Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Game: BlazBlue Series

Game: BlazBlue Series

Developed by Arc System Works, the masteminds behind Guilty Gear, BlazBlue is a fighting game that brings us into a world tainted by past wars and surrounded by many mysteries behind the armagus, the boundary and more.

Plot from Wikipedia:
    Prior to the events of BlazBlue, humanity was on the verge of extinction from the "Black Beast", a creature of Darkness. The world was saved by six heroes who wielded magic. They helped humanity create "Armagus", a fusion of magic and technology, to defeat the Beast.

After the war, the Novus Orbis Librarium (the Library or NOL for short) was created to govern the world with the use of Armagus. A great deal of dissent was caused by the Library, partly due to Armagus' use in nearly every facet of society, and the widening socioeconomic gap between those who could and couldn't use Armagus. This dissent would eventually form years later into The Ikaruga Civil War, when the Ikaruga Union openly rebelled against the Library. After the war, the Library imposed a harsher rule on the world, punishing any rebellion against the Library with the death penalty.

In December A.D. 2199, several years after the Ikaruga Civil War, a branch of the Library was utterly destroyed by an SS-class rebel named "Ragna the Bloodedge" also known as the "Grim Reaper", in an attempt to destroy the entire Library. The Novus Orbis Librarium, hoping to stop him, immediately announced the largest bounty ever, available to anyone who could capture him. Interestingly, Ragna possesses a powerful form of Armagus known as the "Azure Grimoire" (Grimoire of the Blue in Japan), also known as the BlazBlue. This led the Librarium, as well as the Ikaruga Union and other fighters, to hunt Ragna not just for his bounty, but also his grimoire.
    BlazBlue Calamity Trigger:
    The first game in the series was released for PS3 and Xbox360 in June 2009, in America, while an European Release is programmed for March 2010.

The console version expands the story with its Story Mode, giving us more insight on the characters involvement with the mysteries of BlazBlue.

A portable version for PSP is programmed to be released in March 2010 as well. The PSP port will include small additions like Unlimited Characters that are already available as DLC for Xbox360 and are programmed for mid-february for PS3.

BlazBlue Battle x Battle - DSI Ware

A... hmmm... nevermind... ok ok... game for DSIWare. I doubt we will see it english though.

BlazBlue Continuum Shift

Continuum Shift picks up where Calamity Trigger ended. It was released on Japanese arcades on November 2009 while a Console port has been announced for summer in Japan. Hopefully it won't take that long to arrive to America.

Three new characters enter the ranks of BlazBlue. One of this new characters is exclusive to the console version, at least for now.

Scans:

----------------

Didn't see a thread so I decided to start it. Specially after the console port announcement of Continuum Shift. I do know there are several BlazBlue players here so... thoughts?

You forgot the most important question! Who do you regularly play as?

----------------------------

Almost exclusively Rachel for me, though I dabble with Litchi (badly) and I'm rather inconsistent with Tao. Rachel plays a lot like a cross between Testament and Dizzy from Guilty Gear, so it's not a big leap for me. I'm still discovering new uses of her Slyphied Drive every time I play. Rachel and a number of others really require a lot of dedication, far more than any other character from a fighting franchise that I can remember. The dvd that came with the special edition was completely wrong by the way. It said that Rachel doesn't have a lot of defensive moves so you have to rely on turtling. I found the exact opposite to be the case. Nearly all of her attacks are defensive in nature or rely on zone control. Turtling with Rachel will get you trapped at the edge of the screen and get you killed. She may not have a lot of mobility without her Drive, but you need it to utilize her options. Particularly the way her Drive affects all her attacks to do more damage. She has amazing anti-air, but you need to be active in order to use it.

The thing that I really like about the Drive system is that while some of the characters are really simple in terms of their drives and are just straight-out attacks, others give you huge advantages when you figure out their intricacies. Rachel's can be used in pretty much every way you can imagine, from modifying her attacks to do more damage to even pushing your opponent just out of range for your hitbox. Another example is Noel. From the outside and on the shallow end, it looks like it is just an Easy Combo button, but someone skilled with her will teach you the hard way that it isn't the attacks in her drive, but the myriad of built-in dodges that make Noel formidable.

The story mode was really enjoyable too. There is a ton of lore embedded in it, and some of that is expanded on further in the Oshiete Litchi-Sensei! segments. I also really like how the proper endings to each of the characters' stories fit together without many (if any) continuity errors. They really created a fascinating world.

