Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1253

Thread: The Internet

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster View Post
    Seriously though, criticizing Hawkeye is as silly as criticizing all of the many other unrealistic shit going on in the movie. It`s a superhero movie, it looks this way or that way because it looks badass, just roll with it.
    I guess it depends on how much you care about archery, which you lot don't seem to (Ryllharu didn't critique the article's critique of JR's form), then you might look harder at the form and technique of "the world's greatest archer", even if it's in a movie. Like I mentioned, it makes me laugh to see police and special forces characters on tv/movies who can't hold a firearm correctly. It ruins the fantasy, if ever so minutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    I gotta say, of course he had to wear "two" arm guards. "One" of those is worthless. The prop is a single armguard.

If anyone tells you that "real" archers don't need them, they're just posturing. Pros wear them, hunters wear them (prevents catching on winter jacket sleeves). The author is full of shit.
    The author claims to be an instructor so I think he's basing the arm guards on JR's form. Seeing that poor form, he expects the archer takes a lot of string hits to the forearm, hence he concludes the need for 2 guards. It may very well be a prop/part of the costume. I imagine if the pain was so bad from repeated strikes, then JR would have worn a larger forearm guard instead of just doubling up.
    Last edited by Animeniax; Tue, 10-22-2013 at 08:06 AM.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    I guess it depends on how much you care about archery, which you lot don't seem to (Ryllharu didn't critique the article's critique of JR's form), then you might look harder at the form and technique of "the world's greatest archer", even if it's in a movie. Like I mentioned, it makes me laugh to see police and special forces characters on tv/movies who can't hold a firearm correctly. It ruins the fantasy, if ever so minutely.
    When you were watching the movie, did you notice he was holding the bow in the wrong way?
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster View Post
    When you were watching the movie, did you notice he was holding the bow in the wrong way?
    The movie is such a mind-fuck of lights and special effects that no, I didn't notice. But then I'm not an archery fan, so it wouldn't have been something I focused on. Notice how this discussion started with me making fun of an archer amongst mighty heroes.

Remember "The Day After Tomorrow"? A geologist buddy of mine ripped it apart for all of its meteorological inaccuracies. I guess it takes a devoted mind (anal-retentive in fact) to see and demand such detail even in movies.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Remember "The Day After Tomorrow"? A geologist buddy of mine ripped it apart for all of its meteorological inaccuracies. I guess it takes a devoted mind (anal-retentive in fact) to see and demand such detail even in movies.
    But being an expert a meteorology, I bet the geologist didn't have too many complaints about "The Core", right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    But being an expert a meteorology, I bet the geologist didn't have too many complaints about "The Core", right?
    I'm sure you know that geology and meteorology go hand in hand, as weather plays a huge factor in shaping the earth.

If we had seen it he would definitely have had plenty to complain about The Core as well as any Hollywood movie covering his field. The thing is that around the time that The Day After Tomorrow came out, there was a lot of doomsday talk about the world entering a new ice age and megastorms destroying the world, complete with a few Hollywood movies covering the subject, so the scientific aspects of TDAT were ripe for nit-picking.

Btw, TDAT and The Core are numbers 5 and 6 in Yahoo!'s list of the 10 most scientifically inaccurate movies ever: http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/top-1...slideshow-903/
    Last edited by Animeniax; Tue, 10-22-2013 at 03:57 PM.

I know I should never do this but I am actually going to agree with Animeniax here. I loved both geology and meteorology growing up even entertained the idea of becoming a geologist before I said forget this and moved on to an even more ridiculous subject but never mind that.

Funny that that list contains some off my favorite movies and yeah they were all terrible. Total Recall and that Crystal Skull nonsense were just plain terrible and have no redeemable qualities whatsoever. Still the only movie I ever regretted paying to watch was The Day the Earth Stood Still.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

You didn't like the original Total Recall?? Is The Day The Earth Stood Still worth watching at all, even if it's free? I'm trying to fill up my Netflix queue and I need some sci-fi gems in there.

No and no. I don't like Total Recall at all and if you know the general plot of The Day The Earth Stood Still then there is absolutely no reason to watch the movie, it adds nothing. That said if you know nothing about the plot then watch the movie. The plot itself is great and I thought it was good that the movie got a modern remake but an update is all it was. It is just like when a great, old video game, gets an HD re-release.
    Sapphire is awesome!

IC, and agree that HD re-releases are a scam. I don't agree with your point about plots though, as execution and implementation can make the most trite stories into something worth watching.

Well I respectively disagree with that assertion. Plot supersedes everything else and you just made my point. The reason the movie was remade was because the plot was good, everything else about the remake was pretty bad including the acting. Keanu Reeves got the leading role. Watch it and then we can discuss it, I should probably watch it again as well since I only saw it the one time however many years ago that was.
    Sapphire is awesome!

As much as people like to joke about his acting, Reeves is a good actor in certain roles. Considering Klaatu is an emotionless alien, I think he would excel in the role.

I disagree that plot is the most important part of a work, though it is important. Many movies have similar plots and many more borrow plots from other movies or works (think pretty much all Disney animated movies) but make them their own with characters and effects. Think of the numerous book to film adaptations and know that plot is only one element of a successful movie.

