Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gotwoot Subs

Blog Entries

Gotwoot Subs

Here's a positively insane idea to increase traffic on the website, what if we started out own fansubbing group?

We're a pretty small community so we sort of know each other fairly well, we have a few japanese speaking members and already come with a tracker from the deal

So... yeah i know it's pretty out there but what do you guys think?

I totally think this is an awesome idea. I still have a while before I could be worthy of being a translator, but I'd support the group every step of the way. Let's do this let's do this yeah yeah yeah!!!

--------
    Positions

Raw Getter/Capper {elitefags}
    Translators {shinta, masamune (signs, miscellaneous), Sapphire}
    *Translation Checker {shinta, kaq}
    Encoders {BoC, PA}
    Karaoke {Sapphire, pyointa}
    Timers {namaiki}
    Typesetters {KitKat}
    Distro {Spiegel (FTP/MAIN), DO (XDCC), Comp (TRACKER)}
    QCers {KitKat, RedNeckNoob, Spiegel, Alhuin}
    Editors {Sapphire, KitKat, BoC}
    --
    Additional support
    Comp: Tracker, Host

Pandadice: Cheerleader
    Buffalobiian: Mercenary

irc.gotwoot.net
    #gotwoot-fansubs for those interested
    Last edited by Sapphire; Tue, 06-08-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

I am totally interested in this idea. I've wanted to become a part of a fansub group for a long time now, to give back to the community for all the great anime I have seen fansubbed over the years. I would need to learn more about the process (and figure out exactly what I would be best at), but at least you know you are not alone!

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep.

Sounds like a good idea, too bad I don't have any skills proficient enough to be a part of such an undertaking.

Also if fansubbing proves to be too difficult, you can always start with manga translation. There's plenty of good manga out there that aren't translated.

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    i'd watch your releases. or provide QC or something if you guys want.

user posted image

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Dragon View Post
    Also if fansubbing proves to be too difficult, you can always start with manga translation. There's plenty of good manga out there that aren't translated.
    I'd say fansubbing anime would be easier (depending if it's text heavy or not) compared to manga at least for the translator.

Anime translator for the most part would just need to translate spoken audio which is probably easier to grasp than all manner of characters.

Unless you get a manga like Bleach with 10 pages of buildings crumbling... then you don't have to translate at all!

By the way, I think a few people on the forums are experienced in fansubbing, in some way... I'm sure they could give us some pointers as well.

I may not post much on the forums, but I check them out more than once a day. I like the idea, and I have a pretty roxor PC that I built myself... All I need would be to have someone recommend some good software for me to pirate and I could more than likely do timing and anything involving fast PC action hero-ness. I also have a clean grasp on the English language, which would help making a QC guys job easier cause it would be hard to slip poor grammar past me. (Yes, I know hero-ness is not a word and I thoroughly enjoy making up random word combinations, so don't let that fool you about my quality of language skills that I have started learning almost 20 years ago)

A side note... I would not be a fan of doing karaoke for opening and ending themes. Translating them is fine but karaoke on them actually annoys the hell outta me (I may be weird for thinking that)

Another side note... I like almost all anime I have seen, but I would prefer not to sub anything I would not enjoy watching myself. (Honestly, off the top of my head, I cannot think of a show I have not enjoyed, but I probably have only seen maybe 75 shows)

Even if you are not interested in my capabilities I would be glad to support a GotWoot? fansub group in any way possible.
    Last edited by The1LittleMchale; Fri, 04-16-2010 at 11:56 PM.

Could always name the fansub team something silly like [KUBO'D].

Quote Originally Posted by animus View Post
    Could always name the fansub team something silly like [KUBO'D].
    That is pure win.

Anyway... I haven't participated on fansub since the times of real media... and back then I just quality checked random scripts for Card Captor Sakura. I think it was back in 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by RyougaZell View Post
    That is pure win.

Anyway... I haven't participated on fansub since the times of real media... and back then I just quality checked random scripts for Card Captor Sakura. I think it was back in 2001.
    When has media ever been real? Sounds like an oxymoron to me...

And I don't think that name suggestion tops gg and their tag-line of "You cant spell faggot without us."

Quote Originally Posted by The1LittleMchale View Post
    When has media ever been real? Sounds like an oxymoron to me...

And I don't think that name suggestion tops gg and their tag-line of "You cant spell faggot without us."
    ...... real media... RM files. Real Player...

ring a bell?

Quote Originally Posted by RyougaZell View Post
    ...... real media... RM files. Real Player...

ring a bell?
    Oh... My apologies for being retarded. You saying that made me think of the viv player.... nightmares about Ranma 1/2.viv episodes will haunt me tonight.

The fansub team name would just be Gotwoot. All the members would be members of the Gotwoot community, and the torrents would be hosted on the Gotwoot tracker. So the name is perfectly fitting (and is just badass by itself). This is, of course, unless a founder/moderator deems it inappropriate to use the name.

Agreed... and it makes me think of this picture.

Is that... our logo?

I remember there was such an initiative a few years ago, we had plenty of people for every position. Even chose a series, but dont think we ever found a translator so the idea just died out unfortunately.

Got a fast computer and decent internet, would be happy to help out in any way i can

We have comps support!

Quote Originally Posted by comp the man
    [18:11] <~complich8> anyway, fansubbing is a big time commitment ... bigger than most people realize
    [18:12] <~complich8> and a big people-management exercise
    [18:12] <~complich8> more importantly, you need material to work on
    [18:13] <~complich8> I've seen friends of mine try to start groups of their own like 6 times, and every time it comes down to "we picked this up, but then someone experienced picked it up and did a better job in a third of the time it took us, and we lost all motivation to work on it"
    [18:14] <~complich8> so .... if you can find something to work on that nobody else is really doing, things will work out better ...
    [18:16] <~complich8> it means if you're serious about it and you can work out the problems of staffing and getting material, I'd be open to the idea of hooking you up with logistical support (ftp, tracker, etc)
    ---
    If I understand correctly, the following jobs are needed to make a fansub group:

Host: Comp
    Encoders
    Timers
    Translators
    Distributers
    QC
    Editor

I'm willing to be a deputee translator in training, and an editor

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    i'd be potentially interested in helping out, but there's got to be a commitment from core members for this thing to even have a hope of working.

the first thing we need is people signing up for particular jobs, saying what their availability is, what their credentials are, and saying how they'd get the job done.

i suppose i'd better go first.

position: Manga Translator
    Availability: once a week
    Conditions: I work better with written word than with spoken word, and I'm not about to agree to something that I'll regret, so, for me, it's manga or nothing right now.

I will not work on anything that is being done by another (semi-competent) group. I despise groups cluster-fucking around 10 titles when there are hundreds out there not being translated at all. Sure, if there's only one other group and they're full of fucking idiot fail, then I wouldn't hesitate to pick up that manga from them.

How: Kanji dictionary and grammar example database for the really nasty things. Notepad document with the English text written below the Japanese text

Credentials:
    NOT SAFE FOR WORK
    http://exhentai.org/uploader/themasamune
    NOT SAFE FOR WORK

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".