As far as Continuum Shift, I'm really hoping it makes it here, but not all the revisions of Guilty Gear made it over here (I don't think XX Slash did). Takumi/Hazama doesn't really interest me, but I like the way his Drive gives him a ton of mobility while also functioning as a grab attack. Tsubaki seems like she plays like the EX version of Jam from Guilty Gear, so she catches my interest. I'd like to see something of better quality than handycam youtube videos of her, to really gauge how she plays.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Tue, 02-09-2010 at 05:00 PM.

I mainly play as Noel or Taokaka, but I've been trying to learn other characters. Mainly because of the story mode. I've found Tager, Rachel and Shishigami Bang to be quite enjoyable to use. Heck, even Ragna. Nu-13 is cool, but feels cheap sometimes.

I hate Carl and Jin though.

Im actually trying to learn how to use Noel right. Im not that good on fighting games... out of 50 online games I've only won 20... and all with Noel. Oops...

Continuum Shift may be bad news for you though. I read they completely re-did Rachel.

What interests me the most of CS, and the reason why I hope they do localize it here, is that it continues the plot were CT left. It ain't a CT 1.5 in terms of story.

Miu - 12 is exclusive to consoles, so we can't really say how 'she' will play. I do hope for new characters though. I kinda wanted to play as Makoto or another of the six heroes. Or even an all new character, heck. Only 3 new characters feels a bit... small. Plot saves it for me.

You own the Xbox version if Im not mistaken right? Its a shame we can't have an online match. Though I would probably lose.

Quote Originally Posted by RyougaZell
    Continuum Shift may be bad news for you though. I read they completely re-did Rachel.

You own the Xbox version if Im not mistaken right? Its a shame we can't have an online match. Though I would probably lose.
    The only thing that really bothers me is that they slowed down the recharge on her wind. When it was exhausted, you were already somewhat helpless, now it might be worse. Her rods now disappearing when she gets hit is sad (fun way to stagger your opponent when they start a combo on you), but I can deal with that because it was a bit cheap. Sword Iris (activating the lightning rods) is much improved by changing it to 214A (or C now?) and being able to use it in the air. 22A didn't reliably fire if you did it too fast or too slow. I'll manage, just have to relearn her all over. Nerfing the damage on her old Distortion Drive hurts, but it was tough to get most of the rods and hover above them anyway.

Yeah, 360 version. I think the only reason you might lose to me would be because you play Noel. One of my friends focuses on Noel (that's why I know so much about the dodges, not to mention that accursed aerial Distortion Drive!). Otherwise I'm not that good.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Wed, 02-10-2010 at 04:59 AM.

I knew they had changed Rachel but I hadn't read how much they did. It is indeed sad her rods dissapear if she gets hit. Maybe they can leave them on with Unlimited Rachel... but Unlimited are kinda cheap. Fun to use among friends in the same room, but a big no online.

You that own the Xbox version... how much does it cost for each new unlimited character? Depending on the cost I may get them all or only Noel, Taokaka and Bang. I won't pay for Carl.

Carl seems to be an efficient character, if you do know how to use him, but I just don't have the patience to learn him. Im actually planning to win his arcade mode in the easiest difficulty, only for the sake to get the Astral Heat Trophy (Achievement for you)

Ah yes. How much does it cost for the new color palettes? If possible in dollar equivalent (I know Xbox uses points...)

If the rods disappeared after they're up, she'd be unplayable. If you had to avoid getting hit the whole match, you would never do any appreciable damage. The change is that they just might not create a rod if she gets hit when you fire it. It will be more like the frog or pumpkin when you get hit as it flies through the air. Once the rod goes up it still stays up. As it stands now, you can fire it when you know you're about to get hit, do decent damage, stagger your opponent and get a free rod out of it all at once.

1 USD for Unlimited Rachel, Ranga, Hakumen and Nu, or you can unlock them by beating the Arcade Mode on any difficulty. Personally, I think you can do a lot more damage with regular Rachel. When the normal lightning is focused on three rods, it does a great deal of damage. Unlimited mode makes it much harder, since you don't need the rods and it just shoots out three in sequence (and it takes some time before you can use it again).

Unlimited Jin, Noel, Taokaka, tagger, Litchi, Arakune, Bang, and Carl all come as a set (no individuals) and are about 5 USD.

There are three sets of color unlocks, the first is about 5 USD and the second two sets are around 6 USD (400 and 480 xbl points). Each set has 4 colors. You can buy them in character A, B, and C sets for 2 USD each.
    A: Rachel, Tager, Litchi, and Arakune
    B: Ragna, Jin, Noel, and Carl
    C: Taokaka, Bang, Hakumen and v-13

The first set is a lot of fun, since a lot of the schemes are recognizable palettes. Litchi for example has Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers) colors, and Rachel is Hatsune Miku (of Vocaloid fame). I haven't tried out the third set, but the second is based off European flags.

