Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Game: Skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by Splash! View Post
    Wow, I really should have paid more attention in the early minutes of the game. Apparently there were 2 different people you could choose to follow when the dragon attacked. Also,the Ralof guy was supposed to show you the stones on the way to Riverwood. I didn't even care about following him. As soon as I got out of Helgen, I started doing my own thing, and then arrived at Riverwood much later.
    I wonder if you can go back to Riverwood and find the guys to show you the stones. I'll try that today.

Quote Originally Posted by TwisT View Post
    So i try and make the most of it and trying out different things to find what suits me. i started out with a 1h and shield. I knew i wanted a 1h weapon and not 2h. Rather dual if thats the case. Then i realized that destruction spells is the way to go. With spark i could just nuke every fucker down except boss types. Then i just empty my mana pool and then go with my dagger. Got the double casting which made it even easier. After many hours i started noticing that they just didn't want to die anymore and my Elven dagger did more damage. So i swapped my destruction for the summon flame something. Start out by summoning and then swap to healing and dagger. And that's the formula i use right now. So I've ended up with Resto almost 60, destruction 52-53, Speech 50, One Hand 72ish , Smithing 50+ and most others between 20-30. I've probably explored 70% of the map (i explore allot) and killed about 10 dragons (only 2 from the questline and the rest is unnamed free roaming dragons). Oh and I'm lvl30.
    A buddy of mine said destruction spells get almost too powerful once you get them to 80-90%. They cause too much collateral damage, so you can't have a companion or use the spell when townsfolk are around or you will kill them all.

I think the shouts serve as a kind of magic for non-mages, but the destruction spells are too powerful not to master. Right now I use sneak and archery to attack, then switch to sword/shield/magic when they get in close. I don't like that you can't really hide once enemies start looking for you. Or maybe my sneak isn't trained up enough.

Here's my character, I'm lvl19 now (I removed his elven helmet of eminent archery for this photo):

ScreenShot3.jpg

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Jounin
    My build right now.

The point in illusion is from the start that i regret placing. I almost regret all the points in Destruction too now that i rarely use it. But then again there ain't much else to put it in. One thing I'm wondering though. I usually use daggers (Using the sword Ghost Blade right now because it's weight is 1 and i want the pocket space for loot), but in One-Handed there isn't any perk for daggers. Is swords and daggers the same, or isn't there any perks for daggers except the sneak hit perk?

EDIT: Yea i gave my companion 2 staffs of fireball and she nuked the entire dungeon to hell. But then in the next dungeon i had a quest NPC following us and then they started fighting because both used fireball and hurt each other. Was a real pain. I like having a companion because of the extra pocket space she brings. I usually loot everything that is worth 10 times it's weight. Have Fireball, Chain Lightning and Ice storm myself so maybe i should try out going solo for a while.
    Last edited by TwisT; Wed, 11-16-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    A buddy of mine said destruction spells get almost too powerful once you get them to 80-90%. They cause too much collateral damage, so you can't have a companion or use the spell when townsfolk are around or you will kill them all.

I think the shouts serve as a kind of magic for non-mages, but the destruction spells are too powerful not to master. Right now I use sneak and archery to attack, then switch to sword/shield/magic when they get in close. I don't like that you can't really hide once enemies start looking for you. Or maybe my sneak isn't trained up enough.
    I think all magic in this game are overpowered. I'm at level 70 restoration right now and i pretty much don't take damage from anything except a boss character. Even bosses won't do much through my ward and one fast healing spell will recover half my hp bar.

One of my friend is playing a conjuration mage right now and it's pretty ridiculous. He can summon a Deadra or 2 of those spirits thing to fight for him while creating a magic bow that is probably just as strong as my equipment from maxing Smithing.

I made a new character, and was level 8 and just minding my own business in smithing some stuff in Riverwood when i hear this dude say something right behind me, so i turn around and there's three thugs that has apparently been hired to kill me, and they proceeded to do roflstomp my ass within a few seconds lol

After loading i knew they were coming so i was better prepared, but those guys were fucking hard as nails compared to other stuff my level, i had to kite them around town for quite some time with my bow, then melee'ing them one by one the few times they got separated or stuck behind some object.

When they finally died i stole all their shit, and just for the heck of it, i dragged their naked corpses over and threw em into the river, then watched as they slowly drifted down the stream :P

T'was awesome.

Felt quite satisfied after that.

"Always be yourself... unless you suck."

