Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Naruto Shippuuden Episode 123

Seems like some of your are clumping "art" and "animation" as the same thing. If you don't like the art style that's fine, but anyone saying the actual *animation* was bad needs to have their eyes examined asap.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    But this fight was NOT one of those fights. It has the same art style as those fights, but NONE of the amazing animation from those fights. It's like they wanted to make you think it was that animator doing this fight, but then it's a fake-out, because there wasn't the fluid motion.
    what?

no it looked the same (or similiar) and it had the same (or even better) quality
    and no, I'm not being sarcastic.

edit:
    but anyone saying the actual *animation* was bad needs to have their eyes examined asap.
    yup

seriously, you guys must be kidding me, the movements etc were probably (I might go too far by saying that) the most realistic so far...
    Sasuke looked really cool for the first time, too

some details or lets say "moments" i liked were when he was checking his surroundings a few times
    for example when he got pushed back by the 2 clay golems after the first one splitted into 2 halfs and so on
    you could really tell that they are planning what to do next, or how to react.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Wed, 08-26-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arondruiz
    Seems like some of your are clumping "art" and "animation" as the same thing. If you don't like the art style that's fine, but anyone saying the actual *animation* was bad needs to have their eyes examined asap.
    Well what I meant by this episodes animation being kick ass and the art being lame is that even though the characters looked flat and weren't very detailed, the actual animation itself was really well done. It's quick and simple. Although if you're comparing it to episode 85 which I also think is very similar, then I agree that the art was better in 85 than in this one. However, personally, I like this episodes overall look. Animation and art. Episode 85 had too much detail in everyone's faces and fighting. It doesn't come off as the animators working hard so much as it just not going well. You don't need details in the characters if the animation is top notch. You can't play with the animation and make things fast and bouncy like 123 was. Sasuke's fighting was much faster than when kakashi and hidan were flying around fighting each other.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chancellor
    You don't need details in the characters if the animation is top notch. You can't play with the animation and make things fast and bouncy like 123 was. Sasuke's fighting was much faster than when kakashi and hidan were flying around fighting each other.
    You obviously never watched the Birdy season 2 aired episodes...

When I watched this episode I surely noticed the studio was cutting corners extra deep with shadows and other details, but to be entirely frank this is Naruto so I'm more or less used to vast differences between episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33
    some details or lets say "moments" i liked were when he was checking his surroundings a few times
    for example when he got pushed back by the 2 clay golems after the first one splitted into 2 halfs and so on
    you could really tell that they are planning what to do next, or how to react.
    I'm gonna have to chalk it up to the lack of any taijutsu in this fight then, as for me, one of the cornerstones of that guy's animation style is when the two characters get into hand to hand/melee combat, and they're swirling around each other. Those are always the parts that look the most amazing.

As there was none of that going on in this fight, there wasn't much of an opportunity to show of any really great animation. It's just a bunch of sasuke and Diedara floating around.

Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arondruiz
    Maybe it's just me, but I can clearly see the still frames, and the stuttering and fake looking motion blur. There was better animation in the original Naruto.
    "After all, I am strangely colored."

Quote Originally Posted by redcat
    there were shadows, but faces didn't have much of them, usually just from hair. the shape of their face didn't seem to cause any shadows, making them look really flat.
    Maybe its in homage to Deidara. Remember, his style is Superflat

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnder
    I'm gonna have to chalk it up to the lack of any taijutsu in this fight then, as for me, one of the cornerstones of that guy's animation style is when the two characters get into hand to hand/melee combat, and they're swirling around each other. Those are always the parts that look the most amazing.
    I agree but that doesn't mean that other things aren't as good. I mean most of the time it's hard and edged. Things weren't as flowing. Even if you look back over the past episodes he's been involved in, the smoke looks different from episodes that he didn't work on. I think Naruto is really returning to it's former glory. This episode was hopeful then, went down hill for me after I watched 124.

Personally, he needs to be hired to keep this work up. Going back to old style just makes me want to skip until he works on the next one. It's kind of a slap in the face to not have him work on all of the series.

By the way the episodes he's worked on have been 30, 48, 71, and 133 in the first Naruto series and 85 & 123 in this shippuden.

I will say that the explosions looked really good.

And given the fight, maybe that's the most important thing...

Yes. Anytime he draws smoke or something blowing up, it's normally worth throwing roses at for an encore. It's just his style. So good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    You obviously never watched the Birdy season 2 aired episodes...

When I watched this episode I surely noticed the studio was cutting corners extra deep with shadows and other details, but to be entirely frank this is Naruto so I'm more or less used to vast differences between episodes.
    I'm glad you say that you're used to it because I watched some of the episodes that you're talking about and he's just great at anything. I saw no problems. I'll watch a little more, but his style is instantly noticeable. I want to see him even animate Luffy in some Op to see how that would look. I really don't know what problem you guys have with his animation style. It's better than 90% of the other Naruto crap we have to bear through.