Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book: The Dresden Files

Book: The Dresden Files

I just read the first 3 books of this series (Storm Front, Fool Moon, Grave Peril) over the weekend, and I thought they were really good... written by Jim Butcher. I know at least one person here reads this series, so who else reads them?

I really like Harry as a narrator, particularly because he's quite funny and you know that by the end of the book, you'll start wondering how the heck the guy isn't crippled already. He always ends up completely beat up and messed up.

I saw the tv series a couple of years ago, but I think the novel is much better. I saw that some of the characters where changed quite a bit.

If anyone is interested, http://www.bookdepository.com/ has the books at a pretty good price, most of them 50% off if you don't have access to them through your local library or to some used books.

Anyways, cool story so far. Fast pace, a quick read, funny, and can get violent. Some good characters a dialogue too. Urban fantasy.

My favorite part so far is when Harry goes to Bianca's party in a vampire costume... I really laughed my ass off in that part.

So who else reads it? And if you do, I would appreciate it if you would refrain from spoiling until I've caught up. I hope to catch up within a month or two.

Elven books are out at the moment, with the twelth one coming out next year. I hear the series gets better by the book.

From Storm Front, the first novel:

Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he's the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the "everyday" world is actually full of strange and magical things -- and most of them don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a -- well, whatever.

There's just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name. And that's when things start to get... interesting.

Magic. It can get a guy killed.
    http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/

I think Yuki likes this series, I haven't gotten around to it yet
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    I think Yuki likes this series, I haven't gotten around to it yet
    Yep, he's the one that recommended it. Go read it, seems like something you might enjoy.
    Last edited by Munsu; Mon, 09-21-2009 at 09:24 PM.

I actually read the first few pages, but I didn't get into it. I'll try again!

You have to read more than the first few pages Sapphi Harry is awesome, he gets his ass kicked and runs out of juice pretty much every single book and has to earn his victories through grit and wits instead of just getting power up handouts like certain other characters.

Oh reaaaaaaalllyy. Tell me more..

Best set of books i have read in my life, can't wait for the 12th

if you like the writhing style you should also read Codex Alera from Jim Buther pretty good book 5/6 of them are out

Well, just finished all the books that are out, and I have to say that I really have been enjoying this series... I might dare to say that is the series I've found most enjoyable from what I've read... although it hasn't been much (probably followed by Shadows of the Apt).

If you like this series, I'm going to recommend Child of Fire, which I also just finished reading, by a new author called Harry Connolly... it's the first of a series called Twenty Palaces:
    http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9.../Child-of-Fire

Anyways, the next book for Dresden is called Changes and it should come out next April. Can't wait.

Well, I just put Changes on pre-order.

One interesting thing I failed to notice was how each book title in this series is composed of two words of the same number of letters. This new book is promising to be a game changer in the series, and by the same token has deviated from the established book title patter by only having a single word... and it's called "Changes" to boot. So really looking forward to what Butcher does here.

Also worth noting that Jim Butcher recently released the final book of his other series Codex Alera. Interested in what he'll be doing next... more focus on Dresden? Start a new series? What he has done for the last 6 years or so has been quite impressive with the output of novels, and each novel of both series has improved from the previous one, so he hasn't missed a step.

Never noticed the 2 words same number of letters, but it can't be a coincidence 11 times in a row ^^

Don't know if you read the first the first sentence of Changes he has on his website, but yeah it sound like something bad and personal is going to happen

Doubt he will change the pace of Dresden series, and afaik there will be at least 20 books, so yeah another series is not out of the question but probably not in 2010

And yeah he works like crazy, in addition to the books there are 9 short stories and 1 novelette in the Dresden universe with 3 more short stories unreleased

Just 2 more months, can't wait

Supposedly he'll be releasing an anthology with all his Dresden short-stories collected later on this year or something. Will be a good chance to check those out since I haven't:
    http://jim-butcher.com/dresden/short/

And no, I haven't seen the first line of Changes. Can you link me to it?

Edit: Never mind, I found it and had seen it already.

By the way, go try the Vlad Taltos series from Brust... it might be something you enjoy.
    Last edited by Munsu; Wed, 01-20-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Just a reminder, Changes is coming out in a couple of weeks. For those that are interested on a sneak-peek, the first 3 chapters have been posted here:
    http://jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/12/fullpreview.php

The 4th should be posted next Tuesday if not mistaken.

I'm reading them tonight, but please if anyone reads them don't put any spoilers here until the book is out, etc.

Munsu, give me incentive to pick up this series...

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    Munsu, give me incentive to pick up this series...
    Don't know what to say... easy quick reads, funny, plenty of action, and it gets better by the book (which is a rarirty). And Harry kicks ass.

I'm halfway through my reread of White Night in my effort to reread the entire series before Changes comes out. Such good times. Curse you for posting links to the first chapters Bud now i'm extremely tempted to read them early!!!!

Well, I was tempted and completely sinned. Since the book is coming out soon it shouldn't really matter one way or the other, but after being without Dresden for a bit now I needed to say "Hi".

I'm in the middle of the last book in Butcher's other series the Codex Alera and it is equally good. I like the excellent dialog between Dresden and the side characters like Marconi and fortunately that same style permeates the Alera series as well.

If you like Dresden then I'd recommend that too.

I wouldn't go as far as say "equally good", and certainly I wouldn't recommend it for Dresden fans since they're quite different, but if you like Butcher it's certainly worth the look. The first book is weak though, but as with Dresden the series gets better by the book.

I'm still waiting for the last book to arrive, which should be on May.

For those that like Dresden, I think you might enjoy the Steven Brust series, Vlad Taltos... it has the same type of fun Dresden has. Though I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Sorry for the double post, but chapter 4 is now up. Read it, and it was pretty awesome. Can't wait for Changes to come.
    Last edited by Munsu; Mon, 04-05-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Just got notified that my book is being shipped, from Amazon. By the way, the price seems to have dropped there to $9.99 plus shipping.

just finished "reading" Changes.. don't want to post any spoilers yet but boy did the title do the book justice

and don't if its because i have hyped the book the book in my mind before reading it so much or because i have read some good books in between, but it seemed over the top and not as good as the previous books for me

and the ending... oh the ending... don't think there has ever been such a cliffhanger ending... now another year of waiting

and btw. the closes book / series i came across that has a Dresden like vibe (the main char is a female Dresden if you ask me) is the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews... and a shame i can't find Vlad Taltos on audiobook form