Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Piece Chapter 595

Blog Entries
    You're not looking at the situation through Sengoku's eyes. He's a pretty good guy from as far as i can tell, and would never leave such a rabid dog in charge of all of the marines

Quote Originally Posted by Splash! View Post
    Also, lets not forget that the marines exist solely for the sake of the World Government (who dont really have noble intentions as we have seen). As such, Akainu makes more sense as a Fleet Admiral.
    I don't believe people join the marines at all for that intention. Many of the marines join to pursue their own ideals of justice, whether or not they are aware that they are the world government's lap dogs. The reason Sengoku left in the first place was likely because he didn't agree with how the world government is trying to cover up certain recent incidents.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    I don't believe people join the marines at all for that intention. Many of the marines join to pursue their own ideals of justice, whether or not they are aware that they are the world government's lap dogs. The reason Sengoku left in the first place was likely because he didn't agree with how the world government is trying to cover up certain recent incidents.
    I don't believe they join for that reason either. But thats just how it is right now. Sengoku did leave, didn't he? That shows he is no longer happy as a marine because he is being forced to go against his ideals.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    You're not looking at the situation through Sengoku's eyes. He's a pretty good guy from as far as i can tell, and would never leave such a rabid dog in charge of all of the marines
    Yes I am, thats why I am saying he is picking favourites. In Sengoku's eyes, Aokiji is the better candidate because he will uphold the same ideals he values. But the fact remains that ultimately the marines receive their orders from the WG. I am not trying to morally defend the WG or Akainu. I just think that Akainu would act out on WG orders more effectively than Aokiji.
    Last edited by Splash!; Fri, 08-06-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Honestly making Akainu the leader would make things easier on me too, then i could regard the marines and WG as a completely evil organization instead of all this grey shit

I wonder if it is Akainu in this pictures ordering the death of all the pregnant women?

http://read.mangashare.com/One-Piece...1/page006.html

I have to agree with Archangel, he is a fucked up guy.

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Yes I am, thats why I am saying he is picking favourites. In Sengoku's eyes, Aokiji is the better candidate because he will uphold the same ideals he values. But the fact remains that ultimately the marines receive their orders from the WG. I am not trying to morally defend the WG or Akainu. I just think that Akainu would act out on WG orders more effectively than Aokiji.
    He`s not picking favorites, Aokiji is better at taking control, Akainu is a blind rabid dog that can only bark "justice", as a leader he will fail, he will start asking people for things they can`t or aren`t willing to do and he will have no quarrel when it comes to doing dirty shit in public, wich will severelly decrease the WG public opinion, they *want* to be seen as the good guys right? Aokiji is less hotheaded and can take dessitions with a calmed mind, he may be lazy, but when he needs to do something he does it.

Akainu is a magnificent soldier, a leader, he is not. Vote for Aokiji.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster View Post
    He`s not picking favorites, Aokiji is better at taking control, Akainu is a blind rabid dog that can only bark "justice", as a leader he will fail.
    I disagree. It takes more than a blind rabid dog to critically wound Whitebeard without even fighting him. Just because Akainu is a ruthless ass-hole doesn't mean he would make a bad leader.

Ok then, a mad rabid dog with amazing fighting skills, can you mention 2 leader quality he has besides fighting skills and seeing the world in black and white?
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Akainu is nuts. However, it was pretty cool to see such a high level "Absolute Justice" marine. I feel like it added a lot of depth to the Marine's as an organization, that being from a readers perspective and in relation to things that make the manga "interesting".

Akainu would cause way too many problems for the WG as well with his Absolute Justice crap. Aokiji's freezing ability was also part of why the Marine's won that war, can't forget that!

Ok then, a mad rabid dog with amazing fighting skills, can you mention 2 leader quality he has besides fighting skills and seeing the world in black and white?
    I am talking about him tricking Squardo into betraying Whitebeard. He sealed Whitebeard's fate without physically attacking him. Why are you assuming that Akainu is some dumb idiot who can't control himself,? Nothing we have seen suggests this is the case. He may have some very strong opinions and he may be ruthless but he IS a marine admiral after all. I am sure he is more than capable as a leader. We haven't seen anything from Aokiji that makes him more of a leader than Akainu, other than the fact that he is nice.

Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    I agree with Splash, mostly. Akainu is a ruthless bastard. He's like Crocodile that way, only stronger as a fighter.

I'm sure any of the Admirals would make a good leader. It wouldn't be plausible for them to have become leaders of Marine divisions or whatever if they weren't good leaders in the first place.
    "After all, I am strangely colored."

I am talking about him tricking Squardo into betraying Whitebeard. He sealed Whitebeard's fate without physically attacking him. Why are you assuming that Akainu is some dumb idiot who can't control himself,? Nothing we have seen suggests this is the case. He may have some very strong opinions and he may be ruthless but he IS a marine admiral after all. I am sure he is more than capable as a leader. We haven't seen anything from Aokiji that makes him more of a leader than Akainu, other than the fact that he is nice.
    Tricking Squardo could`ve been anyones idea, sides, Squardo`s stupid meter is off the charts, Akainu is a dumb idiot who can`t control himself, that`s the only face of him we`ve seen, what else should i assume? his strong opinion as you call it (i would call it something else) is preciselly a reason for him NOT to be given a higher rank, as for Aokiji, what we`ve seen is a calmed person capable of looking at things from an objective perspective and come up with the best posible solution, Akainu`s strategy would be "lol shoot"

Tricking Squardo could`ve been anyones idea, sides, Squardo`s stupid meter is off the charts, Akainu is a dumb idiot who can`t control himself, that`s the only face of him we`ve seen, what else should i assume? his strong opinion as you call it (i would call it something else) is preciselly a reason for him NOT to be given a higher rank, as for Aokiji, what we`ve seen is a calmed person capable of looking at things from an objective perspective and come up with the best posible solution, Akainu`s strategy would be "lol shoot"
    Akainu was the last of the admirals to put himself on the battlefield. While everyone was fighting, he went and tricked Squardo. I would say his strategy worked alot better than anyone else's. Saying that someone else could have tricked Squardo after the fact is just silly.

Say what you want, but Akainu gets results. Aokiji can be as calm and composed as he likes, but without Akainu's underhanded tactics and initiative, the marines would have been big losers in this war. I have seen nothing from Aokiji that makes him stand out as an exceptional leader. In what situation did he come up with the 'best possible solution" as a leader? Rather, it was Akainu who came up with the best possible solution as to how to deal with Whitebeard and Ace.
    Last edited by Splash!; Fri, 08-06-2010 at 10:46 PM.

I agree with Splash that Aokiji hasn't done anything that makes him stand out exceptionally over Akainu. However, it doesn''t change the fact that they're still puppets.

I think having Akainu in the higher role will send a message out to the world that the World Government wont tolerate pirates and they will try to remove them at all costs.

Akainu was the last of the admirals to put himself on the battlefield. While everyone was fighting, he went and tricked Squardo. I would say his strategy worked alot better than anyone else's. Saying that someone else could have tricked Squardo after the fact is just silly.

Say what you want, but Akainu gets results. Aokiji can be as calm and composed as he likes, but without Akainu's underhanded tactics and initiative, the marines would have been big losers in this war. I have seen nothing from Aokiji that makes him stand out as an exceptional leader. In what situation did he come up with the 'best possible solution" as a leader? Rather, it was Akainu who came up with the best possible solution as to how to deal with Whitebeard and Ace.
    Wasn`t the squardo thing a flashback?, how do you know it happened while everyone was fighting? you want me to beleive squardo is smart?

Whitebeard is bad lol, to prove it we`ll only attack new world pirates, that`ll totally mean we have a deal.

Akainu gets results IN BATTLE, by leader i mean someone that can actually stay behind the lines. Yes akainu got results, if you release a brainless invinsible zombie he would`ve gotten the same results, if you release an actual dog with an overpowered fruit it would get him results, Akainu is strong, i get that, but a leader? no, he would drop the WG public opinion faster than you can say "should`ve let Aokiji take control".

Whitebeard is bad lol, to prove it we`ll only attack new world pirates, that`ll totally mean we have a deal.
    Squardo was stupid. I am sure there were many other stupid people on the battlefield as well. Akainu was the only one that exploited this.

