Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    From her bust, I'm guessing she's a few years older. She looked like little Lag's age in the flashback when Gausche left her, but since that was a flashback, there's no telling how long ago it was.

Lag looks like like a 9-year old to me.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

It goes without being said, but, more crying:

[HorribleSubs] Letter Bee - 09 [720p]

-----------------------------------

I think I need to put this in bold because not only did they say it, but they said it twice. I'm not sure if I can believe it.

Lag and Sylvette are the same age.

Eh? She looks at least 5 years older than he is. She's also nearly as tall as he is when she is sitting down!

Incredulity aside, Gauche traded the Nocturne in for a revolver that would shoot his entire heart out and exhaust it if he got complacent with it. Which it sounds like is exactly what happened, perhaps as a result of those cloaked hooded figures lurking about. I'm glad they're starting to bring the conspiracy back in, like with Lag's mother as well.

That's a huge fib. Sylvette looks way too old to be the same age, not to mention the voice.

And Lag is supposed to be 12, considering he was 7 when he met Gauche and this is 5 years later. Sylvette must've have cow genes for a 12 year old to be that well developed.

Call me a lolicon if you want, the cuteness is OVER 9000!

I'm going to pretend Syllvete's sitting around has meant more efficient fat-depositing in the appropriate places. I don't think Lag looks like a 12 year old to begin with (maybe because he's rather roundish). Then again, I see some pretty short 13 year olds from my old highschool walking around the place.

I think I've become somewhat desensitized to Lag's crying and all now. Like last episode, I began to chuckle when Lag started crying during those clips. His last speech hit the right spot though, and I think the music has something to do with that.

Niche, you're cute too, but I am so rooting for a Lag x Syllvete romance. Realistically speaking, I don't see them taking things very far regarding romantic development between Lag and anyone, but one can dream right? She's definitely capable of acting like a motherly figure for Lag in Yussari, so having her make some appearances isn't too much to ask I hope.

I want to hear more from Aria though, since her feelings for Gauche haven't been disclosed much. Even when she was asked to deliver his letter of dismissal she seemed superficially strong/cheerful.

Gauche has a funny habit of calling everyone by calling everyone's name in full bar his sister's.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Mon, 11-30-2009 at 04:22 AM.

Ok Ive seen too much crying for Lag. Every episode he cries. It is time for him to grow up now and stop being such a crybaby. Niche's presence is not enough for me now.

Thanks shinta|hikari for the sig.

I must admit, I'm not satisfied anymore until Lag starts blubbering. Whenever he cries I can't help laughing.

When Lag combines the power of his eye with a weapon like the Nocture, he has incredible power that surpasses most other Bees. It is interesting that the weakest of all Bees has both one of the strongest weapons and undoubtedly the strongest Dingo. Lag is a glass cannon of the highest order. It's only fitting he has Niche then, probably one of the few people/creatures out there that can successfully defend him.

There were two other big hints this episode:

- Lag and Sylvette are born on the same day, which one of the two led to the sun going out? We might think it was Lag from the timing of the comment, but at the same time, the sun going out was perfectly in time with Sylvette's birth. They also mentioned before that both Lag and the two Suede siblings are "albasians" (sp?) for whatever that means. Obviously there must be some significance to that.

- Right at the beginning, Lag commented on the appearance of the Empress. He specifically mentioned that his mother looks similar for some reason to him. His mother was taken away to the capital by high government officials, and any word of her or from her has been suppressed. Was she perhaps taken away to become the current Empress?

I have to say, Gauche's behavior on the Flickering Day was actually really creepy. Makes me think quite differently of him in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    I must admit, I'm not satisfied anymore until Lag starts blubbering. Whenever he cries I can't help laughing.
    Oh, you too? I was beginning to wonder if I'm becoming twisted in the head since I laugh at a crying kid. Guess not. (or at least, not the only one)
    There were two other big hints this episode:

- Lag and Sylvette are born on the same day, which one of the two led to the sun going out? We might think it was Lag from the timing of the comment, but at the same time, the sun going out was perfectly in time with Sylvette's birth. They also mentioned before that both Lag and the two Suede siblings are "albasians" (sp?) for whatever that means. Obviously there must be some significance to that.
    According to Aria, even Gauche was an Albasian also, but there only seems to be one Day of Flickering.

