Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    well, I watched the second episode.

I didn't mind this episode at all. It wasn't like, stunning or great or anything, but it wasn't bad enough to make me want to stop watching the series.

I figure with like 24/26 episodes, there'll be plenty of content and stuff so I figure I'm gonna stick with this one.

thought that was military dude with the knife thing looked familiar in the first ep, and when watching this one I figured he was reminding me of the chick that hooks up with the dude in Last Exile. The chick from the other army, but the side character/friend guy and her still hook up.

user posted image

I just grabbed Desire's 720p sub. We have a tornado warning out here, so I may end up watching it tonight. Is that the best group to get the subs for this show from?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
    I just grabbed Desire's 720p sub. We have a tornado warning out here, so I may end up watching it tonight. Is that the best group to get the subs for this show from?
    Any should be fine, since there's no excuse to get it wrong since crunchyroll is available for reference.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

[Tranquil-Fansubs] Shangri-La 03 [704x396].mkv

-----------------------------------------------------
    Well, just when things started going haywire, and I thought I'd watch this just to find out whatever the heck is going on, they pull out that super-annoying "Hey look, what is that thing?"

You're getting shot for Christ sake. Momoru could well have died saving your sorry ass because you were wondering why you didn't have a big house.

/rant

Otherwise, this whole Atlas-quake, seals keeping suns/moons sealed, and luring outsiders in for what looked like a sacrifice to make "medicines" is somehow still keeping me from leaving this ride just yet. I'm close though, one foot's out already.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Tue, 04-21-2009 at 09:11 AM.

I'm hooked in this series - by simple curiosity of its world. I really enjoy such world settings(after some catastrophe but rebuilding).
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Personally, I prefer things being kept in the dark and slowly being unfolded. Most of the rants I've seen about this show is about not understanding what is going on. It would be boring if everything was explained from the start.

Episode 3 was good in my opinion. Its understandable Kuniko gets flustered upon seeing the real size of Atlas. She's in shock upon seeing that the place could easily hold all those from Doumou, yet they are denied. She's lived her whole life on the underworld after all.

Oh... villan woman makes me puke.

Keeping the audience in the dark is something that's used all the time. This show just haven't been able to do it in a way that I find engaging, that's all.

So Mikuni, the evil psychokinetic empress, is the Moon (she lives in the Moon Palace after all) and if the guys who work with the evil bitch are right, Kuniko is the Sun.

I don't know if I am jumping to conclusions, but they almost made it seem like the evil bitch was Kuniko's mother. Then again, the "child" mentioned in the dream sequence might not be Kuniko, but rather that boy in the room with all the eyes.

I dont know wtf is going on with this show. Hopefully all the mysteries will be revealed!

so what's the consensus now? This anime still worth watching?

@ RyougaZell and Buffalobian: I noticed you guys are basically on GW 24/7. Where do you get the time? I wish I could be like you guys, but I have to worry about school and my future and stuff. What do you do?

It's not bad. It's just really not all that engaging yet.

I have no idea what was the point of your @. If you say you don't have the time to be on much, then how could you possibly know they're on 24/7. GJ inserting some "I'm holier-than-thou" statement in there.

Quote Originally Posted by lilphatboi88
    so what's the consensus now? This anime still worth watching?

@ RyougaZell and Buffalobian: I noticed you guys are basically on GW 24/7. Where do you get the time? I wish I could be like you guys, but I have to worry about school and my future and stuff. What do you do?
    Uhh... my computer is usually on 24/7 downloading stuff
    And I leave firefox opened on diverse pages... including gotwoot. I spend most of my day at work...

About your consensus... I won't speak for everybody. But personally I find it worth watching. And I'll keep doing so. Im not a person who decides not to watch something based on other's opinions. I drop shows only if I don't like them even if others do (like Soul Eater)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RyougaZell
    About your consensus... I won't speak for everybody. But personally I find it worth watching.
    I've been watching the first ep for 2 minutes and 49 seconds and i already know why you won't be dropping it Zell ...

[Shinji]​_Shangri-La​_-​_04​_[E40547E0].​mkv

Archie: What? you offering to make a Kuniko sig?

Blog Entries
    You offering to use it? Get me a render

This episode was pretty good.

Little Miss Smarty Manipulate-the-Market Pants got caught by a bunch of old farts she probably thought very little of, proxied through Kuniko. The shear panic in her voice when her interface started freaking out was priceless given her past attitude toward...everyone. Had herself a little panic attack in her citadel that was only alleviated through the quick destruction of a packet of pocky.

I think it was arguably very stupid of Kuniko to lose her boomerang and the Metal Age tech it contains. While she did get verifiable proof of the reactive stealth armor that ATLAS might roll out, she could have lost a great deal more. One concession is that the true knowledge of the Metal Age tech is contained in her grandmother's books, and the techniques one has to learn in order to use such tank-slicing weapons.

I did also like the argument that Kusanagi had with Kuniko. He's probably brainwashed by the crap all the ATLAS workers and citizens are fed, but one might say that Kuniko is equally brainwashed, despite how much she tries to distance herself from Metal Age. In the end, she's probably right, Kusanagi doesn't live where everything is shitty, Kuniko knows it first hand. It did bring up the interesting fact that not everyone lives in enormous houses in ATLAS. Only people like Mikuni and Ryoko do. ATLAS may only exaggerate the class disparity that we face in our own reality. The privileged only become more so among the already "elite."

Best part of this episode was definitely the end. Given her reaction, the magical girl character shown everywhere in Akibahara is obviously patterned after the proud, age-wizened leader of the Metal Age. I wonder what kind of super weapon Kuniko's grandmother used when she was Kuniko's age.

Shangri-La OP Single - Kimi Shinitamou Koto Nakare [May'n]

[Nipponsei] Shangri-La OP Single - Kimi Shinitamou Koto Nakare [May'n].zip

Missed this. Full time uni/casual work. Guess that's why I've got an unfinished assignment due tomorrow night ^ ^ ;

I think the dense economics of this episode went a bit over my head, even with the graphical representations and simplified economic model.

What I got out of this episode:

- Ryoko is disgusting. Everything about her is repellant.

- Kusanagi's mom is awesome, and he wasn't lying to Kuniko. ATLAS has its fair share of poor housing, to make up for the absurdly wealthy like Ryoko and Mikuni.

- Apparently Kuniko is an economic savant, and I don't really have any idea what's going on.