Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This laptop or that laptop.

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar

This laptop or that laptop.

So i`m going to buy a new laptop soon and i was wondering which one is better.

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/s...00/L305D-S5881

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/s...500/L505-S6946

Do notice my pc/laptops knowledge can be rounded up to somewhere between 0 and 1 (out of 100), and the main use will be to play WoW on my free time, any tips?
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Why are these your choices? Like they say on the pages for both of them, they are discontinued and aren't sold anymore in most places (meaning only places wanting to get rid of their old stores would sell them), which is explained also by the fact they have ancient technology.

Also, if you want to play with your laptop, you need to get one with either an Ati or Nvidia video chip. It's a bad idea to try to rely on Intel's "Graphics Media Accelerator" if gaming is a priority at all. However, the other of your choices, which does have an (ancient) Ati chip, has a lousy old AMD CPU not much good for anything.

Unless you have a chance to get either one dirt cheap, forget them.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I never really checked, but it seems that there are dirt cheap I3processor laptops around.
    Wouldn't they be a better alternative?

Edit:
    I3 laptop from Toshiba at Newegg

All of the brands:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E&PageSize=100

My understanding is that WoW is an old game easy to handle even for entry comps of today.
    So I guess the choices are rather on the OS and other criteria, am I right?

Why Toshiba in particular, for example? Other than branding?

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    My understanding is that WoW is an old game easy to handle even for entry comps of today.
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if you got WoW running even on Intel GMA video. But I tend to think rationally that if you are interested in playing one game now, a couple of years later you might already be playing some other game.

I don't actually know how GMA is today but a little while ago the net was still full of people whining how they can't run one game or another on a laptop with only such a video chip. That's why I wouldn't ever go for it, unless I knew with absolute certainty no game will ever be installed on the system.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    It's true I didn't mention I'd eliminate GMA.
    And I didn't check wether some I3 laptops get GMA...

So I guess my answer should have been: lowend I3 with ati or nvidia.
    Of course hoping there's no faulty nvidia chip still being used in the industry... Because nvidia has been constantly changing the commercial names for these chips to force them on the market knowing they were bad.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I can choose between one of those because my aunt has them and she`s selling me one for 100$ :P
    Last edited by UChessmaster; Sat, 09-25-2010 at 06:55 AM.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

A tough question, then. The one with the Intel T6400 CPU has obviously an edge over the AMD RM-70, but on the other hand even the old Ati 3100 is far better than the crappy Intel GMA 4500.

Unfortunately I don't really feel qualified to tell you which one to get. You could Google and see if people having GMA 4500 are happily playing WoW. If not, then you can't take that one and have to settle for the less powerful CPU.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Go with the AMD. It's graphics chip will help you out since you'll actually game with it (even if it's WoW).

The lower drive capacity is a pity, but you can upgrade that easily enough. The same can't be said for USB ports (it's only 3 vs 2, but it might just come in handy).

The AMD is a tad smaller and lighter. The difference in screen size and resolution hardly matters.

My only concern is playing HD content. The CoreAVC2 codec is a MUST. You will have no problem playing 720p videos with that, but I can't say for certain whether you'll lag in True HD videos. (My AMD X2 1.6GHz does).

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

You should be willing to spend a bit more if you want to play games at any decent FPS. Don't go with Intel GMA, you will regret it later even if it plays WoW now. You will want to play something else eventually, and it's no good for HD playback either.

I have this laptop
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152196

Great all around performer for $1100. Has an i5, 17 inch screen (1680x1050) and the mobility HD5870 which is the 3rd or 4th best laptop gpu (non SLI) if I remember correctly.

Check out MSI's laptops on newegg, they offer some pretty good performance for the price. If you want to spend less, then

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152201

has an i3, 15 inch screen, and nvidia 325m, which is still okay as well. In any case, just get a gpu in the 300 series or ATI's equivalent with any dual core CPU and you should be fine.
    Last edited by mage; Sat, 09-25-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FairyGirl View Post
    You should be willing to spend a bit more if you want to play games at any decent FPS.

Great all around performer for $1100.
    I think you missed the post where he said he's going to pay 100 bucks for the thing. No matter which one he chooses, it's definitely worth 100 dollars.

But yeah, if I were to choose one of them, I'd also take the AMD/Ati one. But I've happily had AMD based computers for a long time anyway, despite knowing they lose to Intel in everything but price.

yeah, missed that.

but still two good suggestions for a laptop if anyone is looking for one.

Thanks for the input guys! i think i`m going to go with the ati one.

I'd like to hear some feedback from macbook users who have something to say about the pros and cons compared to Windows laptops. My current Dell Inspiron 1501's been having trouble charging its battery past 60%. I could try bidding another battery to try I guess, but I'd like to listen to some feedback anyway. Who knows if this thing will die on me before (or while) I go back to uni next year.

I should say that no matter which type of laptop I'd be getting (if at all), I would be getting something second-hand from ebay or the like for around <$600.

I don't imagine you used that Dell for high-end gaming, and since you're considering a Mac anyway I doubt that gaming is a consideration. That being the case, and considering your price range, I suggest you consider an iPad 2. I'm considering getting one and I dislike Mac products.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

No gaming at all. It's used for chat, word processing, internet surfing, visual novels and video playback. (visual novels "sort of" count as gaming, but by no means is high end).

I'm not fond of the ipad concept, but since you're pushing it so much and you hated macs, I'll read a little about the upcoming ipad2 before I make a solid decision of whether I like it or not.

edit: I should clarify that I was talking about 600 AUD. The exchange rate is similar at the moment with USD, but the prices will probably reflect their cost when we had a more inferior exchange rate. In light of that, looking at getting it imported might not be a bad idea.

Portability is my main concern now, so much so I considered getting an iPod touch for those cases where I need internet and don't have my laptop with me. The screen size is what killed that idea, though it would be good for a mobile music player too. Decisions, decisions.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Portability is my main concern now, so much so I considered getting an iPod touch for those cases where I need internet and don't have my laptop with me. The screen size is what killed that idea, though it would be good for a mobile music player too. Decisions, decisions.
    Portability isn't THAT great a concern for me, though of course it'd be nice if the machine was light and thin. I really do like physical keyboards though, so if I decide to forgo performance/features for portability, it'll still be a tossup between an Ipad2 or a Macbook Air.

Blog Entries
    My sister and her husband both have macbooks and i honestly can't see why anyone would waste that much money on a piece of hardware when a windows equivalent would be so much cheaper

Pros: It's pretty and light, truly a portable computer

Cons: Overpriced and freaking annoying to get used to, not to mention all those little pieces of software you use every day and only miss when they're gone probably aren't compatible with it.

With the exception of the iphone ( and honestly only because of its great third party support ) i have no idea why apple is so damn popular

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    My sister and her husband both have macbooks and i honestly can't see why anyone would waste that much money on a piece of hardware when a windows equivalent would be so much cheaper

Pros: It's pretty and light, truly a portable computer

Cons: Overpriced and freaking annoying to get used to, not to mention all those little pieces of software you use every day and only miss when they're gone probably aren't compatible with it.

With the exception of the iphone ( and honestly only because of its great third party support ) i have no idea why apple is so damn popular
    It's especially silly when they buy a Macbook then install a Windows OS on it.

In its defence, I have to say that Macs have really good battery life compared to conventional laptops. I don't know if this is by design, or that windows use up resources like crazy.

You used to be able to get better hardware for the price when you bought a macbook, but those times are long gone.