Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manga: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    I don't think a whole lot of people (on the good side) aside from Subaru and Ginga displayed unarmed martial arts in Strikers, or did they?
    But as it is, the all-girls party is getting kind of boring.
    Nanoha series are known for being all-girls parties, so I disagree there. That is what Nanoha Force is for.

Zafira (the Belkan Knight's familiar) used unarmed combat abilities during StrikerS, though his primary role is support. Eariler in A's, the cat twins (though they were "bad") used unarmed combat too. They fought more like Sankt Kaiser Vivio though, using magic attacks from their bare hands. They were familiars too. I don't remember Arf's combat style too much, she was far more invested in support.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    Nanoha series are known for being all-girls parties, so I disagree there. That is what Nanoha Force is for.
    Yeah, unfortunately I know that only too well. But I can't help it. Even Erio made me so glad in Strikers despite the fact he was a little runt not good for anything really. A fight is a fight no matter if it's a man or a woman but outside of fights mixing bother sexes somehow creates better dynamics in my opinion. Different kinds of tensions, disruptions, and behaviors (in a plot wise positive manner).

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Onemanga - Chapter 10

This manga's monthly!?

--------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    I don't think a whole lot of people (on the good side) aside from Subaru and Ginga displayed unarmed martial arts in Strikers, or did they? Quite a few can fight nicely with some sort of a weapon, though (still melee), so if Einhart doesn't have problems with that, she would have lots of people to train with. In fact it would be better that way since it would give quite a bit of variation. Actually I'd like Erio to fight her - though I wouldn't like him to lose. I have no idea how well he fights without magic (did he ever train with Signum, or am I remembering some doujin?). But as it is, the all-girls party is getting kind of boring.
    Erio trained with Signum in StrikerS for a little while. I wonder how his style's developed, since he always looked funny. He's always flying with his spear like it's a rocket, which limited him so literally spearing oponents and not much of anything else. From a realistic point of view, it's weird how he can maintain a certain direction and stuff yet swing his spear when its booster is going at full blast.

My favourite scene of him was when he dashed up the escalator to grope save Caro in StrikerS ep1 or 2.

-----

I echo Ryll's comments about Lutecia. She's much more talkative. She even teases people now.

I'm having the most amount of trouble telling Subaru and Nove apart, but since we're mostly seeing Nove, it's less of a problem. The one that gets me the most is Teena. Since she's hanging out with the cyborgs, I automatically assume she's Ginga 90% of the time.

I also laughed a bit when they mentioned Einhart was heterochromatic. Like we could tell.

And I have a hard time adjusting to seeing her hair as a shade of green. For some reason she reminds me of Felli Loss (Chrome Shelled Regios) that I always see her hair as pink.

I remember how.. sad I was when Fate grew up and lost some screentime in StrikerS, but now that the protagonist is Vivio, I can't complain. He cuteness makes up for it 100%.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I have to say, nicely balanced teams indeed. Can't wait for it.

Very entertaining chapter for obvious reasons, and naturally my only complaint is that Nanoha and Fate didn't go for a bath with them. Perhaps they intend on having a "private" one elsewhere - kukuku.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I'm having the most amount of trouble telling Subaru and Nove apart, but since we're mostly seeing Nove, it's less of a problem.
    After careful observation, there is an easy way to tell the two apart. It was more difficult before because they shaded the hair colors the same (less of a problem now). Still, this trick has held true through the series.

Nove's ahoge goes forward. Subaru's ahoge goes backward.
    ----------------------------------

I noticed that neither of the teams have Erio on them. He never gets a chance to show off. Poor guy.

I just hope Vivio is able to use magic against Einhart now. We haven't seen her use it at all in the series. I don't think she can beat Einhart straight up in hand to hand combat. Add in some thrown projectile magic, and she can probably win. Vivio also used close combat blasts more like Subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    After careful observation, there is an easy way to tell the two apart. It was more difficult before because they shaded the hair colors the same (less of a problem now). Still, this trick has held true through the series.

Nove's ahoge goes forward. Subaru's ahoge goes backward.
    ----------------------------------
    Ah. I must remember that.

