Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SOPA

I found this interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by HorribleSubsLeader
    I’m assuming most of you know about what happened to Megaupload. Fileserve has decided to pull its affiliate program because of that, so our source of income is gone. We’re probably going to add some advertisements since asking you faggots to donate to Me is a whole waste of time. Fuck you all.
    Those money laundering and racketeering charges put other file hosts on notice.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post
    I don't know how well that black march thing will go. It really isn't a lot of time, but asking people to go a month without entertainment is probably too much for most. I don't agree with this guy's tone or stance, but his boycott (at the bottom) sounds like a good idea.
    On the other hand, I'm totally with him. I always asked my parents when I was younger as to why people even protest in the first place. If I wasn't threatened and could do what I want, why would I care that a few people are making noise on my doorstep?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Jounin
    I understand what you're saying about being paid for the sweat you put out in a hard day work. However, it is flawed by the simple fact that every company/employer out there will try to find ways to make your pay less and mostly when you work overtime for time and half and double time. My work place will deduct Dinner (hour) and lunch 30 minutes. Sometimes 2 lunches in a day so you lose out on 2 hours of pay if you work a 14-18 hour shift. So you get paid for 16 hours.

As you said, it is perfectly alright to demand a fair pay for a day work. You and everyone else, will never get the proper pay for a day work. Regardless how you look at it, you get ripped off but you can't sue or charge your work place for failing to pay you properly. All because your work place wants to save $$. :P

Now as for the music and movie industry. They don't demand you pay them. They dictate it and enforce the fact that you have to pay only them for a movie or music. If you don't, you get arrested, charged for a thousand different things and they expect you to pay a 150,000 dollar fine in the end. I am sure everyone remembers the 12 year old girl in New York who got charged and sued over downloading one song that she paid 99 cents for.

As a consumer I have no problems paying for music or movies. I have a mere 50 Blu-Rays and 90 DVDs. These laws or acts (Which will become law later on) make me wonder why I throw money at them, only to have them turn around and use that money to aggresively arrest and charge people around the world.

I totally agree with the Black March thing. I live in Canada and for the month of March. I will not buy a music CD or a movie. I usually buy 2 Blu-Ray movies a month. I hope many around the world do the same thing. Why support a corrupt industry full of greed?

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    Whoops, you're right rockman, my bad for missing it.

To Mods: Delete this post when you get a chance.
    Last edited by Uchiha Barles; Sun, 01-22-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowskill
    I understand what you're saying about being paid for the sweat you put out in a hard day work. However, it is flawed by the simple fact that every company/employer out there will try to find ways to make your pay less and mostly when you work overtime for time and half and double time. My work place will deduct Dinner (hour) and lunch 30 minutes. Sometimes 2 lunches in a day so you lose out on 2 hours of pay if you work a 14-18 hour shift. So you get paid for 16 hours.

As you said, it is perfectly alright to demand a fair pay for a day work. You and everyone else, will never get the proper pay for a day work. Regardless how you look at it, you get ripped off but you can't sue or charge your work place for failing to pay you properly. All because your work place wants to save $$. :P
    I'm not sure who "you" refers.

In response to the post, I should say that a malfunctioning of one system doesn't mean you should apply or spread it to others. The fact that your boss withholds money from you doesn't mean it's fine or alright to to start stealing from a shop because "no one is paid in full, so why should the owner be".

Lunch-hours being deducted here is perfectly normal.. and to be honest I don't see a problem with it. They're paying you to work.. not have lunch. What I actually dislike here is that they usually limit your lunchtime to 30mins. It'd be good if it was more negotiable. Many of my bosses have been lenient on this though as they realise 30-mins sharp is pretty shit.

Jounin
    It's not my boss doing the deducting it's the people in payroll. I work through a lot of my lunchtimes and I get no dinner until I get home. Call it stealing, I call it being cheap. :P Those 2 hours would = $90 on double time. So ya they will take shortcuts in pay if they can find it. :/

I was referring to animaniax(sp?).

It's not one system, it's in every system.

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha Barles View Post
    Maddox rant on SOPA defeat.

It's worth reading.
    I think that is the exact link I posted...

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Napster downfall created new monsters called donkey and torrent, then solutions such as MU.
    I guess the streaming service was too much and called for the reaction they got...
    Now that MU has been taken down, I wonder what we'll get as a counter...

Main weakness for torrent and donkey are link sites.
    Another is the IP adress that is shared (although there are solutions, but again relying on servers such as VPNs)
    Get rid of that and you get a purely serverless and anonymous system.
    Torrent is almost there. I do not know for donkey as I stopped using it years ago.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I thought Winny was already at the anonymous-sharing stage. It was the creator who got apprehended, as well as one or more users who were tracked down via the forum feature of the program (because they were using it to post the links or whatever is required to download?).

Read a little about that after your message.
    Seems like the offspring is a little too demanding. At least if Perfect Share is supposed to be the offspring.
    I read things like 40GB hard drive dedicated space and minimum 100KB/s upload speed.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Jounin
    That maddox guy has some good points.

Everyone knows the RIAA and MPAA will never admit to releasing crappy music and very bad movies, which is why they don't sell as many albums. They blame piracy, rather than the fact that a lot of what is released is just very bad entertainment that nobody wants. :P

Well, majors have been complaning for over 30 years their industry is drowning.
    Yet many guys get millions out of that business.
    I'm not advocating so called piracy, just adding elements.

Holy damn. What are the other top 8 file sharing sites?

Why don't they just move their servers to Sweden...
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post
    Yeah, and Upload.to has blocked access from the U.S.

blocked.jpg

Well, looks like it's time to move on to FTP and IRC.

Wow, the US government seems to really have gotten under the skin of file lockers.

They're most likely just playing it safe and see how the Megaupload trials turn out. Please remember that Rapidshare has won many high profile cases in the past, so there's still a chance MU could win if it was just the aiding piracy allegations.

They were also accused of racketeering, which sounds like some Wild West shit.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

you've heard of ACTA(similar shit to SOPA, but international)? guess what happened in Poland - current ruling party just signed it - without any consultation or debate, because 'there were no protests against it'... but they never disclosed then contents of it and did it without informing public that they were even discussing it. Anonymous retaliated ofc.. prime minister and all of those ministers who supported ACTA sites are hacked(not just DDOS, their content is replaced) - primie minister's one is cool(btw - i've never ever seen person more lazy than him - first thing he did after getting elected - he went on vacation, and he is still 'missing' to public opinion) - content is replaced with anti acta manifest plus the video mocking jaruzelski's(general in PRL) speech that gave the control of the country to military and enforced strict restrictions.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE