Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win7 32 or 64-bit?

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    clean the HDD then.

I wonder why you need 2 hours, I remember the installations I did being a lot quicker.

Maybe you could try installing from a usb drive, which is a lot quicker/quieter... the only catch is that you might need some time to learn how to do it

I admitt I never had to install from the DVD, because I can't stand the slow speed and noises and Win7 allows for install from other means.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    clean the HDD then.

I wonder why you need 2 hours, I remember the installations I did being a lot quicker.

Maybe you could try installing from a usb drive, which is a lot quicker/quieter... the only catch is that you might need some time to learn how to do it

I admitt I never had to install from the DVD, because I can't stand the slow speed and noises and Win7 allows for install from other means.
    Do you mean physically or logically? Because with the clean install of the 32-bit version, I wiped the partitions and created a new one and formatted the partition.

2 hours from start to finish, including all updates, antivirus, utilities, configurations, Starcraft II, and Battlefield BC2.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

From a clean HDD to first available desktop, I remember I needed around 20 minutes for an install from a usb HDD or uncompressed iso directly placed in the HDD. Yup I tried many things

But yes, other software install can be slow.

By clean, yup, partition/formating.

I would even have win7 to recreate the partition table, because of partition alignment.
    I do not think it's possible your second install messed with that, because it means changing the partitions. If the install wasn't clean, I guess the main problem is thatthe registry is messed up. But hard to tell.

I just hope these 2 hours will prove beneficial.

Oh, I do not know about the budget, but you could see for a Vertex 2 or C300 SSD.
    It will not improve your gaming performances, but will clearly make a difference in the way your computer reacts and feels snapier. I will probably upgrade in september or october, since prices have fallen a little.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

It seems to be running a little quicker now, though boot times are not impressive. I might go SSD for that, but I doubt it. I think it'd be better to get a new WD Raptor 150 since the previous one is already 1.5 years old and might be slowing down due to age.

I might do a complete clean install this weekend to remove the possibility that the upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit is causing problems.

I'm not too far off the 20 minute mark from clean HDD to Windows desktop. I think I'm around 22-25 minutes but I haven't really kept track. I prefer to count from start to completed setup (including all drivers, restoring bookmarks in Firefox, updated antivirus, all Windows updates, and the game I'm currently playing) which comes to around 2 hours.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Well the 32-bit install was a clean install less than a week ago and so there won't be much fragmentation. I'm using a WD Raptor 150 (it's about 1.5 years old, but still runs great and at 10k RPM).

What do you mean by "dirty upgrade"? I'm considering wiping it all out and starting from scratch with the 64-bit OS, but that will be another 2 hours I'd rather spend playing SC2.

The system runs slower all the time, even for file access and Windows explorer.
    "Dirty" as in windows left stuff behind or otherwise didn't upgrade properly.

As for boot times, I've always been using sleep mode nowadays, so it hardly matters to me.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Tue, 08-10-2010 at 08:05 PM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I normally use sleep mode too... but the system refused to wake up from sleep today. Hopefully it doesn't happen often. Sleep mode worked ok a few times yesterday after I finished installing everything.

I have a 3 year old laptop that came with Vista32 and had al sorts of problems. Then I installed Win7 x64 and all problems were gone, except for a couple of compatibility issues, IF I were to run certain programs x64 mode (i.e. for example IE8 x64 - Adobe flash player). Most programs you use in Win7 x64 are still x86 (WMP, IE8, Office 2007, uTorrent etc.), except for essential system processes. So everything stays the same plus more RAM becomes available. Now hardware is a different story... Not all hardware is compatible with Vista/Win7. Or so it was a good while back. My 2 cents..

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Killa-Eyez View Post
    I have a 3 year old laptop that came with Vista32 and had al sorts of problems. Then I installed Win7 x64 and all problems were gone, except for a couple of compatibility issues, IF I were to run certain programs x64 mode (i.e. for example IE8 x64 - Adobe flash player). Most programs you use in Win7 x64 are still x86 (WMP, IE8, Office 2007, uTorrent etc.), except for essential system processes. So everything stays the same plus more RAM becomes available. Now hardware is a different story... Not all hardware is compatible with Vista/Win7. Or so it was a good while back. My 2 cents..
    My wireless PCI card that was "meant" to work with W7 (32 AND 64bit) didn't.

