Thread: Gundam 00 The Movie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs View Post
    i think we're being trolled pretty hard with this release.

and it also feels like this movie is complete and utter ridiculous bullshit.

i'm going to wait for a group that isn't a bunch of immature trolls to release this. then i'm probably going to hate it anyway...
    Haku told me to change to the second "boring" subtitle track. That one's fine.

Movie comments follow:

-------------------------------------------------

Overall I found this movie alright. There were things I did like, and things I didn't that roughly balanced it out to "meh".

- Aliens: During Ribbons Almark vs Setsuna, I got T-1000 vibes. Since that part, I had a feeling that these guys were awfully familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then, during the final parts of the movie it hit me. Fafner. Those guys screamed Fafner aliens to me, and that isn't a good thing. In general I just hate the mindless, assimilating, formless aliens who are waiting to be understood. There's no dialogue or development till the very end, which tends to be lackluster anyway. You fight swarms and swarms of these things (and it doesn't matter what they are, really, be it metal, silicon, or chunks rock) until someone tells them to stop.

I don't feel any tension or drama from that. On the other hand, the whole unmanned vehicle accidents and pseudo-Ribbons attacks were my favourite. At least those guys look and feel evil. The Hallelujah dodging scene at the power plant was arguably the best scene in this movie.

- Characters in the show: I didn't feel anything for most of them. The Mina girl confused the hell out of me since I thought she was Nina Trinity the whole time. Shaman Innovator guy could have been a decent villian (he had the looks, even if his evilness was cookie-cutter labrat style), but his role ended up being near-totally disposable, save for telling us the rest of mankind are evolving. edit: on second thought, that's important for the story. I just felt he could have been more. Graham - what's his deal in this story again? As for Setsuna, I never liked him taking the Superman role ever since the second season of 00 with his 00-Raiser + hacks. He just doesn't shine. Nothing about him is likeable, really.

Except his gundam.

There were ones I did like though.

Tieria - man, this guy went from being a complete asshole in S1 to being pretty badass since S2 onwards. I smiled when Desu-girl declared her love for him. About time he gets something back.

Mr Invincible - aka ACE of the EU, or Mr always-gets-shot-down. I don't care if he's just comedy relief. That guy's got style, and totally owns Mannequin. That guy's the luckiest bastard in this whole series.

S2 favourites were Al and Soma, but they were done like 5 episodes in. They've been side characters ever since. Nothing ever happens with them anymore.

Mobile Suits - my main gripe is the lack of discrimination between them all. It was going that way in S2, and now they finished it. Flag, A-Laws, Gundams, they're all the same. They've all got GN drives, all got GN fields and all have beam cannons. No suit had any tactical advantage over another and just turned out into one big shootout

Even if you say Lockon isn't as good at his brother, you didn't have to give him indiscriminate shooting did you? I laughed pretty hard at that one.

Al without Hal is just mediocre. (the dialogue before going into six-eye-mode was so weird it has hilarious).

Veda being used like a public library was another strange turn of events - the new peace administration is so unrealistically unselfish.

Action was good. One would expect nothing less from theatrical Sunrise release.

As a movie being the final chapter to the 00 franchise, I can't say it did badly in wrapping up all the loose threads - in fact, I think it managed to get them all. But inorganic, assimilating aliens?

..I couldn't bring myself to care.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 01-05-2011 at 07:35 AM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~