Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SOPA

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    IRC's all good for a download or two, but it takes a fair bit more learning (or friends to write you scripts) to get things like queuing and bandwidth allocations to work. Torrents still have their place as far as large/batch file downloads go. Time to go underground.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

for "DL" links has anyone tried this site yet? http://www.anonyupload.com/ <-- can read up a lil about it on the site O,..,e

That 2nd guy just sounds like a dick, but it is kind of a cool story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ref=technology

And a cool infographic
    Last edited by rockmanj; Tue, 01-31-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Yeah. A day or two after SOPA was shelved in the USA, the Finnish equivalent of a music/movie copyright organization proposed draconian laws resembling SOPA. It seems to me the agencies elsewhere in the Western world might have expected SOPA to pass and thus were timing their own proposals like this (it's the same global corporations everywhere, after all). But with what happened in the USA, it just looks hilarious in a sad way.

Interesting argument, and one I have been making for a while: http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...y-have/252742/

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    I went to btjunkie.org and saw this:

http://btjunkie.org/goodbye.html

Now I'm sad.
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

Another draconian bill in the works: http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/18/in...eillance-bill/

Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post
    Good to know that there aren't any morally forceful psychopaths in the government over here!
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post
    I was compelled to find some infographics on the profitability of the music industry and the effects of piracy. Found this:
    http://articles.clickitticket.com/Mo...candPiracy.asp
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    I was compelled to find some infographics on the profitability of the music industry and the effects of piracy. Found this:
    http://articles.clickitticket.com/Mo...candPiracy.asp
    I don't understand what "Cost to hire for artist" vs "Average cut for artist" is on about..

I would have thought it's talking about the "cost to run a concert" vs "cut left over for artist", but the wording doesn't support that idea.

I think that infographic is self-serving and probably not supportable by facts. I'll bet the RIAA and MPAA commissioned the creation of that infographic, and therefore its results are questionable in accuracy and validity.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

That is an...interesting infographic to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I don't understand what "Cost to hire for artist" vs "Average cut for artist" is on about..

I would have thought it's talking about the "cost to run a concert" vs "cut left over for artist", but the wording doesn't support that idea.
    Concert ticket prices are directly related to the cost of hiring a particular artist, with the profit margin and overhead for the concert organizer (such as the rent of the concert hall, hiring people to sell tickets and gorillas to keep order, etc). What the artist gets must include not only what the actual musicians pocket personally but also any background singers, transferring their equipment, any special effects they need and all the other jazz, like their personal manager's wages. So, there are actually two overheads at play all the time, in addition to two profit margins.

Or like the small text on the site said: "As for an artist's cut of the live revenues, generally speaking, they are paid about half of a show's gross. However, their share must cover their booking agent and manager's commissions, production costs, tour crew salaries, and travel expenses, so the actual artist may or may not pocket considerable cash."

So, the graph showed both the overheads and the local organizer's profit combined (on the left, blue) and then the pure artist's earnings (on the right, white). That's how I understood it.

I still don't get it. Who hires artists??

Example: Lady Gaga starts a concert. Taylor Swift makes a guest appearance. Who hires who?

---------------------------
    edit: Just did a search and saw this... when did this shit start happening? :S
    edit2: Act was in place since 1998???
    edit3: Funi filed the complaint.

Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 03-07-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I still don't get it. Who hires artists??

Example: Lady Gaga starts a concert. Taylor Swift makes a guest appearance. Who hires who?
    As far as I know, the organizers are people/companies in the local/nation's music world, businessmen, or even some organizations that could use the profits for a charity or funding junior sports or whatever. They strike a deal with an artist (the artist's manager) and arrange the concert place plus the selling of tickets, booking hotels, etc. I suppose domestically a band could potentially arrange their own concerts as well, and for minor bands that would seem likely, if they play at clubs and such. The managers of more fresh artists might need to market them.

Jounin
    So... they are using almost unlimited resources at a cost of maybe 100's of millions, maybe in to the billions by the time this is over with and all to tell a few downloaders "You are wrong, we are right. Now pay us 100s of thousands in restitution'.

When the cost to make back a few hundred thousand dollars outweighs the actual cost of bringing a few downloaders to justice? It's nice to know the music and movie industry as well as the governments are willing to waste 100s of millions and maybe billions of Tax payer dollars just to make a few measely dollars. I guess the quest for the almighty dollar is very intoxicating.

My theory is, those companies are committing fraud, hiding/transferring undeclared money and blaming so-called fictional losses on piracy.

That's the only reason I can see why the governments accept "Projected figures" as fact when it's nothing more than a hypothesized unrealistic fictional qouta/income. I suspect there is more to the MPAA + RIAA vs Piracy stance. Teh cost of all this is already staggering.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought when a company solicits congress and pays millions to pass a bill, it's considered bribery and illegal. Only way bills like this make it so congress must mean there are a few congressmen in the MPAA and RIAA's back pockets.

None of it makes any sense. Waste money to cause a ruckus and divert attention. :P

FBI should investigate the MPAA and RIAA for wrongdoing. In capitalist America, the people have no rights, only corporations can exceed their legal boundaries and create their own legal boundaries.

My thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Skill View Post

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought when a company solicits congress and pays millions to pass a bill, it's considered bribery and illegal. Only way bills like this make it so congress must mean there are a few congressmen in the MPAA and RIAA's back pockets.

None of it makes any sense. Waste money to cause a ruckus and divert attention. :P

FBI should investigate the MPAA and RIAA for wrongdoing. In capitalist America, the people have no rights, only corporations can exceed their legal boundaries and create their own legal boundaries.

My thoughts on the matter.
    Actually, if you are registered, it is called "lobbying" and technically legal if done "right".