Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nyan Koi!

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar

Nyan Koi!

Genres: comedy, romance

Plot Summary: Junpei Kōsaka is a second-year high school student who despises cats and has an allergy to them. It just so happens that his high school crush is Kaede Mizuno, a girl who adores cats. One day, while walking home from school, Junpei kicks an empty can and unfortunately beans the local neko-jizō-sama (guardian deity of cats). He finds he can now understand what cats are saying, including his family's own ill-tempered cat, Nyamusasu. However, if he does not grant 100 wishes from cats, he will turn into cat himself. -ANN

Links: ANN, AniDB, Official Site

gg - Episode 01

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I had a good laugh from this episode, so I'll be keeping up with this series. I always thought of Junpei as a delinquent from his looks, but he's actually a pretty nice guy (aside from his outbursts of the cats talking to him).
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

It was better than I expected. I wasn't expecting the cats to have such a consistent and solid role but rather the series to go quickly through lots of cases. Better this way of course.

I'm not sure I'd have even recognized Jun Fukuyama as the shrine's cat if I hadn't beforehand checked out the voice cast. He has two quite distinct modes in voice acting, the Lelouch/Lawrence one and then the one evident in this show. I recognize better the former one.

That was a lot more funny and interesting than I expected.

The first episode was good fun. I'll try to keep up with this series. I'm a cat guy so that may also have something to do with it.

Did anyone else have trouble with the gg HD version? Seemed like it slows down/hangs at the title of the episode, right after the opening. It then fast forwards until getting back in sync. If I skip that part (episode title), the episode plays fine though.

It made me smile, then laugh.
    And the cat's VA is exceptionnally awesome ( The Major : GITS)

Blog Entries
    Wow.... talk about retarded settings

I'll give it a try, but i'm not expecting much

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    First off, i watched Himitsu's release, since I was figuring, why the fuck not? Font was legible, translation was accurate (did have one issue. did anyone else who saw the other release have the main's friends calling him a "mommy's boy" when he first told them about his hearing cats?). They had karaoke too. they even had a useful translator note right after the OP (and a generally useful one at the end, just explaining standard anime terms like Tama's 'onee-san'), in the space where they do the verbal sponsor advertising. naturally, it referenced something that happened later in the episode, but it was nice to see a translation note done that way, as it makes a ton of sense, especially if it's not going to spoil anything. they also color coded the font used for each main cat, which i thought was a real nice touch.

caught totally off guard by the first cat speaking in the very first scene before the OP. figured they'd save that for the commercial break, make it a little more dramatic or humorous. but, well

my, that OP just about sums up the 'niche harem' feel that i expected. but seems the main's got his heart set on one particular girl...

lot of the standard anime tropes. the main's characters are just about the spitting image of "those two guys". shameless expositional explanation. but it was a pretty enjoyable, and surprisingly competent, intro episode. was surprised by the girl turning out to be the accidental cat-abuser. nice twist, even if it is done alot

one of the things i liked is how they kept doing sudden shifts from 'strange, funky anime culture' to normal Japanese. Juunbei shouting to himself in the library, then immediately apologizing for the racket, and the coffee-stain apology (even if it was a setup? but, why? ). those two scenes stood out. i don't see that often in a show.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by Keno
    Did anyone else have trouble with the gg HD version? Seemed like it slows down/hangs at the title of the episode, right after the opening. It then fast forwards until getting back in sync. If I skip that part (episode title), the episode plays fine though.
    That happened to me as well. Loved the cat-radar.

Yeah, I ran into that problem as well. It wouldn't play properly in vlc or mpc, so I'm going to give this Frostii 720p release a try.

[Frostii]​ Nyan​ Koi​ -​ 01​ [213A3BB3].mkv

I don't really mind since I end up skipping the OP more often than not these days anyway, but I'll definitely consider Frostii for archiving if gg's release keeps having this problem. Too bad I can't rely on the former for a timely release each week.

Hmm, I didn't have any problems with the HD version.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadouku
    Hmm, I didn't have any problems with the HD version.
    Really? After the OP, the picture will still be on the title slide while the sound is already talking about the weather.

It's definitely not due to a lack of processing power.

It seems that the gg slow down is caused by the subtitles. I disabled the subtitle stream and it played smoothly.

I think I'll also give Frostii a go. Didn't like the cutesy font Himitsu used.

EDIT: BTW, the gg stuttering happened to me ONLY at the title screen after the opening. The rest of the episode played flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Really? After the OP, the picture will still be on the title slide while the sound is already talking about the weather.
    It was actually quite consistent throughout the episode for me, although if I turn the Saturation up, it starts to delay; however, it's not as bad as you've described it.

Blog Entries
    I liked the first episode, i'll be watching this

By the way, has anyone here ever watched "100 deeds for Eddie McDowd" ?

I've always had a soft spot for Ryoko Shiraishi voiced tomboys. A lot of people probably associate her with Hayate the Combat Butler, but she'll always be Chiaki from Tenjou Tenge to me. (Rin from Airantou and Kaede from Negima too). That said, Kanako is probably my favorite for now, she's cutely possessive of Kosaka.

I wasn't planning on watching this, but the humor is pretty good.

Blog Entries
    That was a total cliché episode, i could have told you exactly how it was gonna end the moment "childhood friend" popped up, but it was still pretty entertaining with great animation and humor.

Just one thing, what exactly is a mamba?

"Manba involves devotees wearing dark tans, white make-up around their eyes and hair that is often a combination of neon colours. Manba in Japan is also known as ganguro, gonguro, yamamba and mamba." BBC

You've probably seen most characters that use it referred to as ganguro or Kogals, though the latter is more specific and loosely ties into ganguro. Trashy looking girls with badly dyed hair, excessive tans, or outright use of blackface. Mamba or Manba is a subset as well, just the one that takes it to excess.