Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Natsu no Arashi!

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar

Natsu no Arashi!

Genres: Drama, Fantasy, Comedy
    Plot Summary: In an old town coffee shop, a boy met an older high school girl. From there, everything was... An unforgettable summer began. ~ANN

Official Website: http://www.starchild.co.jp/special/natsunoarashi/
    ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10464
    AnimeNfo: http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,4...no_arashi.html
    AniDB: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=6340
    MyAnimeList: http://myanimelist.net/anime/5597/Natsu_no_Arashi!

[SFW]_Natsu_No_Arashi_-_01_[078E885E].mkv
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 04-08-2009 at 06:40 PM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I don't know why Bill didn't like this show enough to put a comment in, but I was positively surprised. Maybe it was partly due to Yukimura calling (on irc) the main character generic, thus lowering my expectations, maybe because the description is quite vague to begin with. Nevertheless, the main character didn't seem like a loser at all and the girls with those special powers didn't hesitate for a second to use them, nor did the main character hesitate to ask Arashi for some time travelling for quite petty reasons. It's nice. Stories where people only try to hide their powers and find all manner of mumbo jumbo moral reasons not to use them are plain boring.

Still, it's hard to see at this point where this might be going, so I can only hope it remains interesting and the characters won't drop their energetic natures.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    I don't know why Bill didn't like this show enough to put a comment in
    That'd be because I only just got around to watching it

Quite a wacky series, I'll have to admit. Likewise I was also positively surprised, mainly because I've read some rather so-so comments about the first episode. It's funny how all the time travelling gets a bit confusing, but in the end wraps itself up, explaining all the random voices that actually happened.

It fits in with my opinion that one doesn't choose to change the past, as his future has already chosen to change the present.

(But then....if that true, how did his grandfather eat the cutie-Strawberry-chan? And if you assume 1 is enough to knock you out, then 1 in the room + 1 held by grandpa leaves another one missing. I'll assume that Grandpa only took one, since if assumption 1 is true, then Grandpa would have had another one sitting on the table should be had taken 2 from the bedroom, and our main character surely would have retrieved it if it was still intact, leaving 2 at his disposal.)

When I called the main char generic I was basing it off the description and the pic on ANN. The pic made Arashi look much more serious and reserved than she appears in the show (and the pic Buff posted) so I guessed this would be something along the lines of maybe Ghost Hunt or Dennou Coil or something. The show actually surprised me by being light hearted and fun. The midriff fanservice will take some getting used to but the characters were entertaining and the convoluted 'plot' kept me interested and distracted enough to enjoy myself.

[HorribleSubs] Natsu no Arashi - 02 [480p].mkv
    [Shinji]_Natsu_no_Arashi_-_02_[EEDD4CCB].mkv (This release is 330MB, as opposed to HorribleSub's 153MB. Indicative of HD? Who knows.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    [HorribleSubs] Natsu no Arashi - 02 [480p].mkv
    [Shinji]_Natsu_no_Arashi_-_02_[EEDD4CCB].mkv (This release is 330MB, as opposed to HorribleSub's 153MB. Indicative of HD? Who knows.
    The second one isn't HD but pretty good quality SD, even encoded at 30FPS for no motion judder* playback in the 60Hz world (flat panels, computers...) I'd say nice.
    Visuals are very nice and that encode didn't do it any harm.

Liked the Tenma/Kenji cameo, eventhough they weren't moving at all.

Regarding the story, I'm still a bit lost, but since there's nothing to complain to, I'll just watch it to have a nice refreshing time.

*: In fact there are 3 occurences of motion judder in the ep that seem to come from the encoding itself- 6'30"-7'00" and 14'10". Other than that, all splendid sceneries, skies and other scenes are judder free.
    Last edited by David75; Sat, 04-18-2009 at 11:46 AM.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I'm really glad they explained something in the 2nd episode. I was confuse and lost after the first one. And the OP is just weird.

Thanks shinta|hikari for the sig.

Episode 2 - SFW

Quote Originally Posted by oyabin
    I'm really glad they explained something in the 2nd episode. I was confuse and lost after the first one. And the OP is just weird.
    Did they really explain anything? I'm not altogether sure about that. Maybe Arashi is a ghost, maybe she's only saying she is. Though I suppose we are getting closer to the series description, no matter how true or untrue.

Kamigamo didn't sound or look like a boy at all, though, so keeping up male pretences is a bit of a long stretch in my opinion. I wonder how long it will continue. They could have given her a different VA better suited for such a dual role.

Quote Originally Posted by David75
    Liked the Tenma/Kenji cameo, eventhough they weren't moving at all.
    Heh. I actually paused the video for a second for a short "huh?" moment when I noticed it. I wonder if the first episode already had some cameo that went unnoticed.

Heh. I actually paused the video for a second for a short "huh?" moment when I noticed it. I wonder if the first episode already had some cameo that went unnoticed.
    Is that what the guy asking for salt and the one next to him hooking up "jobs" were about?

I don't actually know who the salt people were. Maybe they were references as well, but I didn't recognize them. I'm not actually too sharp at noticing stuff in the background unlike some keen people, so it needs to be something very obvious like Tsukamoto and Harima for me to notice.

Slightly hesitant at first, but that guy's still got more guts than a certain other male companion I've been bashing about lately, so that's cool. No qualms about changing the past I see?

My preferred alternative:

Episode 5 - SFW

This was a jolly good episode. Like I said before, Jun doesn't look or sound like a guy at all, in my opinion, so that detail always seem somewhat unreal to me, but it was nevertheless well played here. I liked the running gags a lot in this ep. A wacky series for sure, but I think one of the better ones this season.

I wonder when that one dude is going to get his salt, though.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I wonder when that one dude is going to get his salt, though.
    Probably never.
    I do not know the customs in Old japanese restaurants/bars regarding salt for customers.

I did a "Shio Kudasai" search on Google... it didn't give much except some guy telling that you seldomly find salt in restaurants, and if you try and ask, a waitress will go to the kitchens and bring you some in a small plate...

I know, twas a stupid idea, stupid search and stupid text I got

Maka from Soul Eater voicing Jun who is supposed to be male was always suspicious to me.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Ah, I somewhat remembered Kaya dragging Jun with her when she travels back in time. Guess this is how it all fits in then. (edit: or maybe she didn't....can't remember...)The repeating events just made this all the more funnier for me. Gotta love SHAFT

OP/ED too are quite the funky ones. I'm actually liking most of the songs from this season's shows.

Natsu no Arashi - 05v2 from SFW: http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=62850
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Thu, 05-07-2009 at 08:47 AM.

The other version:

Episode 6 - SFW

- - - - - - - -

Edit: It was certainly a different ep compared to the previous one that was all jokes. This had hardly a joke, but a load of dark emotions and grief to fill the void. And then those psychedelic bombing scenes...

Jun was kind of pissing me off during this episode. The girl has some serious issues with that "the world against me" attitude. I guess a bit of her lack of understanding and empathy in this ep could be explained by whatever situation it is that makes her dress like a man and generally dislike women but still.
    Last edited by Kraco; Wed, 05-13-2009 at 01:05 PM.