Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Videos Thread

Oh gawd, dis music.

It sounds just as good EVEN BETTER live.

Live link
    Last edited by Sapphire; Wed, 06-19-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    That's cool. Things that pop into mind:

1) Durability: how durable the layer is, such that you'll know when to reapply before it's too late
    2) Breath-ability: Will the shirt/shoes breath, or will it feel like you're wearing a plastic bag? Does it harden the fibres?
    3) If my shirt resists fluids, does that mean it won't absorb any sweat from me? That could be both a good and bad thing.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

From the website

"NeverWet™ coatings have remained under seawater for over a year and reemerged completely dry."

Certain things like skin oil and soap will wash it off, so you can actually rub it off just by using your hands.

Most of the compound in the stuff is no more toxic than spray paints, which isn't to say that it's safe. I wouldn't go about spraying this stuff on cookwares. There's need for more research into the actual safety of the product.

The coat it leaves is not clear either, you'll get a layer of filmy residue. Overall though, there's plenty of practical applications for a product like this.

I would also imagine that it wouldn't work on all surfaces. the shirt they used it on looks like Microfiber so something with a lower thread count might not give enough support for a firm layer.

Amazing new product!

So any hydrophobic solvent will dissolve the Neverwet layers (oils).

AMAZING, I NEED THIS!!!!
    Too bad it probably doesn't work on paintings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    Amazing new product!

So any hydrophobic solvent will dissolve the Neverwet layers (oils).

AMAZING, I NEED THIS!!!!
    Too bad it probably doesn't work on paintings.
    Give it a clear acrylic spray first, then apply.

That's too risky! No way it can be used on an oil painting. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    That's too risky! No way it can be used on an oil painting. :/
    The acrylic spray shouldn't do anything to the oil painting... except stop it from drying out properly if it's still wet.

edit: then again, (with current info) I would never spray my figures with this stuff.. so I can see what you mean.

I want to be better at medicine.
    I want to be better at football.

But more than the above, I want to be better like this:

My excuse is that I won't find games fun anymore if I'm as good as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I want to be better at medicine.
    I want to be better at football.

But more than the above, I want to be better like this:

My excuse is that I won't find games fun anymore if I'm as good as that.
    It's said that you have to spend 10000 hours at anything in order to master it. Assuming 8 hours a day, that's 1250 days, or 3.5 years of 8 hours of practice a day. I think the fact that it takes a lot less practice to be that good at MP FPS means it's not a worthwhile skill to "master".

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

I thought about placing this in the "What are you listening to now" thread, but the execution warranted it to be much more "interesting".

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep.

I miss these Gap clothing ads from the late 90s and early 2000s. They were interesting and catchy. I'll always remember the bouncy chick from around 16 seconds in this one:

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

This video gave me a science boner.

--

They did a full flight yesterday reaching orbit with the second stage while the first stage made a successful "touch down" in the ocean. Proof of concept at full scale, they don't intend to recover it at least on this flight, but it hit the ocean at a safe speed, like this. No videos of that yet. Musk says they're going out in the ocean (in rough seas) to see if they can find it.

edit:

The new model also successfully deployed a set of landing legs before it gently splashed down.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 04-19-2014 at 05:53 AM.

Cool video, but what's the significance?

SpaceX will be the first company to retro-rocket a first stage of an orbital rocket back to a recoverable and reusable condition. Cost savings are enormous. Also badass.

It's like 1950s pulp scifi where the rocket lands on an asteroid nose-up and the astronaut zaps up some aliens with his ray gun to rescue a bombshell space princess, then takes off.

Rocket first stages are all dumped in the ocean or smash into bits in Altai (edit: and some bits in New Mexico desert). 1949-present, but not for long.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 04-19-2014 at 08:50 AM.

That looks like they just played the video in reverse after the launch to show it "landing" safely.

Just kidding That's pretty amazing, being able to launch and land safely. Hopefully they can use the same system to safely land craft on other worlds, and not just to recover the launch rockets on Earth. As of the last Mars mission, they were still parachuting and bouncing landing craft and hoping it survives the crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    As of the last Mars mission, they were still parachuting and bouncing landing craft and hoping it survives the crash.
    Curiosity was a hybrid retro-rocket crane system. It's too heavy for parachutes. In general, Mars' atmosphere is too thin to drop them. Crane blasted it's retros and lowered rover to surface...then it crashed a ways off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Curiosity was a hybrid retro-rocket crane system. It's too heavy for parachutes. In general, Mars' atmosphere is too thin to drop them. Crane blasted it's retros and lowered rover to surface...then it crashed a ways off.
    Right I forgot about that. I remember it was different from previous landings. They did use parachutes but they also needed the retro rockets because as you said the payload was too heavy for parachutes alone in that atmosphere. But it would be nice to be able to touchdown smoothly and calmly instead of any type of release and crash landing.

It's amazing what SpaceX is doing, though I'm slightly concerned about private business taking on endeavors such as space travel. Will we see "SpaceX" etched into the surface of the moon and viewable from Earth in the next few years?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    It's amazing what SpaceX is doing, though I'm slightly concerned about private business taking on endeavors such as space travel. Will we see "SpaceX" etched into the surface of the moon and viewable from Earth in the next few years?
    My opinion has always been, "At least someone is doing it."

When the US gov't won't fund NASA, I'm thrilled that the Russians are still reliable as ever, and have great hopes for the Chinese and Indians.

NASA will just start paying SpaceX instead of Roscosmos once the Dragon capsule is man-rated. I'm also of the opinion that breaking the old contractors will be a good thing. Hamilton-Sundstrand and Alliant Techsystems in particular. They throw shitfits every time another company comes up with a cheaper and/or better design for their aerospace projects. The SLS (Space Launch System) is loaded to the gills with pork.

Elon Musk has his head in the right place. Make it cheap and reliable.

Disclosure: I don't work for any of these companies or their competitors. I'm just a fan of space exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    My opinion has always been, "At least someone is doing it."

When the US gov't won't fund NASA, I'm thrilled that the Russians are still reliable as ever, and have great hopes for the Chinese and Indians.

NASA will just start paying SpaceX instead of Roscosmos once the Dragon capsule is man-rated. I'm also of the opinion that breaking the old contractors will be a good thing. Hamilton-Sundstrand and Alliant Techsystems in particular. They throw shitfits every time another company comes up with a cheaper and/or better design for their aerospace projects. The SLS (Space Launch System) is loaded to the gills with pork.

Elon Musk has his head in the right place. Make it cheap and reliable.

Disclosure: I don't work for any of these companies or their competitors. I'm just a fan of space exploration.
    Great points. It's not that I think the government is the best backer for any endeavor. While companies like Google or even SpaceX
    are advancing humanity and technology and exploration, when they become so big that they effectively control policy and discourse on their relative fields then it becomes a concern. If SpaceX works under the auspices of NASA, then that's ideal.