Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended/Useful Software Thread

you can just set yourself to busy or something like that and you wont receive this messages.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Beyond Compare (Costs Money/Needs Crack) - Smart File/Folder Comparison software, great for editing code.

irfanView - my tool of choice for batch processing of image files, mainly manga. Supports tons of image effects like croping, resizing, converting between types etc, also has a renamer. I primarily use it to protect the manga scene from idiots who think manga pages should be 2MB PNG's

Kraco already mentioned my most used program renameIt so I'll just second that. It's a great program, regular expressions are awesome and being able to apply multiple regular expressions to the same files is even more awesome. If any one is interested I even wrote a set of generic regexes for renameIt that converts most standard formatted anime release titles into "Title - ep - [Group]" so they'll sort by episode number instead of group in the event a series is picked up by several groups but you still want to archive it.

mIRC - Why isn't this here yet? mIRC is open pretty much 24 hours on my PC. It's useful for much more than just chatting. With it's built in scripting language it's great for getting files and information as well.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian

Spybot Search and Destroy

Malwarebytes

This is my new favorite AV program. When I first used it a month or so ago it was completely free, now it looks like it's still free but w\ purchase option, haven't really looked into that.

This finds alot of stuff that symantec and avg might miss.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Do you guys know any piece of software that is more anonymous thant µtorrent, for the same use?

I mean µtorrent (or the torrent protocol) isn't stealth at all.

I've tried freenet and gnunet, but they seem to be shared by a too small community so there's no interresting content and speeds are incredibly slow.

TOR is not too bad for web browsing only though, since there are more and more peers in the pool to increase the swarm bandwidth.

If you guys know a procedure or something, thanks for sharing.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I'm waiting for something like that too. I'm not in a big rush though, since Australia's relatively lax when it comes to this sort of thing. They're starting to hit on the movies and stuff, but anime kind of takes second place. (in the hunting and aggressive parties regard).

We need something like Share in the Western world.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Does anybody here use Rivatuner?

Backstory:

-------------------------------------------------

I downloaded it today so I can control fan speeds. It's under Nvidia Control Panel's "Automatic Control" right now. According to it, it spins at 0% (that's BS since it's physically spinning - though how slowly I can't be sure) at ~59C, and will dynamically climb to ~9% @ 63C etc. Temps max out at ~71C using ATI Tool, and the fan spins at 49% at that point.

Since the 9800GTX+ is rated for a max temp of 105C though, I figured I could set the threshold higher, or at least allow a longer period of zero/low fan speed, followed by a steeper climb in fan speed/ degree when I'm actually gaming.

Due to season temperature or day/night temp variances, the fan is audible when things get to 60C or higher (5%?). I hoped to do something about that.

-----------------------------------------------

Anyway, for people used to this program, I notice that the fanspeed range you can adjust on it is 25-100%. According to Nvidia Control Panel though, my fan's usually a lot slower anyway. Is this a limitation of Rivatune, or is it a misread by Nvidia Control Panel {NPC from now on}(ie the fan's min speed is 25%, Nvidia just scews up reading it right).?

The logical thing to do would have been to set it on 25% using RivaTuner and see if the fan ramped up audibly.

I didn't actually hear any difference (If I ramped up to 25% on NCP, I would hear it), which leads me to my second question.

No doubt NCP and Rivatune would be fighting over fan-control, amongst other video-card settings. If I used Rivatune, would I have to uninstall NCP/nTune, leaving only the drivers behind?

Blog Entries
    Mozilla addons

AdBlock Plus

Ever been annoyed by all those ads and banners on the internet that often take longer to download than everything else on the page? Install Adblock Plus now and get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    Mozilla addons

AdBlock Plus

Ever been annoyed by all those ads and banners on the internet that often take longer to download than everything else on the page? Install Adblock Plus now and get rid of them.
    Oh I wish someone would port it to chrome/chromium/safari4

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

WinDirStat is a disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for Microsoft Windows.
    On start up, it reads the whole directory tree once and then presents it in three useful views:

• The directory list, which resembles the tree view of the Windows Explorer but is sorted by file/subtree size,
    • The treemap, which shows the whole contents of the directory tree straight away,
    • The extension list, which serves as a legend and shows statistics about the file types.

I looked this up when I had to figure out what was using up all my space in my C drive (partitioned to 50GB), but was sick of right-clicking each folder to view its size. Great little program for when Disk Cleanup doesn't free enough space.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    WinDirStat is a disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for Microsoft Windows.
    On start up, it reads the whole directory tree once and then presents it in three useful views:

• The directory list, which resembles the tree view of the Windows Explorer but is sorted by file/subtree size,
    • The treemap, which shows the whole contents of the directory tree straight away,
    • The extension list, which serves as a legend and shows statistics about the file types.

I looked this up when I had to figure out what was using up all my space in my C drive (partitioned to 50GB), but was sick of right-clicking each folder to view its size. Great little program for when Disk Cleanup doesn't free enough space.
    HDgraĥ is nice too, same purpose, different presentation.