Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

The truth will set you sad:

Episode 11 Final - BSS
    Last edited by Kraco; Fri, 09-18-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    well, it was okay.

i don't think it went far enough, and developed their post-earthquake outlook/lifestyle enough :\

it was an acceptable ending to a good series.

user posted image

Quite a moving last episode, at least for me. Much sadder moments than in the previous episodes where Mirai hadn't yet realised Yuuki has died. But sad in a good way (not bitter), which is exactly like I prefer it. Happy endings and endings like this are my favorites.

I think this series succeeded finely. This episode left me under an impression Yuuki might have died due to a head trauma, which would make sense to me. That being more or less the only open question all in all I don't feel like anything crucial was left unexplained (that required to be explained in the first place in a realistic series like this, where you can't expect the characters to know everything).

Since they never came out and said it plainly... I think Kraco's suggestion is the correct one. Head trauma. Probably ever since the earthquake he had internal bleeding or something. Which would explain how fast he died after collapsing.

Man, I cried during that hospital scene. I have an older sister, so it kinda pains me if I was the one in that position.

This was a good series. I was fully expecting a standard ending with everyone arriving home with everyone intact. The childhood snaps of Yuuki and Mirai over the years were pretty heart wrenching.
    Last edited by animus; Fri, 09-18-2009 at 11:59 AM.

A disappointing ending. They went with a forced "happy" ending.
    Maybe its because of my own feelings, but if i imagine one of my two younger brothers died...i couldnt shake it off as easily as both Mirai and her parents. I´d had a complete break down.

The way they reacted in the series was strange. Mirai´s mom didnt know that Yuuki died, but wasnt shocked when she found only Mirai in their apartment. And later on it all had gone into everyday-life already. And then the final scene, where Mirai seemed artificially naive, spouting the clichee "he´s watching from above, so i have to keep going"-blablabla.

It´s as i said before. This series couldn´t have a good ending once we knew that Yuuki died. Though, i´d have prefered a "bad ending", especially when considering that the creators mentioned how realistic their scenario was.

Oh well, overall an interesting series, but the ending ruined it a bit.

I think Mari had told Mirai's mother about Yuuki. Remember the scene at the hospital? When she was at the phone? She was saying 'sorry'. I believe she was telling the Mother about Yuuki. Don't ask me where she got the telephone number though.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I only fully acknoledged, felt in my flesh and then accepted the death of the grandfather I cherished after 15 years. Everyone has their pace and there are many steps too.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli
    And later on it all had gone into everyday-life already. And then the final scene, where Mirai seemed artificially naive, spouting the clichee "he´s watching from above, so i have to keep going"-blablabla.
    That's how it should be. There's no doubt Mirai's parents were suffering tremendously, but for Mirai's sake they can't become all emo. That would encourage Mirai to blame herself all the more. Mirai isn't old enough yet to overcome something like that all on her own, so no matter how painful it is, her parents must make sure she will continue her own life. Even that cliche comment might be something some counsellor and her parents have told her to believe. She's young enough to be susceptible to things like that.

Other than that, it's not fair to say that people who can cope with the death of a family member aren't realistic. I'd say those who can't are more rare. Of course there're huge individual differences, but since we only had one episode left, there wasn't really time to make more detailed depictions of how one can get over it.

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    i really was hoping for the meeting up with the robot nerd/"her living yuuki's dream" elaborated ending :\

but i guess her watering the plant, and displaying her motivation to live is good enough.. we all know Japanese kids can use a message like that these days.

user posted image

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    That's how it should be. There's no doubt Mirai's parents were suffering tremendously, but for Mirai's sake they can't become all emo. That would encourage Mirai to blame herself all the more. Mirai isn't old enough yet to overcome something like that all on her own, so no matter how painful it is, her parents must make sure she will continue her own life. Even that cliche comment might be something some counsellor and her parents have told her to believe. She's young enough to be susceptible to things like that.

Other than that, it's not fair to say that people who can cope with the death of a family member aren't realistic. I'd say those who can't are more rare. Of course there're huge individual differences, but since we only had one episode left, there wasn't really time to make more detailed depictions of how one can get over it.
    Well, they even skipped the moment of her realization of Yuuki´s death, We didnt see that, you know, where she was in the house with Itsuki...we only saw her when she was already outside.
    I simply think that there should have been a stronger initial break-down, like her rolling on the ground, shivering, crying loudly etc.. It all went too smoothly imo, and her mental crazyness was too positive...for a series that made so many claims of being realistic, a hallucination that only supports you (and thats what Yuuki´s "ghost" was) isnt realistic at all. Normal, hallucinations cause even more problems, mostly because of losing touch with reality.

Oh well, its over now, but i just didnt like this...smooth...ending.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    The music was perfect. It wasn't over-dramatic, but enough to convey the sadness through to you. The ending wasn't as elaborate as I expected, and I thought Mari would become closer to the family than it was portrayed, but I wasn't disappointed.

I got over my grandfather's death in a day or two when I was 6 yrs old, but that was because I never remembered living with him, and probably saw him once every 2 years. I can imagine losing my own brother to be pretty traumatic, but I can't say how distraught I would be. I'm sure no one could say unless they've experienced something similar.

Mum hugging Mirai as soon as she saw her and not inquiring about Yuuki immediately is actually understandable. Seeing Mirai was a surprise to her, and the only emotion: "She's safe" rushed to her head and overrided everything else. Only after she calmed down, or at least released her embrace, would she ask about Yuuki.

On the contrary, if she saw Mirai and asked about Yuuki quick enough to be shown in that scene, it would indicate she wasn't as emotional as she appeared, or that she was more worried about him than Mirai.

The entire story started out with Yuuki trying to pull a fragmenting family together with all his effort. He never got to walk the bridge with everyone again, but I'm sure they would have gone again with Yuuki in their hearts.

It was a nice relaxing anime with a bit of a twist towards the end. I would recommend it for people who aren't all action and were looking for something different.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli
    for a series that made so many claims of being realistic, a hallucination that only supports you (and thats what Yuuki´s "ghost" was) isnt realistic at all. Normal, hallucinations cause even more problems, mostly because of losing touch with reality.
    How strongly she believed Yuuki was still there was a stretch of realism in my opinion as well, but on the other hand it might have been the only way to depict her denial of the truth in an anime format. Aside from making her run around looking for Yuuki as if he was just lost and not dead. I do consider the path they took with the hallucination to be far more stylish.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Well, I just watched the last few episodes of this one. I had the same reaction as Yukimura when they showed the hospital episode and I was like, "Pffft, a dream sequence, what a lame waste of an episode" but then they started dropping hints, and you realize he really is dead, and your heart aches for Mirai.

I don't usually cry when I watch movies or anime. Maybe I got a bit teary when I was watching Grave of the Fireflies. Or the first time I watched the Lion King when I was young. This one I think I would have been fine if Yuuki had actually died for me in that hospital. But he didn't die for us or for Mirai, and so the writers sneakily catch their viewers off-guard, unprepared for the raw grief they manage to convey. Part of it too is that it's such an unassuming series. They temper the story with bits of heartache and disaster, but for the most part it's a sunny and positive tale of sibling bonding and restoration of family relationships. They lull us into a false sense of security, and make us worry about the parents/Hina, and when we're not looking they hammer us with Yuuki's death.

Honestly, I thought it was brilliant. They did a superb job really connecting me with the characters so that by the end I had to make sure I had a box of tissues handy. I had no problems with the ending. I'm glad to have some closure and know that Mirai and her family are moving on, and dealing with their grief together as a family. Good resolution to a very touching and powerful series.