I beat Carl on Very Easy and it was still tough to beat Nu. I can't split my concentration easily between Carl and Nirvana and lose track of her easily. Like Rachel, Carl requires a lot of dedication. I've been absolutely trashed by one on XBL.

Ah! I guess I misunderstood what you said of Rachel. I can live with that change definitely.

I already unlocked Unlimited Rachel and Ragna, but haven't played through Hakumen or Nu-13's arcade mode. 5 dollars for all other Unlimited Characters is very decent. Gamefaq forums said each were 5 dlls. Screw em.

Im torn on the Palette colors. Those Im interested are separated among the groups... so I need to end buying them all to save a few bucks. Beh. Well, need to get a PSN card first though.

I also got crushed by a Carl online once. He can be such a beast. But I don't have the motivation to learn him.

I actually entered the BlazBlue boat a bit late. I just finished the True Ending yesterday actually. Like I said, Im not very good, but I completely fell in love with the story and several characters (Noel and Taokaka mainly).

I kinda blame you Ryll. After you posted some of Noel's scans a few months ago the game picked my interest and here I am.

Blog Entries
    Ryll and Zell are having a civilized conversation :O

Is it 2012 already?

Is it true that the PS3 version doesn't have voice chat? What a bunch of BS if true. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch
    Is it true that the PS3 version doesn't have voice chat? What a bunch of BS if true. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU
    False. It does have it. And its really annoying btw. When I create a room I place the no-voice-chat rule.

Any PS3 BlazBlue players here? I want to play with someone I know. Only Ryll seems to play the game here, but he owns a different console.

Any PS3 BlazBlue players here? I want to play with someone I know. Only Ryll seems to play the game here, but he owns a different console.
    I'll let you guys know if I ever get bored of Guilty Gear and start to play BB.

However, what with GG PS360 on the distant horizon, I'm probably not looking to take up BB any time soon.

KIMOCHI~II

Im torn on the Palette colors. Those Im interested are separated among the groups... so I need to end buying them all to save a few bucks. Beh. Well, need to get a PSN card first though.
    I stand corrected on this. The second two packs are only two colors each, not four.

The European flag ones are awesome for some of the characters (particularly Noel), but the other set is pretty lame, mostly solid colors like white. That said, getting Taokaka's is the worth the entire pack, it turns her into a black and white cartoon character.

I was going to buy them this weekend... but fucking walmart didn't activate my psn card... now I need to wait while my brother fixes this... thankfully he works on the border...

Well I own it on the PS3 though hardly played it because only play it with a friend so didn't want to get that much better than him when he doesn't have it yet. He's waiting for BBCS to come out here in Europe.
    You are here alone again
    In your sweet insanity
    All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
    Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
    When all the world turns away to leave you lonely

Well, if you ever decide to take online matches, I'll be there.

I don't mind playing every now and then but be warned I seriously suck at this game
    You are here alone again
    In your sweet insanity
    All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
    Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
    When all the world turns away to leave you lonely

Quote Originally Posted by fireheart
    I don't mind playing every now and then but be warned I seriously suck at this game
    Since I only main Noel, playing random matches with every character may be the way to go. plus its fun trying to use characters you don't main.

I am determined to learn to use Litchi.

One of my friends is downright nasty with Jin and Ranga (he plays shotos in other games anyway), and he's proficient enough with Arakune (squiggly). I managed to completely confound him using Litchi, so maybe I'm finally making headway with her. Still nowhere near as good as I am with Rachel, but I can't even come close to beating him while using Rachel when he uses Jin, since Jin is completely broken.

Just played a bit of CS, and I have to say I do like the game.
    I've only used Litchi and Tsubaki so far, but I really like Tsubaki. Litchi is just hot >_>.
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    I am determined to learn to use Litchi.

One of my friends is downright nasty with Jin and Ranga (he plays shotos in other games anyway), and he's proficient enough with Arakune (squiggly). I managed to completely confound him using Litchi, so maybe I'm finally making headway with her. Still nowhere near as good as I am with Rachel, but I can't even come close to beating him while using Rachel when he uses Jin, since Jin is completely broken.
    I hate playing against Jin. But that is what makes it more sweet when you defeat a high level player (40+) that abuses Jin.

When I began playing online I thought I would see everyone playing Ragna. I was wrong. Jin is the bitch online... bleh. Better for me I guess, since I like Ragna's character. Whereas I hate Jin's character and plot.

On Trophy/Achievements matters Ryll... any easy way to get Rachel's 25 second on air trophy/achievement?