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    I don't like that you can't really hide once enemies start looking for you. Or maybe my sneak isn't trained up enough.
    Shadow Warrior is what you're after. It's unlocked in Sneak once you build it to 100pts.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist
    The point in illusion is from the start that i regret placing. I almost regret all the points in Destruction too now that i rarely use it. But then again there ain't much else to put it in. One thing I'm wondering though. I usually use daggers (Using the sword Ghost Blade right now because it's weight is 1 and i want the pocket space for loot), but in One-Handed there isn't any perk for daggers. Is swords and daggers the same, or isn't there any perks for daggers except the sneak hit perk?
    I'm positive that they're different. The only real way to use daggers outside of sneak-hit is to dual-wield.

Quote Originally Posted by Penner
    I made a new character, and was level 8 and just minding my own business in smithing some stuff in Riverwood when i hear this dude say something right behind me, so i turn around and there's three thugs that has apparently been hired to kill me, and they proceeded to do roflstomp my ass within a few seconds lol
    I bet you they're the same thugs who chased me throughout Whiterun in one of my previous posts.

Today I got an upgraded version and had an assassin try to slit my throat instead. He would have been successful too, if I hadn't stolen enough potions to run a shop.

Char's currently lvl16:

Sneak: 50
    Lock-picking: 36
    Pickpocketing: 56
    Alchemy: 21
    Restoration:20
    One-handed: 35
    Archery: 32
    Light Armour: 31

Everything else is sub-20. Mostly 15, with a few exceptions.

My archery would have been really bad, but then I went out on a session where I took a bow, 200 arrows, and walked out to shoot mammoths for a while. I originally wanted to build up my one-handed that way, but I couldn't really get close to them without dying. I built up shooting and Light Armour instead, lol.

I really need to find out all about deadly poisons, where to find the ingredients, and start making a shit tonne of it. My magic is shit, and I've done nothing to increase it. I can't even cast this "mummur" spell to soften my footsteps because it costs more than my mana bar. My Endurance is really high though, because I wanted to be able to dish out a whole of dual-wielding power attacks. A side effect is my high carrying capacity, so I might use that for potions and poisons.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

No offense Buff but those are pretty crappy stats for a lvl16. You need to spend more time questing and using skills in order to improve them. I'm not at my gaming PC right now but I'll list the skill levels for my lvl19 sneaking archer when I am.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Going with what Ani said, those are kinda poor Buff.

My Level 21 assassin/huntress:

Sneak: 73
    Archery: 51
    One-handed: 40
    Lockpick: 40
    Smithing: 35/36 (about to pop over)
    Light Armor: 35 (guessing this is low because I'm too good at one-shotting things)
    Enchanting: 32 (solely from disenchanting items)
    Speech: 31
    Destruction: 20
    Restoration: 21

Everything else is below 20, but Alchemy is the next thing about to get a serious boost. Though I'm still not sure if poisoning the bow poisons the arrows, or just poisons the bow itself (such as when you wack someone in the face in melee range).

You can totally hide once you're found out. I do it all the time mid-battle to boost my Sneak stat, which is why it is 73. You just run away and around a corner, under a cliff ledge, whatever keeps you out of sight for a second. Then you crouch and move away. Stay out of sight just long enough, and they'll lose you. That way you get a boost from each enemy twice. I'm pretty sure you don't get it more than once, but you definitely see separate boosts from:

- Sneaking near an enemy that hasn't noticed you yet. Or killing them or initiating combat via backstabbing.
    - Escaping from an enemy that has spotted you.

edit: The little silent rolling move you get makes escaping much easier. You move at normal speed or slightly higher, all while still considering sneaking. Helps you get out of visual range really fast.

I think I'm wearing too much heavy armor which makes noise even when I sneak. My sneak is around 50-60 right now. I've tried to flee and hide several times and basically once the enemy sees you, the eye almost never switches back to hidden unless I run several rooms away and hide. I guess once they are aware and actively looking for you, it's harder to sneak/stay hidden.

Trust me, I know, lol. I keep getting the shit beaten out of me when I do stuff. It's not even like I wanted to level up that fast.. but it just happens. I'm all for increasing my stats without increasing my level, but that can't happen right?

Every increase in skill increases your overall level exp.

It's not like in Oblivion where you can set a commonly used skill as your minor skill, such that you will take ages to improve on it, but you can improve on it almost indefinitely without increasing your own character level.

I think I'll go change my stone over to the Warrior one just to boost my close combat learning efficiency.

My lvl20's stats:

archery 55
    light armor 50
    sneak 52
    lockpicking 41
    destruction 27
    heavy armor 35
    block 34
    one-handed 47

I have a couple in the low 20s and the rest are in the middle teens. I really need to go find one of these stones.

