Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Game: Battlefield 3

YEAP! Pretty productive session don't you think? ACE SQUAD FTW! The in game communication really helped us a lot! I think we went around 4 hrs of playing lol...

I am currently mastering AN-94 machine gun. It also has a slow rate of fire but it has a devistating power. The night vision scope helped me a lot too.

Thanks shinta|hikari for the sig.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    I want that weapon too
    but whenever I start playing Assault I'm getting mad because I can't do shit against tanks and vehicles.

however I don't want to play support or engineer either!!.. which is why I'm currently playing recon most of the time.
    I grab my SV98 and go straight to the frontline.

spreading havoc among enemies is so easy with that thing, because it feels like the bullets from that weapon are as huge as tank-shells and soldiers heads are 1 square meter huge
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sun, 11-06-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33
    I want that weapon too
    but whenever I start playing Assault I'm getting mad because I can't do shit against tanks and vehicles.
    That's the main reason I like Support so much.

I pretty much play it like an Assault class, I snipe with it every now and again, and whenever a tank rolls up my C4 gives me confidence knowing it's not 100% hopeless.

I may consider Recon later though, since the SV98 seems so badass.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I had an excellent run in Metro (conquest) with the Support class, US side. I put holographic sights on the M27 IAR (starting gun), Ammo perk, dashed up to the top of the escalators and dropped the bipod. Mowed 'em down again and again. Probably my best kill streak so far. It doesn't work as well from the Russian side, because you can't really set up down the escalators, you just get sniped.

Buff uses the C4 really well. I just get shot or run over.

Which is why I play Engineer the rest of the time. I had a great Kharg Island run playing it. Took out at least three tanks solo, got two more with a teammate. They're a really versatile class overall (which is why so many play it...). On the tight maps, give them a shotgun. On the open maps, use the rifles. They'll wreck things. I'm kind of torn between the AT mines, which never seem to do me any good, and the torch, which is always awesome.

The only loadout problems I always have are on open maps. I seem to always have the wrong launcher. On a map with a lot of aircraft, I'm lugging around the Stingers when I run into a tank. When we start getting chewed up by a heli, I've got the RPG. I switch...and then I somehow still have the wrong one.

I also still possess my ability to crash any aircraft. Got into a jet today, went right into the water.

So what's the general consensus of you guy's opinions on the game? I know the small details from reviews like how weak the single player is and etc.

Will get this for the PC eventually when I get a good enough rig although I could get it on the console but that would be doing myself and the game itself an injustice.

Things essential to making this game fun:

-Friends. GW can help out here if you have none

-Mics/Speakers. Ebay + $5 = solved.

-Time to spend 1-2+hr sessions. It takes trial and error to get everyone onto the same team, then squad, because BF3 doesn't like self-managements of squads. Once you DO organise yourselves into the same squad though, BF3 will make sure you spawn into the same team/squad every round afterwards. That's why you'll need to be prepared to invest some time into getting everything to work right - then enjoy the game for even longer to get your investment back.

-The patience/mindset to get your first few unlocks so you're no longer cannon-fodder. Modern Warfare's been better at this. The starting guns in MW2 are powerful enough for you go dive into the action without sucking too much. The latter weapons add to the fun without necessarily increasing your lethality. In BF3, levelling up is required to get some better guns and gadgets. You must weather the storm before getting to those. To make the process slower, the US and RU start with different guns, so you must get xp for those separately to unlock their scopes etc.

You will find that a fair chunk of time will be spent travelling on the map or trying to spot enemies to shoot. If you can't handle that and need to shoot people quickly (think Quake), then this game may not be for you. General online game-play isn't that tactically demanding, but for the most part, run-and-gun won't work. (A bit hypocritical for me to say this, but anyway.. )

I would suggest to start off playing a bit of Team Death Matches in the beginning. It helps you get used to the new guns, makes it easier to learn some of the maps and enemy density helps you get more kills.

