Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dattebayo is back to business

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    Does Dattebayo actually translate to "believe it", or is it something completely different, maybe even meaningless?

I believe it has no direct translation... It is just meant to add great emphasis on what he says.

For example, if he says "I'm gonna beat you" but adds "dattebayo" to it. It becomes something more along the lines of "I'm gonna punch through your gut, rip out your hard shit filled intestines, tie them into nun chucks and beat you to death with them" (Slight exaggeration)

And pardon my French (AKA homosexuality)

Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    The young Naruto was supposed to be understood as an uneducated and dumb ninja.

There is no one word "dattebayo". It is just "datte" with the '-bayo' suffix. Sometimes Naruto would ask, "Nandattebayo?!", which is just "nanda" with the '-ttebayo' suffix. You're best off thinking of it as a plain superlative, like LittleMchale said.

This sort of thing has a root in poetry (adding nonsense but superlative or negative sounding syllables to fit a rhythm). Supposedly, the lower class Yakuza members go around saying -ttebayo all the time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    I wonder if the -bayo gets annoying for the japanese too. Personally i rarely notice it anymore but then again i focus more on the subtitles then the voice acting
    He doesn't do it anymore.
    "After all, I am strangely colored."