Kaichou wa Maid-sama!

Alternative titles:
    会長はメイド様! (Japanese)
    Maid Sama! (English)
    Class President is a Maid!

Type: TV
    Producers: J.C. Staff
    Genres: Comedy, Romance, School, Shoujo

Summary: A romantic comedy that centers on the student council head named Misaki Ayuzawa who despises the mostly male, slovenly population at her school, which was once an all-boys school. However, Misaki's most handsome schoolmate just discovered her secret — that she works afterschool at a maid café.

Based on Fujiwara Hiro's Kaichou wa Maid-sama! shoujo manga serialised in LaLa.

Links: Official Site | ANN | AniDB | MyAnimeList

------

[Eclipse] Kaichou wa Maid-sama - 01 - HD | SD
    Last edited by Marik; Fri, 04-02-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Replaced FFFPeeps with Eclipse.

[FFFpeeps] has a message on their site that they will be releasing a v2 due to some mistakes in it.

edit:

I watched FFFpeeps 720p version, and it was watchable, but if there is a better subber, I'll gladly watch them instead. The translation wasn't bad, but there are a lot of signs and things that went untranslated. They can leave the on-screen sound effects untranslated, but a lot of the name labels would have been nicer.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Fri, 04-02-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    The translation wasn't bad, but there are a lot of signs and things that went untranslated.
    Indeed. That annoyed me so much, that I didn't even bother to finish watching their release. I'm glad that Eclipse decided to pick this up instead. They translated all of the on-screen things that FFFPeeps skipped over.

---

"Don't touch her just because she's darn cute."

I wholeheartedly agree with this comment. I didn't think much of her in terms of looks at first, but when they showed her in her maid costume for the first time, I noticed how cute she looked in it.

The interaction between Takumi and Misaki on the roof reminded me a lot of Kei and Hikari from Special A

I felt kind of bad watching Misaki arrive home from school. Her gate broke, the flooring had a hole in it, and her mom didn't seem to be in good health either. Everything seems to be riding on her shoulders. Hopefully things work out for her and her family in the end.

Pretty good first episode. I'll probably stick with it just to see if Misaki and her family can rise up from such poor living conditions.
    Last edited by Marik; Sat, 04-03-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Fuck, eclipse decided to do ANOTHER shoujo this season? >_>

I guess I'll give it a go...

Well, nothing really stands out in the first episode that much. That's not a bad thing, but if I wasn't already sure I was going to watch this, it certainly wouldn't have hooked me in with this episode alone.

However, I do like Misaki's fiery personality. She might be violent and a bit of a man-hater, but on the other hand, she takes almost all of the burden on herself. Nor is she totally unreasonable. The boys accused her of not being fair for criticizing them about magazines but not the girls, so Misaki was pretty quick to compromise. If she was unreasonable, I would hate her.

Usui is a good character too. He's really nonchalant and a bit spaced out, but he's a perfect counter for her. She works herself to death, and he doesn't seem to care at all.

The biggest plus so far, is that off the shoulder maid outfit Misaki wears. Her manager is a ridiculously overly cute maniac character too. Voiced well by Toyosaki Aki ( Yui from K-ON ).

As for the other VAs, Usui's ( Layfrom from Regios, Luke from Boobsmith ) is perfect.

Misaki's (Ayano from Kaze no Stigma, Niche from Letter Bee, Azaka from Kara no Kyoukai, Cecily from Boobsmith ) is a bit over the top at times, but I think she fits well enough and should settle in to the role. She sounds a bit more violent than I thought she'd be, but her character was pretty one-sided this episode.

This could be my favorite show of the season. While I agree with Ryll on the fact that the first episode presented nothing extraordinary as such, I still found the episode (and show) altogether very balanced and pleasant to watch. I liked the characters a lot. They have quite sharp personalities, that is, developed personal traits, which is a big plus for me always.

As uber traditional as the setting of a long-suffering girl and a well-off, super intelligent but relaxed guy is, it seems to work nicely in this series. Possibly also because I don't read or watch that much shoujo (on purpose).

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I don't watch/read much shoujo muself neither, so even if there's many better shows to make a comparison to, personally this reminds me of Special A.

Guess I'll keep watching.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Marik View Post
    The interaction between Takumi and Misaki on the roof reminded me a lot of Kei and Hikari from Special A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I don't watch/read much shoujo muself neither, so even if there's many better shows to make a comparison to, personally this reminds me of Special A.
    Just got around to watching the first episode, and I'm glad I'm not the only one to get Special A vibes off this all over the place. Misaki kind of looks like Hikari, and Usui is nonchalant/calm and collected just as much as Kei.... they are both #1 and 2 in the school... and Misaki admits she is a very competitive person just like Yukari.

I can't say this is a bad thing though. I liked Special A, even if I can't remember how it ended now (I just know it pissed me off that it took so long for something to happen).

