Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transportation

I like the idea of Insights, but the back window is kind of hard to see through. Are you having that issue? Also I think the guy at the bike shop I frequent is taking the piss. He lifted my seat and handlebars super high, and now I can't even touch the ground while sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post
    Also I think the guy at the bike shop I frequent is taking the piss. He lifted my seat and handlebars super high, and now I can't even touch the ground while sitting.
    It takes a few minutes to adjust them yourself...

Someone told me that the average person could walk 15 miles in a day with no duress. I wonder if this is true. It does not seem like a lot.

Depends on the weather for sure.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Blog Entries
    More like it depends on the country, I hardly think most Amerifats could walk 5 miles without dropping dead on the way

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Well, the average American is taking less than 5500 steps a day. 2000 steps average for a mile, 2.75 miles average a day for your typical redneck ( )
    The average Amish is taking 18 000 steps a day, 9 miles. Strangely enough, they almost have no weight problems, few type 2 diabetes and other weight related illnesses.
    But you could always argue that 9 miles are somewhere 2.5 to 3 hours a day. A lot of time in a society organised around cars, with great distances to be covered for your work, distances that you can not walk/bike conveniently, let alone cover with public transportation.

I do not mean to say this is all society's fault, but it plays a great part.

Now if someone tells me 15 miles is easy for the average person... well, it's 66% more than your average amish, so I'd say bullshit
    And remember that it's 5 hours for an average guy that walks and should still be able to hold a conversation breathing normally

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I've never had problems with breathing after walking for a long time, it's more my feet that get sore if I'm not wearing proper shoes; walking around cologne/gamescom for six hours killed my toes hard, but I wasn't really tired at all.
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    I've never had problems with breathing after walking for a long time, it's more my feet that get sore if I'm not wearing proper shoes; walking around cologne/gamescom for six hours killed my toes hard, but I wasn't really tired at all.
    There's that rule that you should be able to walk (or train) at the maximum level that allows you to still be able to talk normally.
    When you go past that, your training will probably be too strong and create problems.

For your problem, you have to choose shoes with a better fit I guess.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

well i've been walking for 48h straight at some conventions(i'm not one of those lazy ass guys who just get into one room and spend all the time over there, mind you), Walking that much is not a problem if you aren't forcing yourself(ie walking too fast).
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

I think it is more of a matter of what you normally do in terms of how long you can walk or stand. When I worked warehouse and service jobs, my feet killed for the first week or two and then I never had any problems no matter what I did. Now that I spend 9+ hours sitting in a chair, standing for more than three hours or so makes my feet hurt again.

As for Americans being fat, that's mostly a suburban/rural issue. We have to drive everywhere to get any place. City dwellers walk all over the place (or at least walk to the nearest public transportation), and tend to be in better shape. The vast majority of the fatties live in the suburbs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelbair View Post
    well i've been walking for 48h straight at some conventions(i'm not one of those lazy ass guys who just get into one room and spend all the time over there, mind you), Walking that much is not a problem if you aren't forcing yourself(ie walking too fast).
    You must come out of those smelling funky as all hell :x

Something I'd like to try someday:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjQz_cYjsH4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    Something I'd like to try someday:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjQz_cYjsH4
    Just how fucking rich is that area? From the buildings to the cars it was like something out of a Richie rich comic

Maybe I'm evil but I was waiting for the driver to crash, and was very disappointed when he didn't. With that driving style relying on luck so much, it would only be a matter of time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Maybe I'm evil but I was waiting for the driver to crash, and was very disappointed when he didn't. With that driving style relying on luck so much, it would only be a matter of time.
    I noticed that too, it was like the laws of traffic didn't apply at all.

Maybe it's because it's below 50cc or some shit... it's been a while since i read on that.

Well, it's a electric assisted bike... common nick for such bikes is Pedelec.
    Thing is, they did go to the extreme and fit lots of cells and a powerfull motor.

The video was shot in Monaco, explaining the luxury all around... The bike itself is a whoping 12 000€ (mainly cells I guess...)

Another angle where you see the guy pedaling... and more peaceful ride in Berlin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzsHF...layer_embedded

Regarding road legal issues?
    The second vid shows the thing is equiped like a moped... and I guess should be like a 125cm3

In Europe, that would be considered a pedelec only if it is a bike, the electric motor is 250W or lower, electric assistance stops at 25km/h.

then you have mopeds, no need for motorbike driving liscence, but you need a motorbike helmet, insurance, vehicule lights, number plate... but you're limited to 45km/h

Next step is a light motorbike driving liscence, up to 125cm3 for petrol engines. I do not know for other types. But that bike would fit in that category. So you need plates, insurance, motorbike helmet, vehicule lights etc...

This is not your average bicycle, isn't it?

Where the video was edited... I wonder if that's where the near misses occurred, or maybe he got a traffic citation at one or more of those edited out parts It would have been funny to see his hands signing for a traffic citation from that camera view... lol
    Last edited by DeadlyOats; Tue, 09-13-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling

I dunno what was so crazy about the way he drove...cyclist all weave in and out of traffic like that here, I do it too sometimes if I'm in a hurry.
    -----------------

if i could i would kill those cyclists - seriously - they are most dangerous thing on the roads.(from a car driver point of view)
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE