Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Onemanga Shutting Down

Quote Originally Posted by RyougaZell View Post
    Hmmm. I was browsing through the APForums thread concerning OneManga shutting down.

The people over there are blaming MangaStream on the current situation regarding scanlations.

Reason? Mangastream's APP to read manga on Iphone and Ipad.

It seems Viz and many other american publishers pushed the war against scanlations when that APP became the last straw.
    If the last straw was Mangastream's APP then MANGASTREAM would have immediately faced Viz's wrath alongside onemanga.

I foresee many threads being made asking - where do I find XXX manga?

It may become a reality that in future, we have to go to iTune/App stores/... to find manga to read.(yeah that is how powerful Apple company has become)

Quote Originally Posted by depthcharge View Post
    I foresee many threads being made asking - where do I find XXX manga?

It may become a reality that in future, we have to go to iTune/App stores/... to find manga to read.(yeah that is how powerful Apple company has become)
    No, Apple is not that powerful... Do you really think people aren't going to keep putting the scans online for others? Everything will always be available somewhere else on the internet. It's not like Itunes is the only place to get mp3's.

Apple is looking at us, waving the iPad.

IMO, I dont wanna have too much to do with Apple, but I will leave the rest of my Apple comment out of here.

Unfortunately, the way things are going, I would prefer to use a system that pays the original content creator directly(yeah without Apple-tax, Amazon-tax Publisher-tax ect ect) Move to an affordable, efficient and direct system. Let the inter-web rule!!!

Places to Read

I seem to recall onemanga stepped out of the 'reading manga's business. Where else do you guys go to read manga? A short list of viable options would be appreciated. Thanx.

"Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Blog Entries
    Online readers suck hairy balls, download your shit off Manga Traders

MangaFox and MangaReaders is where I get my goods from aside from the translators' direct online readers (e.g. RedHawk, imanga, MangaStream, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Online readers suck hairy balls, download your shit off Manga Traders
    Um...no?

Why would I download a bunch of shit I'm never gonna read twice when I can just flip through the pages with a click of the mouse?

Blog Entries
    Because you have to wait for loading, readers compress the pages and make them look like shit, you can't use your own reader so you won't be able to customize your experience, you're bound to get stuck with the first group who released said chapter instead of the one who took a while longer and actually did a decent job, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Because you have to wait for loading, readers compress the pages and make them look like shit, you can't use your own reader so you won't be able to customize your experience, you're bound to get stuck with the first group who released said chapter instead of the one who took a while longer and actually did a decent job, etc.
    Except mangatraders and direct download sites are blocked at my office, where I usually read my manga fix, therefore online readers are the way to go.

Some people do things differently.

I know that when my time is constrained, I wouldn't want to spend a whole lot of time or labour waiting for downloads (especially on those file-hosting websites that tempt you with their premium services). Then you often have to unzip the compressed chapter, which takes more clicking.

If you think about it, it'd take about four clicks to get to a certain chapter of your liking (reader homepage, search, find title, click on chapter) and thereafter, you can use arrow keys to navigate through the pages.

When you're downloading chapters, it would probably be the same as above - except that unless it's a DDL, you'd probably have to go through a series of waiting, clicking and folder organization unless you've pre-programmed everything to do your bidding. Even so with DDL.

Really, in the time it takes you to download a chapter, unzip the compressed file and started reading them, I could be done reading 1.8 chapters.

Ultimately, consider the average and casual anime-manga fan. Streaming and readers are the method of choice among us. I'm lazy and I choose not to do this just for higher-quality pages. I skim through the content and get my entertainment's worth, but to each their own opinion.

People like you would benefit from a comic reader enkoujin. Mangameeya or one of it's similar cousins removes all the decompression issues and in aggregate will let you flip through the pages faster than if you were on an online reader with the waiting compressed into the up front investment in the download. But yes, I know first hand that manga readers are, by and large, extremely lazy people and don't care about quality that much compared to minimizing their level of expended effort. They care about being able to expend the minimal amount of effort to get their entertianment fix, and for them online readers are the way to go. Downloading is more for people who care somewhat more about the manga than just the short term entertainment value i.e. very much a minority.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    You also have people who do not love manga that much, they like some of them, and online reading is enough for them.
    Also, no download to manage, less exposure to legal trouble etc...
    It also is provides a good way to discover some manga.

For example, I try to follow Initial D. The manga isn't stellar in anything from scenario to art quality and is mainly composed of two cars chasing one another, most pages are filled with that. So there isn't much interrest in downloading in that case.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I'm primarily a downloader, not necessarily because of quality issues, but time.

It might be possible that the final time required to finish reading a chapter is longer in some cases, but that's not how downloading manga works for me anyway. I click a link, let it download, comeback to it later. Instead of waiting for pages to load as I read online, I can go do something else while the download process completes itself, and come back for a quick and easy manga-reading experience.

Downloading is also great for commuters. Mobile internet is still relatively expensive, and in my case, slow. Not to mention it uses extra batter life.

At the end of the day, unless I had special requirements I just use whatever I get my hands on.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Ever have that feeling that comes from wanting to re-read a series, only to find that the site you read it on complied with a takedown notice and now you can't ever read it again? I have. With great difficulty I tracked down the old volumes, and downloaded them for safe keeping. By the time you want it, there is a surprisingly good chance you'll be unable to find it again easily. That's why I download every time.

That and the internet does go down from time to time, or becomes inaccessible (travel, etc.), and I like to read a lot.

I tried online readers before, and the convenience was almost worth it...and then Onemanga died.