I'll probably keep up with this as well.
    Last edited by Alhuin; Tue, 04-06-2010 at 09:35 PM.

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep.

Blog Entries
    So what's the correct word to characterize the blond guy? Male kuudere, perhaps?

I'd hesitate to call him such. One problem is, in my opinion, that the dude has been initiating everything. I wouldn't have problems with a kuudere trying to better the relationship later but it's kind of weird if he's the one making all the first moves (aside from saving somebody, of course). Although this of course is no decisive factor by far.

More than that I personally feel he's just playing the part of a cool, disinterested guy when he's actually superinterested. Still, if he keeps up such behavior for the rest of the series, then I might admit you are right. But right now I think it's not really his genuine behavior but just a combination of being bored, trying to keep a certain distance to get to know more about Misaki, and just teasing her. Plus it might be a part of his image and an element of defense against all the confessing girl.

Blog Entries
    I think I'll characterize him as a tender sadist posing as a male kuudere

Ooh strong female lead? Hot tall dark and handsome male? Looking foward to following this show.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Kaichou wa Maid-sama Episode 2

Nekomimi maid desu!

[Eclipse] Kaichou wa Maid-sama - 02 (1280x720 h264)

-----------------------------------

Misaki's manager Satsuki going off into Lala Land about her was probably the highlight of the episode for me. Misaki may still definitely be a man-hater, but I think this episode compounded upon what they showed last episode. She's pretty harsh as a class president, but when she screws things up, she makes up for it. Misaki takes in everything that people say about her, like Usui warning her to actually listen, and Satsuki emphasizing the importance of letting people have fun and making sure to have fun themselves. She works really hard to make up for it after she catches on. I like that things don't just magically work out, she has to reign in her ego, apologize, and put in extra effort to turn things around. It isn't something you usually see in characters that are similar to her.

Misaki was clamping down so hard on trying to attract girls to the school that she and the boys of Usui's class stopped having fun.

It is nice to see that she can reflect on her mistakes, admit she made one, and do her best to act fairly and responsibly. She learned a lot from Satsuki speech and Usui's remarks. Then she even started to have a bit of fun herself.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 04-10-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Too bad Usui's VA doesn't speak better English... But Usui was quite a sparkling bishounen nonetheless.

This episode leveled down somewhat from the first, I'd say, although no doubt it's partially subjectively due to lessing novelty. Usui turned quite aggressive quite fast. The scene of pushing Misaki against the tree and those words were as good as a confession - if not for the fact Misaki must be considering him a dualistically sadistic player.

I find it pleasant Usui doesn't compromise much in trying to make Misaki open up to guys (in constructive ways). He's clearly being himself between the continuous passive and increasingly active teasing and the nonchalantly given real pieces of advice. It seems to be an effective and wise strategy as well, more than anything else would be. If she hates men, better make her change her opinion of real men, not men trying to be artificially sweet.

A jolly good second ep all in all, with nekomimi and everything.

The nekomimi moved. It was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    The nekomimi moved. It was great.
    I second this. *nods*

@Kraco: I was under the impression Usui's "aggressiveness" in the forest was meant to be more of his cosplay act. She even commented on him still wearing the uniform. I mean, I'm sure he ultimately does think that, but I don't think he was openly engaging as himself.

Though in any case, I actually didn't enjoy that part. I'm more fond of the way he was pursuing her beforehand. Pretending not to be interested more than just simply entertainment, while treating her with the utmost care... being aggressive and forceful is a polar opposite.

The rest of the episode was hilarious though. Strip Rock-Paper-Scissors! Gotta remember that one.

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuin View Post
    Though in any case, I actually didn't enjoy that part. I'm more fond of the way he was pursuing her beforehand. Pretending not to be interested more than just simply entertainment, while treating her with the utmost care... being aggressive and forceful is a polar opposite.
    If this was shounen, the aggressive part might not have ever happened - although like you said, it was partially encouraged by the cosplay act - but since this is shoujo, even good guys can be much bolder.

Actually I like the style in this show a lot because while this is no doubt shoujo, it has taken many steps toward shounen making it much more easy to digest. This shows in graphics that are rounder than in typical shoujo and also in some character behaviors, like the troublemaking guys of the class who could have been borrowed straight from a shounen show. Of course this isn't any novel and unique thing as such but fits very well the setting and the basic concept of the show nonetheless.

Blog Entries
    What happened to episode 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    What happened to episode 3?
    It's being subbed?

Eclipse's translator was sick, so it got delayed. It's supposed to be released once Mentar gets off from work.

[03:42am] <@Mentar> kay, off to the office. Kaichou when I'm back

That's from this morning when they released fma.
    Last edited by Marik; Mon, 04-19-2010 at 10:06 AM.