Also, I found out you don't have to join any group to complete certain quests like I thought earlier.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be murdering everyone in the thieves guild in a couple days time. They really are pathetic, it will be mercy for them. Though I'll probably do it in a horribly gruesome fashion, so merciful may not be the right term.

Then I might check out the Dark Brotherhood. Possibly kill all of them too if things don't work out.

Hint to anyone specializing in magic: visit the college of Winterhold early in your questing. Not only do you gain a ton of skill points for various magic skills, it's a large side quest with a lot of stuff to kill and people to meet.

I'm now switching my skillset to be a thief-mage with specialization in conjuration. I love summoning spirits to fight for me while I take pot shots at enemies with my 52dmg bow that does 2x damage and 30% chance of critical hit when I'm sneaking.

What would likely be the best dagger material?

I hope there are some top-class crafters and enchanters around. I'm not good at any of that.. but I can pay someone who is.

You can go gather Ebony and 1 Deadra heart to make the Deadra knife, they're the best crafted weapons in the game.

There's also a quest involving an invitation to a museum, that quest will eventually lead to one of the best dagger in the game if you choose to keep it.

I see, thanks for that. Good to know there's some good stuff out there. The best I've been able to come up with is a Steel Dagger (fine). Then again, I've only just begun to encounter Elven and Dwarven stuff.

I might as well make use of my Pickpocket tree to get more gold and treasures when I go scavenging.

Updated stats:

lvl20:

Sneak: 71
    Lock-picking: 39
    Pickpocketing: 62
    Alchemy: 27
    Restoration:22
    One-handed: 43
    Archery: 33
    Light Armour: 35

Went to the mammoth grounds again and farmed one-handed instead. Too bad Whiterun keeps training more guards from their barracks. I almost assassinated them all too. Really, really wanted to make a ghost town out of that place to serve as an example of those who cross me.

PS: assassinating giants is fun. xD

Jounin
    Money is not an issue anymore. With Speech at 50+ and the perks that goes with it, an amulet that gives 10% better prices and loot from dungeons i have like 60000. And then i spend about 10000 each level on upgrading smithing the last 3-4 levels. Really want to get that Dragon and Daedric smithing. Have so much Dragon Bones and Scales in my house now. But then i have always sold every magic item. Never disenchanted anything until the last level i got too.

My biggest problem with this run was that i didn't figured out that the carriage at the stables took you to other citys, so i avoided going to places like Winterhold because it was so far to run from Whiterun. And since i always fast traveled to places i never passed the stables. It wasn't until i ran by foot to Windhelm (explored it on my way to Winterhold) that i ran past that carriage and got reminded i had seen that outside Whiterun. Another thing was that i forgot about the fact you could buy skill-levels. First i saw it but didn't have money to waste on it. Then i forgot about it. Wasn't until i was lvl20+ i started to train at trainers.

That would be one reason to start over. Also to make the character the way i want it. To get Sneak, Dagger, Resto my main combat abilitys. And then just learn Summon Fire araoch (or whatever their name is) and get a manapool that is able to summon it. And then get Pickpocket for the training for free trick i heard about (train and then pickpocket the money back, preferably when they sleep), Speech so i can sell my loot for tons, and then maybe Destruction or Archery so i have a means to go range on their asses.

EDIT: How do you screenshot in this game? Can't find anything in controls and Print Screen don't seem to work. Do i need a program like Fraps or something or is there a hidden SS-hotkey? Just got a mask that is so good but me and my companion look pretty ridiculous since my companion has a Dragon Priest mask on.
    Last edited by TwisT; Thu, 11-17-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Just completed one of the side quests that made my character (well.. me) think about where its morals really stood.

It's about the quest where a middle-eastern assassin-looking guy asks you to find this red guard girl in Whiterun and hand her over to them. Ignore if you wish to stay unspoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff's quest story

So this guy comes up to me and asks me to hand over to him a red guard girl. I end up finding her in one of the shops working as a maid/attendant in Whiterun and tell her there are people after her. She tells me that she's a noble run because she spoke out against the ruling party or something. She asks me to help her, and that she's willing to pay me for it.

I was given two choices:
    1) Go to the city where the assassins were and report that I've found the girl, or
    2) visit the Dragonreach dungeons to talk to the recently arrested novice assassin from their squad and pump some info from him before raiding the assassin's base.

