Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Piece Chapter 550

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    Oh, hey...
    I found another interesting thing:

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/301/16/
    Looking being all GW Sherlock on us. That is interesting. And normally when Oda has them talking suspiciously over their shoulders like that, it means that said character knows a lot about that topic.

Blog Entries
    There were alot of maybes there Assertn, not much reliable information

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    There were alot of maybes there Assertn, not much reliable information
    Are you suggesting Oda threw that in there for no reason?
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Blog Entries
    Are you suggesting Oda threw that in there for no reason?
    Far from me to question Oda's brilliant design ( i'm not being sarcastic, he's that good ), but i don't think we can count every single supposition made by the character as some sort of premonition for the future of the story

Besides, wouldn't the fact that they are unrelated make it look like Luffy really deserved the title instead of something he inherited?

Evidence isn't necessary as an element of foreshadowing in a story...

Even a hawk grabbing a snake and flying into the sky can be foreshadowing of the outcome between Sasuke vs Orochimaru, for example.

We already know the "Will of D" is some sort of connection between people whose initial is D. I don't think it would hurt the story if he was related in some way. It didn't hurt the story when we found out Dragon and Garp were related to Luffy.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    We already know the "Will of D" is some sort of connection between people whose initial is D. I don't think it would hurt the story if he was related in some way. It didn't hurt the story when we found out Dragon and Garp were related to Luffy.
    Having Luffy and Roger be related in any way shape or form would be lame and generic, and i highly doubt Oda will do that, next time you know we`ll see a fairy of unknown sex telling Luffy he is the "Destiny Child!!!!111oneoneone" Luffy`s place in the One Piece world is high enough as it is, his relationship with Shanks, Ace (thus whitebeard), Hancock, Jimbei, Dragon, Silver and Garp is more than enough. The only foreshadowing i personally accept is the ambigious statement that Luffy and Roger look alike PERSONALLITY wise made by several members that met them both as a foreshadow that Luffy will become Pirate King.

Having everyone with the D initial as family makes even less sense, then we would`ve been left to beleive Luffy and Ace are family, and then they`re not and then they are. Plus Roger would`ve had incest with her sister/cousin/whatever, remember, her name was Portgas D. Rogue.

In my opinion the initial "D" only refers to people with a strong soul/conviction/determination etc. and i beleive it`s perfect if it`s stays that way.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Blog Entries
    Not to mention that the giant Aokoji killed would also have to be related to Luffy and co, and that would lead to a whole new level of weird >_>

Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    It wouldn't be so weird for the people with the Will of D to be a clan. Or a scattered ancient tribe that fought during the Void Century. Or humanoid aliens, like Goku. How else is it going to take Ace 20 months to leave the womb?

One Piece already has a space theme going. Enel met space pirates on the moon, and found images of the Pluton or Poseidon on the moon.
    "After all, I am strangely colored."

Well we already know Luffy isn't Roger's son, so you don't have to freak out about it. :P

I do think that the foreshadowing in that page suggests a deeper connection, though. Even following the idea of "lost history", maybe, as poops said, D was a clan. Maybe D was the race of people who were wiped out during the blank era.

That would bring even deeper meaning to Roger's role as the catalyst to the pirate era.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

If there was any relation I think the most likely would be that Roger is Garp's brother, making Ace Luffy's half uncle, and Dragon's half brother.

Unlikely, I know, but I think it's a lot more likely than Roger being Garp's son and Dragon's brother. Remember, Roger was middle aged when he died, probably close to the same age as Garp at the time, Garp looks old now, but he was not this old when Roger died, and Ace is about 10 years older than Luffy, so it could work. Roger had a child late, Garp had a child early.

Would also possibly explain the rivalry between Garp and Roger, as well as Garp not only sparing Ace, but taking him in as a grand son, when he is actually his nephew.

Maybe D was the race of people who were wiped out during the blank era.
    That was my belief before, and still is. Not that it isn't a common one.
    Last edited by joker-kun; Mon, 07-20-2009 at 02:30 PM.

[21:48] * DO furiously masturbates to #gotwoot

Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    I just realized something... Women from the Kuja clan who fall in love always die "from it". Maybe this long ass pregnancy is what does it to them.
    "After all, I am strangely colored."

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poopdeville
    I just realized something... Women from the Kuja clan who fall in love always die "from it". Maybe this long ass pregnancy is what does it to them.
    I`m sure Rogue`s case was an isolated one and she did it thanks to her WILL OF D. hax ability :P
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Quote Originally Posted by poopdeville
    The elder suffered this "sickness" and cured it by abandoning the village. I'm pretty sure you're reading into what was meant to be more of a joke by Oda.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07