Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Videos Thread

Interesting Videos Thread

I'm tired of clogging up "The Internet" with unfunny videos. Perhaps, one day, "Funny" videos and "Interesting" videos will join hands together and not look upon each other in prejudice. Perhaps, videos will not be judged by their genre but by the contents of their character!

Anyway, here's a super cool video. I am absolutely in loved with Hip Hopized Japanese culture.

"Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I think this thread is redundent. The Funny Videos thread has its share of unfunny videos, and we've even had input in the past about that. After the reply that the Funny Vid thread is practically just a Video thread (which is alright), it was never brought up again. I think Animeniax was the one who brought up how videos were unfunny, and Xan replied.

If this sets a precedence, it justifies things like "The Horror Video thread" or "The Movie Trailer Video thread".

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/20...ry?sc=fb&cc=fp

This is pretty interesting. I wonder if it works with people whose languages have no differentiation between 'b' and 'f'.

I know some people who simply can't hear the differentiation between words with a slightly different pronunciation, because their accents just don't pronounce words that way.

This British guy I know accidentally said N-*** instead of Nigga, because he couldn't hear the difference in normal spoken word. At all. No matter how much it was explained to him.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Thing is our linguistic brain evolution almost totally stops after the age of 4 or 5. Or it becomes incredibly less efficient in deciphering and registering new linguistic sounds.
    So I can understand why your british guy can't comprehend even after being explained. This also explains why it's so hard to learn languages that are too different from your natural one regarding sounds, rythm and intonations.

Regarding the McGurk effect, it worked on me. But I might be even more affected than anyone else, because since English isn't my natural language, I need to read on the lips even more than you do even in that video since it's presented in English. But even then, the sounds are so simple that I'm ashamed it worked that well. Closing my eyes proved how stupidly efficient this is...

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    I know some people who simply can't hear the differentiation between words with a slightly different pronunciation, because their accents just don't pronounce words that way.

This British guy I know accidentally said N-*** instead of Nigga, because he couldn't hear the difference in normal spoken word. At all. No matter how much it was explained to him.
    Don't most Brits pronounce words that end in "a" with an "ar" sound? So saying "ni**a" will end up sounding like the actual word.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Don't most Brits pronounce words that end in "a" with an "ar" sound? So saying "ni**a" will end up sounding like the actual word.
    I'm not really sure I understand your question, but it depends on the accent. RP/Queen's English deletes all Rs unless they are followed by a vowel but other accents pronounce the R. Yorkshire, Bristol, and Somerset accents, for example.

Somerset accent

Here's a full distribution of rhotic and non-rhotic English accents

Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/20...ry?sc=fb&cc=fp

This is pretty interesting. I wonder if it works with people whose languages have no differentiation between 'b' and 'f'.
    I'm curious to see how Spanish speakers would interpret it. Most Spanish dialects do not differentiate between b and v.

Edit: I vote we make one big "Video" megathread.
    Edit 2: I haven't had a Linguistics Boner this hard since I graduated from college.
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Fri, 09-23-2011 at 05:59 PM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

I heard "fah" like two times but the rest of the time I heard "bah".

Me = defective....?

I keep hearing "bah" but its true that when he motions his teeth for a "fah" the sound feels weird, it made me feel uncomfortable.
    The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Strange video from a Hertzog documentary wherein a penguin goes insane and runs off into the mountains to die:

Hertzog tries to alleviate the situation by asking about gay penguins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipxaoVpuE-I#t=816s

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

This would make a good Zoloft commercial.

Or Happy Feet.

-

It is extremely interesting to me that some people can go out into the wilderness, by themselves or with a minimal amount of people, and just live with it for months or even years at a time. No TV, maybe some books. Just them and the study.

-

Crazy dog vs. people beating the shit out of each other?!?!?

Last edited by Sapphire; Sun, 09-25-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    they are trying to beat the shit out of the dog, the man in white tries to help the other man
    watch carefully at the beginning, the dog is the agressor and no one else

so either something has happened outside the screen, or the dog is just agressive as fuck

Why didn't they just kick it in it's stupid dog face?
    -----------------

i dont get that either,...

edit: funny, at around 0:48 it looks like the dog vanished

Why is there a dog in the barber shop to begin with? lol @ that one dude looks like he's slapboxing with the dog.

It bites the shit out of that guys leg at :47. It seemed pissed.

Or happy? Its tail was wagging.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    They should've curb stomped that dude that led it in there.

Worth a watch. For sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik View Post
    They should've curb stomped that dude that led it in there.
    You guys all remind me of this guy with your harsh words:

50313_2201249007_8432_n.jpg

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?