Thread: Gotwoot Scans

Blog Entries

Gotwoot Scans

Yeah so... the fansubbing group doesn't seem to be going so well so i decided to play off my strengths and start gotwoot scans

Masamune has already made himself available for translations but neither of us is sure of what series to pick up, so i decided that asking around here might get us some results

We are looking for good series that are:

Dropped - Officially discontinued by the previous scanlating group working on it

Overlooked - Was never given a chance to present itself to an English speaking crowd

Extremely poorly done - This doesn't mean your favourite manga that hasn't had the grays replaced or all the redraws done, either the translation is crap or the editing has to be simply unbearable for us to even consider doing it

Any opinions are welcome but please post as many details as possibe along with them such as previous scanlating group, manga updates link, etc.
    Last edited by Archangel; Fri, 05-28-2010 at 11:59 AM.

School of Water Business (Toritsu Mizushou!)
    Previous group: Tama-chan Scans
    Last release: 12/01/08, no activity from the group on this title. They still have it in their IRC channel though, so you might need to ask them if they definitively dropped it.

Description from Manga-Updates:
    Mizushoubai (water business) is the term for Japan's night life activities, such as fuuzoku (similar to prostitution but none of the illegal bits), hosting and managing (entertaining at bars), and kyabakura (night clubs).

Recently, it was decided that a high school should be founded to educate the youth in these areas where they previously had no such guidance: the School of Water Business, "Mizushou", located in Tokyo's Shinjuku ward. The story is from the perspective of a teacher, Tanabe Keisuke, who was transferred there to help teach that school's first generation of students.

The author worked on Salad Days, a rather good drama/romance collection series. He certainly knows how to write good characters, and Toritsu Mizushou is no exception. Despite being in a trade that is generally frowned upon, the teachers and students have a lot of pride, their own demons, their own motivations, and most have a backstory to match why they are in this kind of school. There is a good deal of drama, a good deal of comedy, and the art is detailed.

Series Complete, 22 Total volumes.

-------------------------------

Jouou (Queen)
    Previous group: Manga Underground
    Last release: 08/19/07 (Dropped according to group's website)

In a similar vein to the previous series, Jouou is in the hostess business. Description from Manga-Updates:
    Manager Nashizaki Tatsuya of the Pianissimo Club, wants to build the biggest hostess club in all of Japan; a club where men of all ages and nationalities would want to go. And, along with his big club, a huge event will take place, a contest for the number one hostess, with a prize of 100 million yen. Aya, a freshman, doesn't like the idea of being a hostess, but she has to become one, due to a big debt her parents owe. Encouraged by a friend, she reluctantly joins Pianissimo and, so, her life as a hostess begins.

What makes this series stand out is that cliche plot point, but swapped around. Woman with a family debt is forced into the hostess business, but rather than being saved by some random deus ex machina Prince Charming, she sticks with it. The art is above average, and like a commenter on manga-updates mentions, the series is like a Sports series with hostesses. It is technical and comes off as detailed about aspects of the business even down to the way a hostess must act in order to garner repeat customers (or customers at all).

Series complete, 12 volumes, sequel in progress.

-------------------------------

Rubbers 7
    Previous group: BLAH
    Last release: 09/06/08 (considered "active" on group's website)

Welcome to Rubbers 7, a small Japanese convenience store with a reputation for some odd owners. Rumors of mob connections and one rather eccentric boss with a passion for Ping-pong tend to keep business low. But when a young, quiet girl is framed for shoplifting and ends up working for the store. Can her touch, with the help of her unusual coworkers, including a shy boy and a drag queen, turn the fortune of the store around?

Slice of life series. I guess the closest thing to compare it to would be something like Working!!. They all have their strange quirks. The art is relatively simple but it has a pleasant style to it, similar to style to something like Usagi Drop (bad OM compression but you get the idea). It's honestly been a while since I read this, but I know I really enjoyed it at the time.

Series complete, 7 volumes.

You guys ever consider re-scanning the earlier volumes of One-Piece? I intend on buying all the volumes one day, but i think it would be great to have bearable scans of the Alabasta arc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    You guys ever consider re-scanning the earlier volumes of One-Piece? I intend on buying all the volumes one day, but i think it would be great to have bearable scans of the Alabasta arc.
    They're already officially out in English, i honestly couldn't think of a bigger waste of time

They seem heavily edited to me, but you have a point. How about Hokuto No Ken (Fist of the North Star)?

Jackals - http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=3138

Strays that does the joint with Illuminati is dead. Don't know if Illuminati is planning to start it again or not, but getting in touch with them if you do plan to pick it up would be ideal, I guess. They might even give you the raws, or you could do the joint with them. Shrug.