Akainu gets results IN BATTLE, by leader i mean someone that can actually stay behind the lines. Yes akainu got results, if you release a brainless invinsible zombie he would`ve gotten the same results, if you release an actual dog with an overpowered fruit it would get him results, Akainu is strong, i get that, but a leader? no, he would drop the WG public opinion faster than you can say "should`ve let Aokiji take control".
    No, a brainless Zombie would not get the same results that Akainu would. I dont even need to explain this. Of all the marines, he seemed to be the only one that understood what was really required to win the war, and took out the 2 most important targets. Stop painting him as some fool just because he thinks in black and white. Ultimately, even Aokiji, Garp and Sengoku seem to believe that there is no such thing as good pirates right now. They just aren't as ruthless about it because thats not their nature. It doesn't mean Akainu would be a bad leader. In this situation, he would carry out the WG's objectives alot better than Aokiji as he wouldnt have a moral conflict about carrying out some more questionable tasks. Lacking morals doesn't make him a simpleton. At the same time, there is nothing in his behaviour that suggests that he would explicitly go against orders just as an excuse to dish out more violence, so theres no reason to believe he would go 'out of control'.

Akainu didn't go out of his way to attack the pirates. They attacked Marineford, and he went at them with full force. What else would you have him do, just try to hold them off long enough to execute Ace legitimately, as Sengoku would have it? Sengoku almost failed miserably. Akainu saved his ass. There is no meaning to taking Whitebeard head on, if they cant successfully defeat him and execute Ace. This alone would have been defamed them alot more than any shit Akainu might pull off as a ruthless fleet admiral.

Aokiji's public opinion will drop pretty fast too if he isn't quick enough to deal with the criminals that just escaped from Impel Down and silence any pirates that may try to take advantage of this instability. If someone figures out where the criminals came from, it definitely wont look good for the WG. In this situation, a ruthless approach would probably be better.

Quote Originally Posted by kAi View Post
    I think having Akainu in the higher role will send a message out to the world that the World Government wont tolerate pirates and they will try to remove them at all costs.
    This is a valid point. If the motivations behind the promotion has more to do with Pirate - Marine PR rather than actual belief that Aokiji would make a better fleet admiral, it is actually a good enough reason for Sengoku to recommend Aokiji instead (though I dont think this is the case, I think its because he likes Aokiji better himself). Still, I cant imagine Akainu will be too happy about this, it will be interesting to see if there is some sort of resulting conflict, and whether the WG itself will approve of the appointment of Aokiji.
    Last edited by Splash!; Sat, 08-07-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Akainu destroying a government refugee vessel from the Ohara Buster Call in the name of "doing things right" is probably why he wasn't nominated. That wasn't some big war, and there were, clearly, other ways to make sure no scholar was on that ship, as opposed to blowing it up.

Because he's psycho. PSYCHO. He was killing foot soldiers that were afraid during the WB war. PSYCHO. What was even the point of that? He was just wasting time doing that!

So in the eyes of anyone, would you say that this person was fit to lead all of the marines? No matter what his "results" were in battle, the event at Ohara was pretty heavy foreshadowing at what type of character Akainu is.

Dunno if Akainu is actually the strongest of the Admirals. He might be, but we just saw him do the most, since you know he was just introduced in that arc.

Aokiji didn't have much of a role in that fight other than like freezing the ocean and fighting the Diamond dude.

Quote Originally Posted by FireEmblem View Post
    Akainu destroying a government refugee vessel from the Ohara Buster Call in the name of "doing things right" is probably why he wasn't nominated. That wasn't some big war, and there were, clearly, other ways to make sure no scholar was on that ship, as opposed to blowing it up.
    The point there was to make sure no scholar from Ohara escaped. Sure it was inhumane to act in such a way, but it accomplished what they set out to do faster and with more certainty, didn't it? As if the concept of slaughtering all the scholars in itself was something very humane to begin with...
    He was a vice admiral then, and inspite of that, he was still promoted so clearly his actions weren't wrong enough for the higher ups to give him the leadership role of an admiral.

Because he's psycho. PSYCHO. He was killing foot soldiers that were afraid during the WB war. PSYCHO. What was even the point of that? He was just wasting time doing that!
    Having fearful troops is actually a bigger problem than you think. Troops routing from the frontlines can disrupt the morale of others holding their ground and cause a chain reaction of fleeing troops. Yes, its an monstrous thing to do but I wouldn't call it tactically incorrect.

Ruthless, dictatorial type figures can actually make good leaders for MILITARY ORGANIZATIONS despite having a shaky moral core.

Point still stands that he is crazy as hell.

I don't see how the alternative routes couldn't have given equally good results without the psychotic nature of Akainu's actions. =p