Thread: PC -> HDTv playback lagging

PC -> HDTv playback lagging

Hello!

Whenever i play a video file on my computer connected to my Tv (~1 year old samsung HDtv) through a DVI - HDMI cable, the video can stutter/lagg for a few seconds every now and then. It's still pretty watchable but gets very annoying when you know it's there. It's pretty much the same for SD and HD video.

Im running windows 7, and it plays flawlessly on my LCD monitor. Im mostly using MPC but have also tried VLC and more. I've used CCCP codec pack but now im currently using CoreAVC.

Been thinking it may be the cable that's sucky or some setting on my tv, dunno. Just thought i would ask here before going out to buy something new

Can you please post your monitor size, your TV size and your computer spec?

It might also help to try playing the video while using game mode on your TV. You won't notice a quality drop in videos but it will probably reduce the lag.
    Last edited by Dark Dragon; Tue, 12-01-2009 at 10:00 AM.

My monitor is 19" and TV is 40"

PC specs:
    E6420 Clocked @ 2,9 ghz
    4GB 800mhz ram
    8800 GTS

Will try the gaming mode setting to see if there's a difference now

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I would check the refresh rate your comp is set to and compare it to what your HDTV accepts for computer in...

It's been one of my concerns for past 2 years for anime watching on a comp, with 60Hz displays to play 24Hz videos....

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I just watched some video with the modes Cinema, Gaming and off. Gaming were the only one which ran it flawlessly. The picture quality is still pretty good but i feel that i have it better calibrated in the off mode.

You wouldnt happen to know what settings or what the major differences in theese modes are?

Game mode essentially reduce lag by lowering the quality of video processing like de-interlacing and such but the decrease in quality is pretty much unnoticeable with videos.

I'm not really an expert at this stuff, since this is a lot of things that i picked up when i was having these problems myself. I would think that your video card is what is causing the problem. An 8800 GTS is not a bad card by any mean, it's just a bit outdated and you're trying to run HD videos on a 40" TV. Of course this is just my opinion so i would suggest you go out and find an expert on this subject before buying a new card.

If you really don't want to spend any money, you can simply just keep using game mode since there isn't a huge drop in quality
    Last edited by Dark Dragon; Wed, 12-02-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks for the help! I've started to play with the thought of upgrading my computer soonish anyways, gaming mode should suffice pretty good until then
    The only thing i find a bit weird is that there's the same lagg for any video 1080p 720p and even 480p

Quote Originally Posted by Sandldan
    Thanks for the help! I've started to play with the thought of upgrading my computer soonish anyways, gaming mode should suffice pretty good until then
    The only thing i find a bit weird is that there's the same lagg for any video 1080p 720p and even 480p
    check comp refresh rate VS screen refresh rate, really...

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

hmm i tried switching refresh rate settings but they just wanted to default back, will have to read up on it a bit

My 8800 GTS died on me a few weeks ago so i got myself a cheap Radeon 5770, found a whole lot more display options there and was easily able to lower the Hz which fixed the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Sandldan
    My 8800 GTS died on me a few weeks ago so i got myself a cheap Radeon 5770, found a whole lot more display options there and was easily able to lower the Hz which fixed the problem
    See...
    refresh rate sync is a total nightmare, and electronics manufacturers sometimes just don't care. So you end up with problems that should not exist in the first place. Then there's the historical background behind 24p and at times you wonder what progress is...