internet and the so called "cloud" that is supposed to be the future. The biggest webpage of file sharing supposed to have the 5% of the content of the internet.

I have a few questions anyway. Can FBI close enterprises and arrest people anywhere in the world? And isnt Megaupload a Chinese company or at least stablished there?

Already rumours spreading about anonymous attacks to justice.gov and universalmusic. This could be the start of something big. Or maybe not, we still have footbal
    The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom

The hell? What did MU ever do?

And they extracted a citizen from another country IN another country? Um....

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Well, they are responsible for this piece of crap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Wvn-9BXVc

Edit: But yeah this is total bullshit. A sign of things to come of SOPA passes.

Edit2:
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Thu, 01-19-2012 at 06:23 PM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Don't they have written somewhere in License agreement when uploading files that they aren't responsible for the content but the uploader is? And they will remove illegal content when they find it?

Nearly the same bullshit that happened with ps3 hack - guy got sued for no legal reason(he bought the console, not the license to use it, so he can do whatever he fucking wants to it - like with iphone - jailbreaking it is legal).. anyone knows what happened afterwards? all media went silent about it after a while and no one reported the verdict(or i missed it).
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Quote Originally Posted by Xelbair View Post
    anyone knows what happened afterwards? all media went silent about it after a while and no one reported the verdict(or i missed it).
    Geohot and Sony settled out of court.

Still bullshit to me - he hacked his console, that he acutally owns, not rents/has license for, but owns it.

and another question about MU - US isn't the only country in the world, what about other countries with different laws? even if somehow(i doubt it) they find them guilty - shouldn't they be only blocked for US?
    Seriously - this shit is important. Sites have to followall laws of every country at once(impossible, and too many conflicting laws) or get shut down, or they should be resolved locally(that means NO shutting down servers, just blocking access, which is bad too)?
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo View Post
    Well, they are responsible for this piece of crap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Wvn-9BXVc

You shouldnt worry about finding sense to these acts. Law is only there to be abided by the slaves, sorry, citizens. The ones that write & execute them dont have such trifle matters.

In the worst case scenario they will say that MU had WMD. Shame that the Internet doesnt have oil!

Random retards are DDoSing the DOJ, yeah, THAT will discourage them from passing SOPA.

SOPA is going to get passed and the first thing they'll take down is 4chan.

Anonymous reported that more than 6.000 ppl attacked those webpages using DDoS. Thats quite a few random retards

Some "conspiranoics", whom I love to read in a forum, are saying that the closing of MU was orchestrated to provoke this massive response to have a "casus belli" and pass the law under extreme measures and sell it to the masses.

Makes sense to me.

-

People who "attack" others in order to make some sort of ideological point disgust and annoy me. It only takes about a year or two of high school history to learn that the government only gets stronger if you attack it (thus giving it a reason to become stronger and go around "protecting" things). What's worse is hive-mind DDoSers tend to do what everyone else is doing for the sake of feeling a part of something rather than to really bring about peace or freedom. Not much different from any army, actually...

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I was going to sign up for the lifetime offer with MU too..

Likewise, bullshit arrest. Not only do I hope he gets out unscathed, but that the public outburst from this will make them re-evaluate the US's ability to make such an arrest again in the future.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

The majority of the times, these laws get passed because the general public just simply doesn't give a shit. This time, too many popular websites raised a big stink about this so it's looking very unlikely at this point that SOPA is going to get passed in its current form.

MU was getting way too big and too profitable, it was only a matter of time before it gets taken down so dinosaur organizations like MPAA and RIAA can make money. This is just another Napster, there's plenty of other file-sharing site that'll take the void MU left behind. A shame about my life time membership, but i did get like 5 years of use out of it.

I really doubt that'll file-sharing websites will ever "die". It's simply too easy to start one and it's not like the FBI have the resources to go after and create an extensive case against every file-sharing website.