Natsu no Zenjitsu - http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=38087

Rather mellow series by the writer of Koi Kaze, with a good amount of sex/nudity. Vagrant Scans who does a joint with AnimeSigma are dead. AnimeSigma, however I'm not sure of. Not sure how many raw chapters are out since mangaupdates says it's only currently only 1 ongoing volume. The magazine it's in is bi-monthly so it'd make a good ongoing series to keep up maybe.

Nuiguru Mix - http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=18256

Basically just a silly comedy ecchi series with the body switching and all. Close to 2 years since the last release, and their forums doesn't even list this as an active or on-hold project.

Kouya ni Kemono Doukokusu (In Wilder, The Beast Doth Lament) - http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=20285

From the author of Kurozuka is a dark, mature manga with blood and guts. There's only 2 scanlated chapters, but from what I can tell it looks like it'll be a survival type manga ala Battle Royale except with these guys with spliced animal DNA? The last scan's 469 days ago from 2009 by Izumo no Ryuu and AT-Tranlations. Neither of their sites are working atm, so I don't know if they're ever gonna plan to pick it up again.

Honorable Mentions -

Re:Birth - The Lunatic Taker - only 2 months since last scan but their sub group has close to 30 different ongoing projects

Tsumi ni Nureta Futari - Wincest. It's been 270 days or so since the last release for the current group, where the series has switched hands a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Last release: 12/01/08, no activity from the group on this title. They still have it in their IRC channel though, so you might need to ask them if they definitively dropped it.

Mizushoubai (water business) is the term for Japan's night life activities, such as fuuzoku (similar to prostitution but none of the illegal bits), hosting and managing (entertaining at bars), and kyabakura (night clubs).

Recently, it was decided that a high school should be founded to educate the youth in these areas where they previously had no such guidance: the School of Water Business, "Mizushou", located in Tokyo's Shinjuku ward. The story is from the perspective of a teacher, Tanabe Keisuke, who was transferred there to help teach that school's first generation of students.

The author worked on Salad Days, a rather good drama/romance collection series. He certainly knows how to write good characters, and Toritsu Mizushou is no exception. Despite being in a trade that is generally frowned upon, the teachers and students have a lot of pride, their own demons, their own motivations, and most have a backstory to match why they are in this kind of school. There is a good deal of drama, a good deal of comedy, and the art is detailed.

I liked Salad days, so I'm in favor doing this one...
    but then again, it might be better to start with something smaller, only several volumes, instead of committing to one big project.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Legendary Leader Shou (Densetsu no Kashira Shou)
    Previous group: MangaCity
    http://www.mangatraders.com/manga/series/627

Summary (edit):
    This total loser, Tatsuhito, causes the legendary gang leader of the Grand Cross, Shou, to be hospitalized. He must take his place for the duration of time it takes for Shou to recover or else the Grand Cross would fall into chaos.

Only Volume 1 has been scanlated, so I guess you could read and see if you like it.
    -------
    I might have some of the raws for this, will have to look on my old HDDs.

Hi, long time lurker here

I would love to see Teppu scanlated on a much more frequent basis. Seven chapters have been scanlated by Animexis, but they only release one chapter every few months.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=38747

Description: Ishidou Natsuo is a gifted girl who can achieve anything she wants in sports. Because of this she is permanently bored, as there aren’t any real challenges to her abilites to make her feel alive. One day she receives an invitation of a merry girl to join her martial arts club. Irritated by her happy expression, Natsuo decides to accept the invitation just as a pretext to beat her up, but she receives a shocking surprise.

The girls in this are so cute!

Update:

I've located raws for the the first two series I suggested (SoWB and Jouou). Two of the series are missing a volume, but I'm willing to continue the search or provide them myself if need be.

I'll update this after I verify the quality on the scans of the third.

EDIT:

- One vol of SoWB needs to be rescanned, I'm willing to do that.
    - Jouou has one volume missing, Arch mentioned a lot of redraws would be involved for the text. Otherwise, quality is acceptable.
    - Still have yet to check on Rubbers 7 raws.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 05-29-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm designing a credits page and would be thankful if someone could create me a vector of gotwoot's logo

So far I'd personally enjoy working on any of these suggested titles

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post

Quote Originally Posted by animus View Post
    Jackals - http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=3138

Strays that does the joint with Illuminati is dead. Don't know if Illuminati is planning to start it again or not, but getting in touch with them if you do plan to pick it up would be ideal, I guess. They might even give you the raws, or you could do the joint with them. Shrug.