I figured that helping out a noble will get me some money and treasure, perhaps more so than what some assassin squad could offer. So I proceeded to the dungeon, but the guy refused to talk unless I bailed him out with 100 gold. It must have been a game-locked feature because the cell won't open without a key (can't be picked), yet none of the guards had the key to the cell (only to the dungeon itself).

Why don't I just pay up then? Well... I kinda killed all the guards stationed at the dungeons while I was exacting my revenge..(^see previous post). No one seems to wander in there neither.

Poor girl lucked out. So I went to the city and reported to the Assassin leader. He asked me to lead the girl outside to the stables so he doesn't have to deal with infiltrating the city and dealing with guards.

And so with the promise of gold in my mind, I went back to the shop. To the anxious girl who was waiting for my good news, I lied. I liked thrice. I told her that the assassins were coming right now, and that she needs to hop on to the horse I've prepared so she can get away. She puts all her trust in me and we leave for the stables.

We hurried down to the stables in the middle of the night. She was obviously hurrying.. desperate to slip past the hands of her pursuers. I wasn't quite so in a rush. In fact, if you cared to notice.. you would have noticed me hanging back a little.. eyes narrowed, mouth sneering at the back of the girl who was so naive to believe one as selfish as myself.

When we got to the stables and walked around the main building. She expected her horse. What greeted her from the shadows was a distinctively dressed Dark Elf. An outlandish binding spell stiffled her cry of dismay, and as I looked down at her mummified body, those frozen eyes stared back.

The dark elf assassin told me that she was responsible for the infiltration of the deadric(?) forces in the war down south. Had she not backstabbed them, some city wouldn't have fallen and the war would have been over much sooner. He warned me that I should not have trusted a pretty face (coming from a dark elf, LOL) and paid me handsomely before getting ready to transport the girl back for judgement.

So that was my night of dirty work done. I could have thought about how such a young girl would lead demonic forces into her home country, or whether the assassins were really the ones making things up.

But no. Only one thing crossed my mind.

-It's dark. ....There are no guards. ....And there's a man in front of me with his back turned.

Was.. a man, anyway. But that didn't matter. Turned out he had another 200 gold that I didn't know about.

With his death, the paralysis spell broke, and what emerged was the same woman as before. Same youthful face.. but a very different expression. She too called me a fool for trusting a pretty face before lunging at me.

I ran into the wilderness, hoping to lose her. The plan was to counter-track her after she gives up. I think I heard a jingle in her pocket earlier..

But I guess things don't always go according to plan in life. Who exactly plans for a dragon to pop in from above? It crashed and burned the area behind me. Two wolves seemed to have caught its attention, and perhaps that girl too.

Whatever caught it's eye didn't put up much of a fight. A few moments later, the dragon was once again looking for a source of entertainment. It found me.

It seemed unlikely that I could sneak my dagger into that thing, so I swapped over to an Elven sword I stole from the Jarl, and a Scimitar I stole from the Dark Elf just earlier.

The fools at Whiterun all call me Dragonborn. That I'm the descendant of some ancient race with talents for slaying dragons. Some sort of miracle. As I looked the dragon in the eye, I say to all that: "Bullshit".

I don't know squat about Dragonborns and what not. I don't even know who my parents are. If living on the streets taught you one thing, it's that you can't plan life - but you'd better prepare for it.

And so with a sword in hand, some eighty-nine potions and a will to live, Rachel faced her third dragon.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Thu, 11-17-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwisT View Post
    i spend about 10000 each level on upgrading smithing the last 3-4 levels.

EDIT: How do you screenshot in this game? Can't find anything in controls and Print Screen don't seem to work. Do i need a program like Fraps or something or is there a hidden SS-hotkey? Just got a mask that is so good but me and my companion look pretty ridiculous since my companion has a Dragon Priest mask on.
    For people who plan to level smithing in the future, you don't need to spend a lot of money. Spamming Iron Daggers and Leather Bracers will work just fine and it takes about 10~ craft to gain one level at the 90's. Dragon's stuff are at 100 but they're not the best, the Deadric armor has higher defense than the Dragon's Bones armor. The only reason to bother with Dragon at all is if you prefer light armors because Dragon's Scales offer amazing defense for almost no weight. It's also much easier to get material for the Dragon's sets since Ebony and Deadric Hearts can be a bitch to gather.

Print Screen worked for me, your screen will freeze for a second if it's working properly. Then the screen shot file will be inside your Skyrim folder.

Is Dragon armour Light Armour classed, or just a lighter Heavy Armour?

Dragon's Scales are the same type as the Elven's gears so they are both considered light armors. Dragon's Bones are Plate Armors.