Lol, yes he is a good actor in certain roles, he has no range that is his damn problem >_<. I initially thought he would be good in that role as well but that was not the case. He was boring and uninteresting and that was what was on screen for the majority of the movie.

Plot is the most important element of any story to me. I tend to judge the quality of any work based on plot and characters. The other elements of a movie for example are just accessories to me. A list cast, great cinematography blah blah blah mean very little. I am not even interested in discussing this. You picked some bad examples by the way because everything you've mentioned are things I dislike. Borrowing plots, Disney movies, book to film adaptations in particular. I really just hate most book to film adaptations, or manga to anime or worse yet book to tv shows.

If I am familiar with the source material then I am most likely going to hate the adaption. It is true for manga to anime, books to movies and especially so for books to tv shows. Game of Thrones gets a pass with me because the show is so well done and I absolutely loved the books and still I only really paid attention to the first season. There have been some absolute abominations though like True Blood, The Dresden Files and Legend of the Seeker. Legend of the Seeker in particular is horrendously bad because Terry Goodkind's novels are arrogant, self-aggrandizing, derivative nonsense. Somewhere between 60% to 75% of his work is blatantly plagiarized, the rest is just ad-libbed and the only purpose all of it serves is to tell you how great his views are.

Somehow he conviced someone somewhere that that nonsense would make a great tv show and that genius decided to make it PG. When shock and awe are pretty much all he has to offer. If someone isn't being tortured(raped), castrated and forced to eat their own testicles(because they raped someone), selling their soul to the devil for power(which includes being raped by a demon with a gigantic barbed phallus), almost raped which happens all the time, or OR imagine this, discovers that they have to have sex to save the world. Then it is all the semi-philosophical ramblings of a pseudo intellectual. Damn I hate that guy. That was actually physically draining.
    Last edited by Abdula; Wed, 10-23-2013 at 03:31 PM.
    Sapphire is awesome!

How did that turn into a rant against Terry Goodkind?

I will add TDTESS to the Netflix queue and give it a try. At worse it will kill 2 hours of boredom at work.

Believe me I am even more surprised as you are but he is just so damn arrogant that it bleed over into everything he does. Have you read the Sword of Truth series. The main character has a damn literal sword of truth and everything he does up to and including torture, rape, disembowelment, slavery, genocide and ordering people to worship him is good and right and proper because he has a magic sword of truth. The strange thing is that determining truth is not one of the sword's powers, it is just a tool he uses to justify his own actions. It one of those things that is just so bad you have to rant about it.

Anyway I could rant about how terrible TG is all day, back to the topic. I'll try to watch it sometime tomorrow. I forgot how much I liked, uh the plot.
    Sapphire is awesome!

If the book is anything like you summarized, I think you missed the point. It sounds like satire, like the author is using the sword as a metaphor for some cause or righteousness that people use as justification for doing terrible things, like people do with religion.

Hahahahahaha! So you would think but you don't know Terry Goodkind, When I first read Wizard's First Rule nearly a decade or so ago I thought it was an ok book and the series had some promise but I could not have been more wrong. The series has over a dozen books and the author takes himself completely seriously both in his books and in real life. In interviews he has claimed to be Ayn Rand's successor and when asked why he decided to write fantasy novels he has claimed that his books aren't fantasy they transcend genre. He has said that the characters of his books are real and speak to him and has even thanked them for choosing him to tell their story. It is just laughable, the very reason it is so funny is because the guy is completely serious.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin
    The new Origin Great Game Guarantee works like this: You may return EA full game downloads (PC or Mac) purchased on Origin for a full refund--within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from when you purchased it, or within the first seven days after the game's release date if you pre-ordered it (whichever of these conditions happens first).
    It's been in effect since August, but i didn't know about it till now. This gives me more confidence in trying new games for myself instead of relying on reviews and word-of-mouth, which wouldn't entirely reflect my own experience anyway.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

24hours to finish game after its release? challenge accepted.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Quote Originally Posted by Abdula View Post
    Hahahahahaha! So you would think but you don't know Terry Goodkind, When I first read Wizard's First Rule nearly a decade or so ago I thought it was an ok book and the series had some promise but I could not have been more wrong. The series has over a dozen books and the author takes himself completely seriously both in his books and in real life. In interviews he has claimed to be Ayn Rand's successor and when asked why he decided to write fantasy novels he has claimed that his books aren't fantasy they transcend genre. He has said that the characters of his books are real and speak to him and has even thanked them for choosing him to tell their story. It is just laughable, the very reason it is so funny is because the guy is completely serious.
    I haven't read anything by TG, but Laurell K. Hamilton has said much of the same about her novels. She said it's sad that she can't actually talk to her characters, and sometimes she'll see something in the window of a mall and wish she could buy it for a character.

That's a horrible kind of attachment! lol. How is it possibly to kill people off when u love them that much.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphi
    That's a horrible kind of attachment! lol. How is it possibly to kill people off when u love them that much.
    Ask yourself that question again when you hear voices inside your head. It might be easier to answer then.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~