I haven't touched SP or co-op so I can't tell you anything about that.

co-op is weak most of the time, SP has some pretty awesome and intense shit

I don't know why they say the SP is weak
    it's short yes, but its not bad.
    jet-missions and tank mission ftw.
    it looks so freaking beautiful

however the MP is where the true fun starts, you'll rage a lot, but you will also have alot of fun.
    when tanks, infantry and aircraft come together, thats battlefield at its finest

I'm considerably less skilled at this game than Buff is, so I'm going to respond to his own post as someone who frankly, isn't very good at this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    [1]: -Friends. GW can help out here if you have none

[2]: -Mics/Speakers. Ebay + $5 = solved.

[3]: -Time to spend 1-2+hr sessions. It takes trial and error to get everyone onto the same team, then squad, because BF3 doesn't like self-managements of squads. Once you DO organise yourselves into the same squad though, BF3 will make sure you spawn into the same team/squad every round afterwards. That's why you'll need to be prepared to invest some time into getting everything to work right - then enjoy the game for even longer to get your investment back.

[4]: -The patience/mindset to get your first few unlocks so you're no longer cannon-fodder. Modern Warfare's been better at this. The starting guns in MW2 are powerful enough for you go dive into the action without sucking too much. The latter weapons add to the fun without necessarily increasing your lethality. In BF3, levelling up is required to get some better guns and gadgets. You must weather the storm before getting to those. To make the process slower, the US and RU start with different guns, so you must get xp for those separately to unlock their scopes etc.

[5]: You will find that a fair chunk of time will be spent travelling on the map or trying to spot enemies to shoot. If you can't handle that and need to shoot people quickly (think Quake), then this game may not be for you. General online game-play isn't that tactically demanding, but for the most part, run-and-gun won't work. (A bit hypocritical for me to say this, but anyway.. )

[6]: I would suggest to start off playing a bit of Team Death Matches in the beginning. It helps you get used to the new guns, makes it easier to learn some of the maps and enemy density helps you get more kills.

[7]: I haven't touched SP or co-op so I can't tell you anything about that.
    [1]: Absolutely. You'll find a squad's worth of us around, and considering I've been playing with Buff with zero problems and he's an ocean and a half away, their netcode is pretty damn good.

[2]: Speakers yes, mics...not really necessary. They make things more efficient, but the in game chat 'K' for team 'L' for squad, works surprisingly well for making large strategies. The best games are the ones where the teams communicate, no matter the method. There are also in game commands/warnings that work surprisingly well for the most common things (namely, ammo and getting pinned down). The biggest advantage when you're not playing on a Hardcore server is the spotting mechanic, [pressing 'Q']. Do it whenever you can, and do it often. Makes it seamless for your team to fill in the gaps with a quick rocket launch, cover fire, sniper fire, or airstrike. Plus you get exp for it!

[3]: Pretty much agree here. You need to put in some time when you play. In addition, it helps you get a feel for your squad, team as a whole, what guns work for you, which don't, and learning hiding spots on the maps.

[4]: Unlocks suck. You'll always feel outclassed by the people who can play 12+ hours a day, but if you can get kills, you'll catch up quickly. If you're not that good, and fill in the fodder role more often than not (i.e. Ryllharu), it can get a little frustrating. But I disagree with Buff that it puts you at a huge disadvantage. It makes things harder, sure, but there's a simple way around it:

[5]: The maps are big, and take some time to figure out. So what you should do above all else...is back up your squad. If you find yourself in a squad composed of lone wolves (or 100% recons), switch ASAP. Experiment from the safety of a squad. Try out the different classes, follow one or a pair of them around and stick to them. You'll learn the maps quicker this way, and backing them up will keep the both of you alive better. Even if you're the cannon fodder. Your squadmate will see them while the enemy is busy pumping you full of lead, and get a bonus for either saving you, or avenging you. BF is a team game. It is meant to be played that way, and it will reward you for it.

[6]: Disagree a bit here. Play whatever mode you like the best. I can't stand deathmatch modes unless it is a UT/Quake style game (I like the twitch shooters, so sue me...), and Rush rubs me the wrong way, because a lot of the maps are honestly pretty unbalanced given where DICE placed the MCOMs. So I always play Conquest. But if Rush (Assault/Search and Destroy/etc.) or Death Matches are your thing, by all means play it. While ranking up is important, play for fun.