I noticed that neither of the teams have Erio on them. He never gets a chance to show off. Poor guy.
    He's the Guard Wing(?) in Nanoha's team, facing off against Fate.

Indeed he is. And Caro is in the opposite team! No way those two could fight against each other even if they happened to meet face to face... Well, it's just like Nanoha to break them up.

[Erio]'s the Guard Wing(?) in Nanoha's team, facing off against Fate.
    Hmm, for some reason I thought that was Dieci, but apparently during the bath scene I got her mixed up with Caro...I blame Nove-Subaru Ahoge tunnel vision.

I don't remember Caro having a long ponytail like Dieci before, and I didn't notice it until now. She even has the bow.

Memory 12: The match begins!

MT | Onemanga

---------------------------------------------

- Wing Guard (Erio & Fate) have more health than Center Guard (Nanoha & Teana)? I'd understand Erio vs Teana, but Nanoha having less HP than Fate is a bit eye-boggling. Guess these points are tied to their positions more than anything though. After all, if they were based on real attributes it may be unbalanced.

- One of my dislikes with manga as a medium is how difficult it is to make out action scenes sometimes. Exactly what happened in that scene where Vivio said "whoops"? Did she slip, or did her kick miss? Was that Einhart moving in for the opening too? :S

Vivio's first couple of magical attacks were nicely done. It really shows that she's both a Strike Arts practitioner and magician in one.

-Corona's summon was unexpected and pretty cool. Huge golem that even has armour, you can't go wrong with that.

-And of course, "to be continued" is placed right where Fate's fight would have been.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Mon, 05-24-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: character name confusion fix

- One of my dislikes with manga as a medium is how difficult it is to make out action scenes sometimes. Exactly what happened in that scene where Vivio said "whoops"? Did she slip, or did her kick miss? Was that Einhart moving in for the opening too? :S

Vivio's first couple of magical attacks were nicely done. It really shows that she's both a Strike Arts practitioner and magician in one.

-Corona's summon was unexpected and pretty cool. Huge golem that even has armour, you can't go wrong with that.
    For me, Corona having a summon was obvious when Lutecia was discussing creating her device in the previous chapters. She's probably the only one qualified to create a device for an up and coming summoner. It being that big was another matter entirely...

I wonder if it has some sentience of its own like Garyuu and 'Fried or if it is very much the golem it appears to be. That aside, it should be interesting to see if Lio's destructive potential can counter Corona's defense.

Einhart got Vivio with a leg sweep, hence the "oops," remark. Vivio left herself wide open for kicks when she was off-balance from her own kick that Einhart blocked.

As we saw in the Strikers anime, Vivio is a composite of all the people who influenced her during the J.S. Incident. Her barrier jacket takes its cues from Nanoha (the jacket), Fate (the bodysuit), Subaru (the leg plates), Ginga (the midriff), and even some influence from the Numbers.

She also fights the same way. She uses Subaru's Divine Buster and mid-combat binds that are Fate and Nanoha's specialties. The leap to attack from above was a staple of Nanoha versus Fate, who used it on each other all the time. Obviously being a practicioner of Strike Arts, she borrows the most from Subaru and Nove. The only thing that Vivio lacks from Einhart's evaluation is that she is far too straight-forward. The jump-to-Divine Buster almost caught her, but Einhart easily deflected Vivio's other attacks, and her 'Cyclonic Wave' will probably hit Vivio hard because Vivio is going to end up running straight into it.

The other matchup I'm most interested in is Nanoha versus Teana. Teana mentioned that if she really wanted to, Nanoha could destroy the entire team in a single attack. But the one thing that hurts Nanoha is that she uses a lot of charge time. Her attacks are overwhelmingly devastating, but they take some time to gather/generate the energy she needs. Teana has a distinct advantage there, because as we saw in Strikers, Teana specializes in the "sharpness" of her shots. She is weak in terms of overall magical power, but she can manipulate the energy she uses better than anyone else in the franchise. Teana only has to hit Nanoha's charging attacks and all the energy will blow up right in Nanoha's face (as Teana did to Wendi in StrikerS). Between Nanoha's utility powers and harrassment shots and Teana's illusions and "sharp" shots, it should be a very thrilling fight.