I have to say, Gauche's behavior on the Flickering Day was actually really creepy. Makes me think quite differently of him in fact.
    It made me wonder how broken he was to begin with (begin = before he lost his heart completely). The creepiest part for me was his naming his sister after his mother. The shot of the covered corpse amplified that creepiness.

They HAD to ruin Sylvette's perfect image by making her a crap cook. (on second thoughts, her skills aren't to blame. Immobile legs must have been only ONE of her birth defects.) The question that left me hanging was How on earth does she climb those stairs?

So they revealed that Aria was not only Gauche's date, but also his childhood friend. That puts things in an entirely different perspective. She didn't just lose a lover she had known for a few years (max), then but someone that was pretty much a family member. Her pain should be no less than Sylvette's. She seems a bit more level-headed than Sylvette though, and it shows in how she addresses all this by trying to uncover the truth. I wonder if deep down she's aiming for Head Bee too in order to access higher info.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sat, 12-05-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    According to Aria, even Gauche was an Albasian also, but there only seems to be one Day of Flickering.
    (Clarification Post)

The significance of the three of them being Albasian is less important, but that certainly means something to a select few in the grand scheme of things.

I was more interested in the implication of who caused the sun to flicker. The timing of Lag's comment might have meant that he was the cause (and Aria might have taken it that way), but that doesn't mean that it wasn't Sylvette either, since she was born during the same moments as well.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    i have gone back and forth on this show for some time, but after watching three episodes today (7, 8, 9), i think i finally have some coherent thoughts.

this is one of those rare shows that doesn't have suave or flair. it runs on emotions, remarkably normal ones you can relate to. despite the fact that i am not in love with the garden variety character archetypes that compose this story, i enjoy watching it. i have not been able to figure out what it is, but i think it has something to do with the fact that all the characters are so sincere. even if Lag is an annoying crybaby, he's never being a crybaby to be annoying.

edit - and i cannot stress this last point enough. i think the opposite would be Sasuke from Naruto, the cold loner who the author makes cold because, otherwise, there is no real way to qualify him as a loner. the characteristics need to be products of the character, not the other way around. time and time again i see anime characters fall flat because the creator seems to have forgotten this, or just doesn't know how to put it into play.

i find myself liking even the side characters. maybe i always have been a sucker for the Cold Badass with a decent heart (Zazi). maybe there's something that just can't disagree with a guy who loves his pizza. Even the Director, Aria, and Sylvette.

the music in this show goes a long way, and i particularly like that they don't overdo it. there are plenty of moments of relative silence, and it fits the setting.

the one thing i constantly find ridiculous about this show are the names. it's like a painter who has all the creativity and talent to craft beautiful portraits, but can't for the life of him, figure out what to call them. seriously, these names are absurd.

no 12 year old has any business looking as fully developed as Sylvette does, especially not a cripple behind on her rent payments.

the one character i do not like in this show is Niche, with her constant refrain of "Lag's Dingo" this and that. i understand she has to be there to counter Lag's heartfelt depth (or this would just turn into an angst-fest), but i find her extremely annoying none the less. i don't mind her sexually charged thing about licking. i can even stomach the pantsu gags/theme. but the "Lag's Dingo" thing makes me furious every time they return to it, which is at least twice an episode, it seems...

i have not watched episode 10 yet, as there is just something in me that will not allow me to download anything from a group that calls itself Horrible... do they actually live up to that name?
    Last edited by masamuneehs; Sun, 12-06-2009 at 08:24 AM.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs

the one character i do not like in this show is Niche, with her constant refrain of "Lag's Dingo" this and that. i understand she has to be there to counter Lag's heartfelt depth (or this would just turn into an angst-fest), but i find her extremely annoying none the less. i don't mind her sexually charged thing about licking. i can even stomach the pantsu gags/theme. but the "Lag's Dingo" thing makes me furious every time they return to it, which is at least twice an episode, it seems...
    Then rejoice masa. "Lag's Dingo" does not make an appearance in episode 10

i have not watched episode 10 yet, as there is just something in me that will not allow me to download anything from a group that calls itself Horrible... do they actually live up to that name?
    All [Horriblesubs] are rips from Crunchyroll. They don't do any actual translating, hence "horrible" is referring to said website's work.

@Ryll: Thanks for the clarification.

OP Single

HorribleSubs - Episode 11

---------------------------------

I can't say no to fanservice, especially openly complaining about details like this. (How's your nosebleed holding up shinta?)

