Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: SOPA

Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post
    Actually, if you are registered, it is called "lobbying" and technically legal if done "right".
    Is it legal because the congressman decided it to be legal in some bill decades ago or is it in the U.S. Constitution?

I guess they never heard about "conflict of interest", prevarication, bribery and "charge incompatibilities". At least they dont hide it, but I dont know if thats good or even sadder.
    The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Edort4 View Post
    Is it legal because the congressman decided it to be legal in some bill decades ago or is it in the U.S. Constitution?

I guess they never heard about "conflict of interest", prevarication, bribery and "charge incompatibilities". At least they dont hide it, but I dont know if thats good or even sadder.
    It is a form of free speech, and would fall under 1st amendment protections (right to petition) and the courts have upheld it as such. What is really sad is that technically, the Citizen's United case can be looked at as the "correct" decision in legal terms, although morally, probably not the case, since everyone knows that the people with the most money have the most "speech". Sometimes the law can be right and wrong at the same time.

There are some interesting books on the subject. If you are so inclined, check out the Jack Abramoff book Capitol Punishment. He was a lobbyist that got caught and he writes about the seedy underbelly of Washington's lobbying scene.

MPAA won't stop until even search engines like Google will only be allowed to give search results from a list preapproved by MPAA lawyers. Naturally nothing will get approved for years unless you donate a little money to MPAA behind the scenes.