Kouya ni Kemono Doukokusu (In Wilder, The Beast Doth Lament) - http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=20285

From the author of Kurozuka is a dark, mature manga with blood and guts. There's only 2 scanlated chapters, but from what I can tell it looks like it'll be a survival type manga ala Battle Royale except with these guys with spliced animal DNA? The last scan's 469 days ago from 2009 by Izumo no Ryuu and AT-Tranlations. Neither of their sites are working atm, so I don't know if they're ever gonna plan to pick it up again.
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyGirl View Post
    Hi, long time lurker here

I would love to see Teppu scanlated on a much more frequent basis. Seven chapters have been scanlated by Animexis, but they only release one chapter every few months.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=38747

Description: Ishidou Natsuo is a gifted girl who can achieve anything she wants in sports. Because of this she is permanently bored, as there aren’t any real challenges to her abilites to make her feel alive. One day she receives an invitation of a merry girl to join her martial arts club. Irritated by her happy expression, Natsuo decides to accept the invitation just as a pretext to beat her up, but she receives a shocking surprise.

The girls in this are so cute!
    Last edited by Archangel; Sat, 05-29-2010 at 06:12 PM.

To update my last post fully:

- One vol of SoWB needs to be rescanned, I'm willing to do that.

- Jouou has one volume missing, Arch mentioned a lot of redraws would be involved for the text. Otherwise, quality is acceptable. I'm willing to get the final volume and scan it if I can't find it.

- I found all seven volumes of Rubbers 7, they are at the minimum resolution Arch wanted (1200 px vertical) and are of better quality than the other two series, which he provisionally approved of.

this is a pretty neat idea. i'm not really into anime or manga anymore, but i'll lend some help if you guys need it. i have a wacom graphire tablet and a bit of skill with drawing, so i can pitch in with cleaning/redrawing if you guys need it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saman View Post
    this is a pretty neat idea. i'm not really into anime or manga anymore, but i'll lend some help if you guys need it. i have a wacom graphire tablet and a bit of skill with drawing, so i can pitch in with cleaning/redrawing if you guys need it.
    As this project is only just now taking off i think i'm enough to handle the editing but should we succeed I'll definitely keep you in mind for future endeavors

Blog Entries
    Found a pretty sweet option

Toukyou ESP

Quote Originally Posted by Plot
    Urushiba Rinka was a fairly normal high school girl, though she was a bit poor and her only family was her father. Then one day, she saw a penguin and some glowing fish swimming through the sky. Rinka might have thought it was a hallucination if there hadn't been another witness with her, a boy from her school with a strangely scratched-up face.

Contact with a fish caused her to pass out, and when she awoke, she had developed the power to move through inanimate objects... such as the floor of her apartment! Later, a call from her father showed her that she was not the only one the flying fish bestowed with hard-to-control superpowers! What exactly is going on here? And does Rinka's classmate know more about this situation than he's letting on?
    Manga-Updates | Read Online

I should mention that it's from the same author as Ga-Rei, but the problem here is that we would need to find a raw provider. That means either find a kind soul that's already buying the magazine and have him scan it for us or fork up the money and do it ourselves

If we did manage to pull this off though it would be a great starting series: it only has a few chapters out, no real group is keeping up with it and it's monthly so we'll have loads of time to prepare

Quote Originally Posted by kAi View Post
    Legendary Leader Shou (Densetsu no Kashira Shou)
    Previous group: MangaCity
    http://www.mangatraders.com/manga/series/627

Summary (edit):
    This total loser, Tatsuhito, causes the legendary gang leader of the Grand Cross, Shou, to be hospitalized. He must take his place for the duration of time it takes for Shou to recover or else the Grand Cross would fall into chaos.

Only Volume 1 has been scanlated, so I guess you could read and see if you like it.
    -------
    I might have some of the raws for this, will have to look on my old HDDs.
    Hell yeah, Legendary Leader Shou!!

I'll have to check my stash to see what needs completing or need doing, but here are some worth checking out:

Shura no Mon
    Shura no Toki

Happy! by the awesome Urasawa Naoki
    Noritaka
    Kurozakuro
    Will
    Gakuen Alice
    - no one is doing it, plus it has a lot of missing volumes/chapters in the middle that needs doing.
    Gorio
    Ningen Kyouki Katsuo!

Chairudo - If I remember correctly this one was completely messed up.

@Arch: You should keep doing this project.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Blog Entries
    I'll find the time for it if a translator and a typesetter pop out of nowhere.

It's much easier to find staff if you do the work yourself, draw people with the release, and post about recruitment.

Where Masa/Shinta?
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Blog Entries
    Even easier is to sit on my ass doing nothing.