Moc's a bit of an ass, but he's got some slick moves, so I'd still like to see more of him. Hopefully we'll continue to see a greater variety of Bees, how they work, and how their beliefs stack up to and change Lag's. If anything however, it'll likely be the opposite.

Now if only we got to see Syllvette wearing her own apparel. Alas, she is no Kiyama Harumi.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sat, 12-12-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    the one character i do not like in this show is Niche, with her constant refrain of "Lag's Dingo" this and that.
    It helps a bit to tolerate Niche if you keep in mind she's a monster, not a person. At least it helps me.

Her rather indelicately forcing Steak's mouth open and fishing around inside with blades for whatever she tossed in there certainly helps with viewing her a something not human.

If you keep reminding yourself that her arms underneath those pink mitten-sleeves are spiky and furry helps too. A really bad case of Kanbaru Arms.

It is a Christmas episode, tears are guaranteed. Also, children with insect eyes.

[HorribleSubs] Letter Bee - 12 [720p]

---------------------------------

This episode was pretty funny given that the past episodes have been focusing on more sad events. Sonja was really cute despite her creepy eyes, and Zazie was really the star of this episode. Between his complaining and his secret displays of being nice he makes for an interesting character. That and his shindan are formed of pure hatred. I imagine it would actually be a good thing in the long run for him to empty his heart of that, but it is more likely that he has an endless supply given the flashback they showed about his own parents.

Also, Aria in uniform is the hottest. And like Sylvette, she also knows how to deal with Niche.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Mon, 12-21-2009 at 04:48 PM.

It was cute seeing Niche comforting Wasiolka back.

Lag completely cracked me up again, this time, and this time my reaction was right on cue at the first sight of his tears. This is turning into a recurrent comedy gag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryll
    Sonja was really cute despite her creepy eyes
    Creepy eyes indeed. When the villager warned Zazie to stay away from her, his refusal to eat the dinner made me think she may be some cannibalistic maniac who drugs them and does whatever her mind fancies. But in the end my initial impressions were right, and the villagers were just ignorant assholes.

HorribleSubs - Episode 13

----------------------

Guess Letter Bees have yet to adopt (or enforce) a formal privacy statement, with Lag blurting out his job status and recipient information on the fly. I suppose it's probably more his newbie and simple mindset as I can't really see it applying to all bees. (Well, maybe Connor)

I can't be sure whether Lag's "I'm a newbie" confession was more to restrict his own actions and salvage some professionalism, or whether he noticed that in 2 seconds Niche might have well torn up the envelope in curiosity.

Funnily enough, he acted correctly when the sender fellow requested his letter back. Though, after his "Robbery?!" comment, I couldn't help but laugh when he later points a gun at him and says "Come with me".

The couple got enough development to make their reunion feel sweet.

This Corpse Doctor looks really interesting though. Steak shows some pitiable expressions in the preview, and that's always a good sign.

One thing I'd like to see in this series perhaps may be a rival of sorts. Gauche is always Lag's target, but perhaps he needs something more immediate to challenge himself with as a Letter Bee. Moc did that somewhat, but his snake is hardly a match for Niche.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Mon, 12-28-2009 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    Lag completely cracked me up again, this time, and this time my reaction was right on cue at the first sight of his tears. This is turning into a recurrent comedy gag.
    They indeed do it excellently. I start to laugh every time he starts to cry. In complete seriousness it takes no small skill from the author and director to be able to pull that off. Normally the main character crying in every episode for every little thing would be beyond annoying but for some mysterious reason it's pure comedy in this series.

Considering Niche I'm happy she's that much nonhuman. She doesn't have similar troubles with morals and ethics or manners and chastity. She's a much more successful character than many far more beast looking but talking things in great many other shows.

[HorribleSubs] Letter Bee 14

----------------------------

This was one of the best episodes of the show so far, even considering how good some of the others have been.

New OP/ED, both good, but I liked the first two a bit more.

One of the funnier episodes in a while. Niche getting angry not because he kidnapped their companion, but because he was stealing her food. Steak potentially being a prince among his kind, finally explaining the mustache on his face. Steak started to sweat a bit when the doctor said that, so it is probably true.

Aria is totally hot. I never noticed the strings around her one ankle before. Everything about her oozes class and sexiness. I am a bit curious now about how she fought off gaichu when she was a Bee and not the sub-master. Did she play it and drive them off calmly?

...and I didn't forget, Lag cried right at the end. ^_^