I've managed to find a wired work-around at the moment. Again, I have no idea if it's a 32/64 thing, or an XP/Vista/W7 thing.

Generally if it's designed to work with Vista it will work with Win7, but XP to Vista/7 is too big a leap and drivers usually aren't compatible across this great divide.

@Killa-Eyez: I work at a helpdesk and we tell everyone to upgrade to Win7 to get away from Vista. It almost always resolves their problem and it increases the life of the PC and the user experience. I like how Win7 64 creates a separate x86 program files folder to help you determine which programs run in 32-bit and which are 64-bit.

Generally if it's designed to work with Vista it will work with Win7, but XP to Vista/7 is too big a leap and drivers usually aren't compatible across this great divide.

It was an XP-32 to W7-64 jump, but the drivers were al certified and all (it even recommended newer drivers through Windows Update), it was really disappointing.

My PC seems to be running faster now, though load times for SC2 are kind of slow.

I was reading reviews for SSD drives and someone posted raves about how his web browser opens in under 1 second with the SSD drive, like that's not standard on regular harddrives.

I'm still debating SSD vs SATA6 Raptor for a boot drive.

My PC seems to be running faster now, though load times for SC2 are kind of slow.

I was reading reviews for SSD drives and someone posted raves about how his web browser opens in under 1 second with the SSD drive, like that's not standard on regular harddrives.

I'm still debating SSD vs SATA6 Raptor for a boot drive.
    If you find it worth considering, SSDs are also silent and much cooler. I can't say too much about performance, reliability and durability since they're still maturing, and I haven't gotten my head around everything yet.

Apparently Seagate made a pretty good hybrid drive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    If you find it worth considering, SSDs are also silent and much cooler. I can't say too much about performance, reliability and durability since they're still maturing, and I haven't gotten my head around everything yet.

Apparently Seagate made a pretty good hybrid drive though.
    I would just forget that one, better stick to a mass storage drive and a good SSD, or just forget about SSDs until the prices fall down to better values in the next 3 years, maybe.

To revive an old thread; in relation to my posts in the PC Problem thread, I am -just now- wondering if the overheating in my laptop is due to using the CPU's 64-bit feature by running Win7 x64? The laptop's standard install came with Vista x86, so I was thinking maybe it's architecture was designed to use in 32-bit mode only. Maybe used in 64-bit, it'd mean greater power consumption=increasing temperature, causing my overheating problems. Or should it not matter? I googled it but couldn't find anything.

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. I hope I don't sound like a n00b.
    Last edited by Killa-Eyez; Tue, 07-19-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.

I'd check vents for any obstruction, no really laptops really are badly designed there... you can't clean them easily.

regarding x86 vs x64, it's true the system is a little harder on memory for x64 but remember that it's in fact an hybrid system composed of both the x86 and x64 routines. So it should only be a memory burden.

Other than cleaning, the other factor I could see is drivers and overall win7 differences compared to vista. With laptops, you're never 100% sure you have the most efficient drivers as some/most parts are tailor made and probably will not have up to date drivers in all possible OSes.

Another thing to check is BIOS, maybe there's a version with updated thermal management? very unlikely, but I had that for my HP laptop so who knows?

A little trick that works on my laptop:
    Do not let the battery in the laptop when it's already at 100% and your laptop is plugged.
    Without the battery, the charging circuit will stop->less calories.
    No battery means that you do not have that mass that is at least at the ambient temp (or a little more) sitting near vents and other parts-> less calorie retention.
    Depending on the design of your laptop, might be useful (it's very useful in my case)

Last thing I'd do is closely inspect all resident programs/services. They tend to accumulate over time and most of them you use once a week/month/year... or just once but they keep launching and consuming your memory and cpu resources.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the aging of thermal glue for the cpu/gpu. I wonder how much of this is "internet fiction". Thing is, it's hard to get to those parts and even harder to solve the problem. Just for information then.
    Last edited by David75; Wed, 07-20-2011 at 12:56 AM.

So it shouldn't matter wether x86 or x64. Allright.

I will take all your advise in account as soon as I buy me a new VGA.

Cheerio mate.