[7]: Same, I haven't even touched it either.

EDIT: To actually answer animus' question: It is a ton of fun so far, whether you play in random pick-up teams, or with friends. Even if you're kind of bad at the game. It's a team game, play it like one, and you'll have fun. I get frustrated sometimes, but I don't think I've ever actually raged at the game, even once.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Mon, 11-07-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Just to be sure, you guys are MP'ing on PC, right? I skimmed through and didn't figure it out. It would be cool to play with some of you guys online, but Skyrim is coming out soon too...

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Pirate Skyrim; buy Battlefield 3.

Yea, we're playing on PC.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifus View Post
    Pirate Skyrim; buy Battlefield 3.
    Totally agree. I'll add you later Lucifus!

I understand that sometimes when you are feeling outclassed because of the weapons and the class does not suit you, it really feels frustrating. I was trying out recon because I've been playing assault since forever and it turns out that it was not a good decision. I failed so much. Felt like a total newb. I just need around 3-5k exp to get the badass 3rd sniper single bolt action and I can't reach it because I keep dying.

I have all the weapons of assault except for the last two guns you get from co-op. I also haven't played campaign or co-op.
    Last edited by oyabun; Mon, 11-07-2011 at 10:32 PM.

My experience with recon hasn't been that bad. Unlocked the 3rd sniper last night, and it kicks ass. I found it hard to get enough points to reach there with the default snipers though, so I reconned with with the multi-class SMG instead. Capturing flags also gains points for whatever class you're using at the time, so be speedy if your current weapons aren't ideal.

Recon plays better once you have played a bit and know the maps - more so than other classes. I hated it at the beginning because I could never find anyone, but they always found me.

I'm tossing up between the Pecheneg and the M240B. The first is plenty powerful as I metioned before, but the latter has better recoil. It's funny that I actually prefer the M240 in close combat. Walk around with it scopeless and on full-auto on Bazaar Markets' alleyways.

Oyabun nicknamed it my Rambo gun. xD.

Do it anywhere else though, and prepare to get sniped.

Is that legit or a hack? I'd heard about some problems with hacks on BF3 MP.

I'm probably going to get into either BF3 or MW3 soon. Single-player games have grown stale for me recently.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Legit as far as I know.

go BF3 then

you can always play CoD like infantry only maps, so you pretty much get both with 1 game, and better graphics and cool knife animations (gotta love them <3)

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post

go BF3 then

you can always play CoD like infantry only maps, so you pretty much get both with 1 game, and better graphics and cool knife animations (gotta love them <3)
    I prefer the standing-takedown (from behind) better than the prone-takedown. The M98B is a bit annoying to use atm.. I don't know if I'm just waay too used to the SV98 after such a long time that adapting is difficult. The L96 was easier to adapt to.

The QBU-88 rocks. I generally play that like a more accurate, less rambo-ish Pecheneg, though that gun takes out average snipers in its own right.

I have been playing Recon lately. I posted before that I was playing badly as a recon but now after trying to learn the ways of recon(lol), I have gotten better on it. I usually search a squad with a sniper member on it and then I follow the player to check the places good for sniping.

Using L96 atm with Buff's advice in the accessory department. Getting revenge on those damn snipers feels so much win.

The next massive update to Battlefield 3 is set to go live on June 4 for PC and Xbox users, following on June 5 for PS3 owners. Chief among the fixes include a patch for the M26 Lightweight Shotgun System, and a slightly-reduced suppression effect, as well as improved VTOL fighter jet (F35) performance. Here's the full changelog.

http://games.on.net/article/15742/Ma...Live_on_June_4

Amongst everything...

".... Tweaked some tracers on sniper rounds to have better visibility at range (the tracers are smaller)...."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully this will make BF3 fun again.

This is long overdue! Atleast we can finally play again Buff.