Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Piece Chapter 643

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    You proved my point really, old villians were weak sauce, this villians are weak sauce, what`s new and why are we dissapointed?
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster View Post
    You proved my point really, old villians were weak sauce, this villians are weak sauce, what`s new and why are we dissapointed?
    Because when Luffy fought those villains, the viewers had no idea how far he could push himself. So those fights didn't seem so easy at the time. But over here, we are fully aware of how weak the new fishmen pirates really are compared to the strawhats. Imagine a significantly long arc with Bellamy the hyena as the main villain.

I kinda thought the pre-grandline arcs were a bit bland and repetitive.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Splash! View Post
    Because when Luffy fought those villains, the viewers had no idea how far he could push himself. So those fights didn't seem so easy at the time. But over here, we are fully aware of how weak the new fishmen pirates really are compared to the strawhats. Imagine a significantly long arc with Bellamy the hyena as the main villain.
    Yeah, it`s called Skypea.

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    I kinda thought the pre-grandline arcs were a bit bland and repetitive.
    I totally hated the series until Arlong. The part where Nami stabs herself? too sad.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Yeah, it`s called Skypea.
    In spite of Luffy lucking out with his DF abilities, Enel posed a far more serious threat to the strawhats in general than either Bellamy or these New Fishmen pirates. I don't understand the comparison...

Enel, the guy that was hyped as the ultimate enemy for god knows how many chapters only did one succesfull attack on Luffy, ONE.

Anyway, how about we look at this as if it were an RPG game, did the past enemies gave Luffy experience? sure, did he leveled up? absolutelly, did they dropped Luffy`s HP to dangerously low levels? NO, how do i know? the rest time, this is a point you just can`t ignore, answer me this, a simple yes or no will suffice, do you REALLY think Arlong pushed Luffy as much as Crocodile did?

Enel, the guy that was hyped as the ultimate enemy for god knows how many chapters only did one succesfull attack on Luffy, ONE.

Anyway, how about we look at this as if it were an RPG game, did the past enemies gave Luffy experience? sure, did he leveled up? absolutelly, did they dropped Luffy`s HP to dangerously low levels? NO, how do i know? the rest time, this is a point you just can`t ignore, answer me this, a simple yes or no will suffice, do you REALLY think Arlong pushed Luffy as much as Crocodile did?
    Luffy's win was purely circumstantial. Not a real indicator of the threat level that Enel actually posed. Need I remind you of the damage he did to the rest of the strawhats including Zoro. Even with his handicap, he had all the tools to beat Luffy (lightning speed, mantra, a heated trident). He was just too arrogant and shocked by the fact that anyone could stand up to the power of GOD. Hardly a Bellamy...

I just don't think you would call Arlong weaksauce if he was the strongest enemy you had observed in the series upto that point, especially since he was able to overpower Sanji and Zoro. Definitely seemed like an enemy worthy of the captain at the time. Bellamy and the New Fishmen pirates fall into a category of enemies that the reader is already aware of as being weak (compared to the strawhats) before going into the fight. That's my main point.

Lastly, you seem to think that a strength of a villain is directly proportional to amount of the damage that Luffy receives in a direct fight. I don't agree with this at all. It has alot to do with circumstances, like with Enel. Either ways, I am not arguing the fact that Crocodile was more dangerous than Arlong. But the amount of damage Luffy took in his fight governed by the time it took for him to figure out a weakness in Crocodile's logia power. Had he figured it out sooner, he would have probably taken less damage. Had he not figured it out at all, he would probably be dead. I would think of Smoker as having strength comparable to Crocodile, yet pre-timeskip Luffy would be defeated by him over and again until he could find a way to effectively counter his logia powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Splash! View Post
    I just don't think you would call Arlong weaksauce if he was the strongest enemy you had observed in the series upto that point, especially since he was able to overpower Sanji and Zoro. Definitely seemed like an enemy worthy of the captain at the time. Bellamy and the New Fishmen pirates fall into a category of enemies that the reader is already aware of as being weak (compared to the strawhats) before going into the fight. That's my main point.
    Arlong only overpowered Sanji, remember, Zoro was deeply wonded and when Arlong realized this he was scared shitless of him.

If that`s your point then don`t you consider it a bit refreshing that the enemy is the underdog and not the other way around this time? certainly fits with the concept of just how strong the straw hats have gotten in this 2 year period.

ANBU Captain
    Gentlemen, if one thing is certain about this manga its that continuity does not exist in fights here. That's what gives One piece its flare in the sense that all of the fights have variables. Things are circumstantial and somethings aren't. True the villans early on may not have seemed impressive to say luffy but they might crush someone else or be able to hold their ground. Not the best example but Mr.3 got wrecked by luffy right? Well he was really helpful in the fight against Magellan in impel down. Wiper was strong and got beat up but later on in the same arc he proved to have the same kind of versatility as Zoro when he used the reject dial a bunch of times. The great thing about one piece is that there are no power levels, making reappearances of other characters interesting to the main plot. Buggy has been around since shanks and him were on the freakin pirate king's ship and he is STILL a weakling. One piece characters just boast their usefulness to the story and fights in a variation of ways. Sanji isnt the strongest SH on the team but he always has a strange way of being in the right place at the right time and with really useful knowledge(didnt he read the whole book on the devil fruits?). All in all you both have solid points, you guys are just both right.

Attached Images Attached Images

One person I really want Luffy to fight very soon is Smoker. It would be a good indicator of his progress.

Has smoker been promoted? I think I remember him getting a promotion at one point to Commodore, but I am not sure if he has gone past that.

Nah, he's still a Commodore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marik View Post
    Nah, he's still a Commodore.
    How do you know? He might have been promoted during the time skip.