Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Piece Chapter 579

Quote Originally Posted by animus View Post
    Yeah, Shanks doesn't seem that strong. I recall it saying that Shanks used to rival Mihawk before he lost his arm, and Mihawk's pretty small fish at the moment compared to everyone else is he not?
    Who said it was before he lost his arm? And if I remember correctly, Mihawk said he gave up on challenging Shanks, which imlpies that it was Mihawk's goal to defeat Shanks, which implies that Shanks is the stronger of the two.

Didn't Zoro want to challenge Mihawk because Mihawk holds the title for "World's strongest swordsman"?
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Shanks was able to split the sky with Whitebeard back when he visited him on that ship, so I think he is probably close to Whitebeard's strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    Who said it was before he lost his arm? And if I remember correctly, Mihawk said he gave up on challenging Shanks, which imlpies that it was Mihawk's goal to defeat Shanks, which implies that Shanks is the stronger of the two.
    When was this? I was pretty sure Shanks or someone else had said they used to be both neck and neck in swordsmanship at least when he still had his arm. Maybe it was when they were drinking some sake together? I can't recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    Didn't Zoro want to challenge Mihawk because Mihawk holds the title for "World's strongest swordsman"?
    Just because he uses a sword doesn't mean he is a "swordsman". Whitebeard used that spear, but his main ability was the Quake. Mihawk may be the strongest swordsman, but he is certainly not the strongest fighter.

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/96/16/

It seemed like giving BB the quake power was a way to let him survive a fight against a high-level non-df user. WB said something along the lines that BB had no defense and was unprepared to fight someone who didn't rely on df powers. Before the quake addition it seemed like Shanks would have mopped the floor with BB.

Wow.

I wonder if we could get our first glimpse of kaidou? Shanks last known position was intercepting him was it not? perhaps the two have hatched a plan between them to benefit from the war in some way.

It seems from what we have seen so far that shanks is stronger? we still dont know if shanks has an ability yet, perhaps he has somthing that can totally change the game on the marines? We have seen the marines quit fearlessly take on, and pretty much anihilate the whitebeard pirates who basically ammounted to a rogue army! But shanks all on his lonesome with one cremate manages to hold down 2 admirals and plans to end the war? he must have somthing or some ability up his sleave (the other one i presume).

Shanks went into the water to save Luffy from the sea king, so unless he obtained a devils fruit since then, I'd believe he's just pure haki combat.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/96/16/

The way Mihawk's line is translated can also be interpreted as him saying that Shanks is not worth fighting anymore since he lost his arm, which would indicate that Mihawk was on par, but is now stronger than Shanks. I also think that we can assume Mihawk wouldn't willingly walk into an Emperor's camp alone if he didn't believe he could get out safely.

'Course, this is inconsistent with what we've seen in this "war" arc with Mihawk being held by Vista, Whitebeard's 5th division commander. My guess is that Mihawk and Shanks are probably comparable in individual ability - that is to say, one wouldn't be overwhelmed by the other - but Shanks commands a lot more power through his crew and possible fleet.

Like someone else already said (Carnage?), Mihawk is the strongest swordsmen, not the strongest fighter.

Personally I think Shanks is one of the strongest Haki users in the entire manga, and I think Oda has tried to show him that way.

As Assertn said, he jumped in the water to save Luffy, and at that time was able to scare off a Sea King with a stare - presumably Haki (who knows, maybe he's eaten a fruit since then).

Then we saw him on WB's ship knocking people unconscious with his Haki. Now yes, we have seen this before (even with Luffy in the current arc), but what I found interesting with Shanks was that - from what I could tell - he didn't really do any "Haki burst". Both Raylaigh (sp?) and Luffy had clear "bursts" that coincided with the intense (somewhat constipated) look on their face. Shanks simply walked by.

He then went on to split the sky into two with WB, and of course the latest incident he stoped Akainu's attack relatively easy.

Idk, I could be wrong, but I get the drift that he's one of - if not the - strongest Haki user in the manga at this point. After all, he is Yonkou, most likely without a Devil's Fruit.

[21:48] * DO furiously masturbates to #gotwoot

I'd say Rayleigh is stronger than Shanks. He was the right hand man of Roger after all. But then again, he was in a deadlock with Kizaru or so it seemed for plot purposes.

To me it doesn't seem so clear cut as to who is stronger than who.

The comment Mihawk made to me seem along a more prideful tone of "I won't fight a cripple man" than an indication of Shank's strength. I wouldn't say that Mihawk is weaker than the admirals either since he could stand toe to toe with anyone of them if he has the ability to use Haki. It's not like Mihawk being on par with Vista makes him any weaker. After all Marco was on par with Kizaru until the seastone cuffs. I can't imagine that there is such a huge gap of strength between the first and fifth division commander.

I think it's more along the line of who is more suited to fight who. We've seen Jinbei not being able to hold off a Logia user like Akainu, but his monstrous strength would cause trouble for pretty much everyone else.

Shanks also strike me as a brain over brawn kinda guy. Even if we assume that he is weaker than the admirals (which i doubt) it's hard for me to believe that he walked into the middle of all this without some sort of a plan.

As often, we fall into the vs. trap.

Didn't Shanks say on Whitebeards ship that he felt he had to be a little intimidating? To me this implies that he wasn't even using a large portion of his strength and was still knocking out low-level pirates just by walking by.
    Also, I always assumed his duals against Mihawk were just to work on actual swordfighting technique. I doubt Shanks was using Haki in duels against him and was more just challenging himself to improve his actual sword skill.

Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    I don't know. We've seen Luffy and Zoro and Luffy and Ussop fighting seriously. Shit can happen between close friends. I mean, a "jolly pirate" will fight anybody who gets in the way of his goals.

We know that Roger and Whitebeard were at least friendly, if not friends (I am guessing they were... Roger offered to give Whitebeard directions to Raftel, but Whitebeard wasn't even interested in it.) One the other hand, we know they have fought duels against each other. Since they're both "jolly pirates", we can assume that their duels came about since their goals conflicted, but that it wasn't "personal", and that they stopped fighting as soon as their goals stopped conflicting.

I guess the point I'm making is that Shanks versus Mihawk could have been "serious", but that they needn't become enemies just because they have fought in the past. Even now, they're on opposite sides of a war, specifically because Shanks realized that Blackbeard was using the WG to tip the balance of the world. And you can be (pretty) sure that if Mihawk and Shanks end up facing off, they'll fight seriously, despite the fact that Mihawk surely realized it (about Blackbeard) too.
    "After all, I am strangely colored."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnder View Post
    Fucking Oda wouldn't even kill Pell, there's no way he's killing off Ace.

I wouldn't even believe that he was going to kill off Whitebeard if it weren't for the fact that he already seems to be dying and that this whole arc is kind of pointless if Whitebeard doesn't die.
    Kukuku, the fool dares to underestimate Oda-sensei ...
    Last edited by Archangel; Tue, 03-30-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Kukuku, the fool dares to underestimate Oda-sensei ...
    For me, Ace's death left a bigger impact precisely because he didn't kill Pell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Dragon View Post
    For me, Ace's death left a bigger impact precisely because he didn't kill Pell.
    I don't know, i think his death would have had a lot of significance too

Shanks blocked a physical attack from Whitebeard with one arm. The only purpose of that clash was to show that he was strong. We've seen a bunch of people get owned by Whitebeards physical attacks in this war so we know just how powerful they are.