Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kobato

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Okay, this is what happened at 11:30 (gg release)

Kobato introduced herself as "Hanato Kobato" (subbed as Kobato Hanato)
    Girl introduced herself as "Tadokoro Mutsumi" (subbed: Mutsumi Tadokoro.)
    Guy walks past and comments on her hair, calling her "Tadokoro" (subbed as Mutsumi)

WTF? Exactly.

This, plus the fact that gg's doing just about every other show this season, makes them look all the more like HorribleSubs#2.

I'm hoping this wasn't intentional, and that the TL just put in whatever name came to mind, while everybody else was too lazy/incompetent to change it. It doesn't make it any better, but still.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Its like when a girl is called 'onee-chan' and the subs put the name of the girl in question.

Yes. Annoying idiotic americanization.

Plus the numerous typos and more blatant writing errors in the sub that's very unlike the gg quality I got used to it the past. Their subs might have been somewhat mechanical always but Kobato makes them look like Chihiro or something. Although I don't know if Chihiro still keeps making mistakes.

[Hatsuyuki]​_Kobato​_-​_03[848x480][31F1377E].mkv

Im glad I waited for this version.

Mutsumi's plot was short. The focus of the episode was getting Kobato a home and her continuous activities at the nursery. Still good.

Nice to see the Chobits crossover here, even if its an alternate universe. Chise and Chiho equal not to Elda and Freya after all.

Though, I was surprised to see Kohaku and Suichirou at the end. I never expected Kobato to have a cross with Wish.

The baker guy is also a recurrent character on Chobits. And even the store where Kobato went to gather info had the Piffle Princess logo.

I guess you need to be a CLAMP fan to notice all this things though.

lol, and now gg drops QC all together

http://www.ggkthx.org/2009/10/25/qc-...tion/#more-964

They make valid points, in which case they should replace the editor, QCer and perhaps even the translator of Kobato for someone else.

Im happy about my decision of seeing Hatsuyuuki's releases then. I just need to find another good one for Kampfer and Sacred BlackSmith. And I guess this shall be another series I won't be discussing, since I'll be waiting for a better sub than half-assed from gg.

Best example goes towards how this thread has only been discussing gg's half-assed job contrary to the show itself. The show didn't seem to have that many fans to begin with...

I actually already downloaded Yuurisan-Subs' episode 3. I haven't checked it out yet, though, but I will soon to see how it compares to gg's. I'll report back. If it's good, I might just stick to them and not downloaded gg's travesties anymore. I never intended to archive gg's sad attempts in the first place and I don't see much reason to download this series twice.

I shall watch this until the alternatives' quality is assessed:

gg - Episode 04

-----

Subs weren't so bad this time, though only because the characters each only had one name for gg to play around with this time.

That rabbit always ticked me off in the middle, but if it's going to make regular appearances in the episode too... urgh.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Thu, 10-29-2009 at 06:46 AM.

I changed my subs to Yuurisan-Subs, and I noticed no problems in Episode 4. I'll stick to them. I already replaced the earlier episodes.

Watching both this series and Kiddy Girl it's hard to understand how one idiot girl can be so nice to watch and tolerable while the other is totally insufferable. But of course only one of them has Ioryogi with her...

This episode presented a good lesson for Kobato: It's of limited use to "heal" a person who's not broken. But of course she wouldn't be Kobato if she cared for such details. Even with her two first candies she had no idea she was earning them at the time it happened. She just did what she wanted to do.

But she sure likes to meddle.

Hatsuyuuki and Yuuri-san...which one has a more stable release schedule?

[Nipponsei] Kobato OP Single - Magic Number [Sakamoto Maaya].zip

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    That rabbit always ticked me off in the middle, but if it's going to make regular appearances in the episode too... urgh.
    Ugh... I was gonna post about the rabbit... but remembered I was already neg repped in this thread for spoiling. I really don't know how much to speak when it comes to CLAMP... many characters appear from other series. Including THE rabbit

Hatsuyuuki episode 4 has been out for a while and I didn't notice. Since the 31st actually.

MKV / AVI

Not quite as fast as Hatsuyuki but I don't feel like switching back and forth:

Episode 5 - Yuurisan-Subs

- - - - - - -

Edit: Ooh... Violence in Kobato. Well, aside from Ioryogi's usual methods of punishing Kobato. I didn't foresee the preschool had so deep troubles that small-time yakuza wannabe thugs would be coming to collect debts. Is it all connected to Fujimoto's troubles as well (troubles that have made him such a negative dude), is another question. It could be the dude is working numerous jobs to try to save the preschool from the mafia loan sharks. I initially thought he simple has his own history.
    Last edited by Kraco; Wed, 11-18-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Baumkuchen:

Episode 6 - Yuurisan-Subs

- - - - - - -

Quite an interesting cake. Though not possible to try at home due to the special equipment required (as was shown also in the episode). Other than the cake, it was a bit darker episode than the ones before, although the night was already falling in the previous episode. I wonder if Ioryogi intends to do even more independently or if he hopes to plan to have Kobato somehow resolve the issue. It doesn't look good in any case. A debt is a debt even if it was a legal scam, and the dude didn't sound like he'd just forget it.

Hatsuyuki 5 480p / 400p
    Hatsuyuki 6 480p / 400p

So if the guy can "shut down" the nursery, then it's a proper, legal loan, even if it was unfair or the details were obscure. Normal thugs would be able to come and yell a bit, maybe even throw some red paint around the place, but to have the rights to shut the place down means having some sort of legal leverage to take over the place if the debt isn't settled.

I'm guessing Ioryogi's true form is more like the one-eyed ferret-like thing that attacked him.

Yeah. I wonder if he was transferred to a stuffed animal body because he, for some reason, decided to stick to Kobato. I guess Kobato is some sort of an outcast or a failure.

The debt must be legal but the process of how it was created must have been shady and anything but fair. I guess the preschool was in need of money for renovations or whatever, and the con man was there suitably to offer a "good" deal to the previous owner who must not have been too money savvy. I wouldn't be surprised if the con man, who is only interested in the land, it seems, would also have tried to frighten parents from bringing their kids to the preschool, ruining their business.

Last edited by Buffalobiian; Tue, 12-08-2009 at 07:53 PM.

To indicate I'm still watching and liking this:

Episode 7 - Yuurisan-Subs
    Episode 8 - Yuurisan-Subs

In terms of the consistency of quality this is one of the better shows this season. I don't really recall a single bad episode or even scene. The characters have also been likable, believable, and interesting enough, provided you didn't have expectations too far off the mark. I also like it when the main character can sing.

Nothing overly much to discuss about in this show, though. Small arcs of single episode don't really privide much fodder for debates and strangely enough the whole kindergarten in jeopardy issue was swept under the carpet in episode 8. Still, I have all the time a feeling something bigger is going to happen in this series. They have even briefly introduced those odd characters with historical connections to Ioryogi. That directly suggests a background that will matter at some point.

Chise and Chiho are a really cute set of characters. I've never seen Chobbits, but that doesn't lower my enjoyment one bit. I have to wonder at what their father looked like though, since they look nothing like their mum.

Talking about "sweeping things under the carpet", I was expecting the girl from earlier to play some part as well - the girl who was also from heaven that is. So far, all that happened was Kobato organising a date to a theme park.