Fate and Erio is just speed versus speed as far as I'm concerned, and Lutecia and Caro is a repeat of their face off in StrikerS. Same goes for Subaru and Nove, they are more or less clones...

I still maintain this whole battle would be more interesting if the captains had decided to use more evil, or efficient and intelligent, tactics. Placing the equal positions against each other only makes sense if they started the whole thing face to face and thus there was no choice in order to avoid an early annihilation. Otherwise the art of war would speak against it. With some diversions it should have been possible to knock some weaker members of the opposing team out early in unequal fights.

But maybe it's like Ryll said in irc: The team that wins the early equal fights stands a much better chance to win the whole battle. So, if you trust your luck (or skills, bleh) in the beginning, you can reasonably expect to win the whole thing.

Then again, I suppose winning the battle isn't really the main priority but getting some hands-on experience. The older folks of course already have plenty of that from the real deal but that's all the more reason to allow the kids to fight honourably.

Anyway, it was interesting to see Einhart isn't totally oblivious to magic, even if she can't use it like somebody raised by Nanoha and Fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Anyway, it was interesting to see Einhart isn't totally oblivious to magic, even if she can't use it like somebody raised by Nanoha and Fate.
    I'm less certain of that. We didn't see the her Kaiser Arts ability activate. It was a counter to Vivio's 'Sonic Shooter' (iridescent balls of energy, similar to Fate in the first anime). The 'Cyclonic Wave' could be a magical attack similar to the Subaru Divine Buster, or it could be a physical strike that doesn't use magic.

Without seeing it, I'm not ready to say we've seen her use magic.

Fate and Erio is just speed versus speed as far as I'm concerned,

but ... Sonic Form Fate..

I wholeheartedly agree with you that Teena vs Nanoha is the most interesting of all the matchups.

I'm less certain of that. We didn't see the her Kaiser Arts ability activate. It was a counter to Vivio's 'Sonic Shooter' (iridescent balls of energy, similar to Fate in the first anime). The 'Cyclonic Wave' could be a magical attack similar to the Subaru Divine Buster, or it could be a physical strike that doesn't use magic.

Without seeing it, I'm not ready to say we've seen her use magic.
    I chose my words somewhat poorly. I didn't mean she's completely unable to use magic, just that she's probably not going to be relying on it as much as Nanoha and Fate use it all the time or how much Vivio likely is going to be using it having been raised by those two, even if she's also deeply vested with strike arts as well.

And furthermore, I mean projectile magic, binds and such, not empowering her punches and kicks with it, which is more or less given, I'd reckon.

Chapters 13 - 16 available from Mangafox

edit: changed "chap 17" to "16". Sorry to disappoint.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Mon, 09-27-2010 at 06:12 AM.

When it rains, it pours, eh? The series was dead for a long time, then that Payapaya Scans group appeared out of nowhere promising to scanlate Vivid and released chapter 16 to get it started. Yet now Mangafox got all the missing chapters from an Anonymous source?

OMG.. Sonic Form!!! I never thought I'd get to see that again ~<3<3

(edit: and the battle-damaged version?! /nosebleed)

Interestingly, Fate sported her non-twintail hairstyle in all depictions of Sonic Form.

I have to say that only a draw could have been a "satisfying" ending in order to not take sides and anger any one particular character fanbase, but they managed it rather well by including those tactics. At least it wasn't a completely boring even duke-out.

Even after all this time, I can still not imagine Einhart being any colour other than pink.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Mon, 09-27-2010 at 08:42 AM.

I think I'll wait for that new group, at least for a while. Mangafox's greatest strength seems to be abysmal image quality. I'm no purist but even I have some standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    I think I'll wait for that new group, at least for a while. Mangafox's greatest strength seems to be abysmal image quality. I'm no purist but even I have some standards.
    Is this opinion made from prior experience, or made after sampling the latest chapters posted above?

Just wanting to see where your quality standard lay. I personally thought the image quality didn't hinder my enjoyment at all, and I don't read enough to know whether it's bad or not.