Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: K-On!

K-On!

K-On!'s story revolves around four Japanese high school girls who join their school's light music club to try to save it from being abolished. However, they are the only members of the club, and none of them have any experience playing musical instruments or reading sheet music.

episode 1 by Coalguys:

http://tor.doctorx.eu/t/%5BCoalGuys%...5D.mkv.torrent

This series has a slight charm to it, I'll give it a few episodes before deciding to stick to it or not.
    "Be sure to take this piece of $#!t(meant sheet)" - My dynamics professor(heavy japanese accent)

Sig and Avatar by Lucifus
    Current Games: League of Legends(Fuck, its got me hooked again -_-)

This reminded me heavily of Manabi Straight. Also, according to this episode, three of the four members actually can play. Only one, the main character, who's a few notes short of a full score, can't do anything, so that series description isn't entirely accurate. Though it wasn't yet shown if they can read notes, but you'd think so seeing how they indicated they have experience enough.

I'll probably keep watching this. Sometimes it's good to watch silly series with no darkness.

Is there a big difference between the mkv and avi files? And the wiki says SS-Eclipse may be subbing, so I'll probably keep an eye out for that.

Otherwise, this looks to be an interesting series. Hopefully it will be so throughout.

I really liked the first episode, I'll definitely be picking this up.

Yui is like a combination of Tsukasa from Lucky Star, but smashed together with Fuuko from Clannad. So you get all of Tsukasa's moe clumsiness, and Fuuko's general incompetence. At least she doesn't lie about her own failings.

Ritsu was that perky, sometimes annoying character, but with enough energy to keep things going. I can definitely see a comparison to Manabi Straight, but I was not a fan of that (maybe it was the hamster faces, maybe it was Yui Horie, I don't know). She reminds me more of a Hyakko influence perhaps.

Tsumugi is more of the "perfect" character. It sounds like she can cook very well, play keyboard, can sing since she wanted to join the chior, there's gotta be a flaw somewhere!

Mio rounds it out nicely as the more serious type. Plus she plays bass, and I'm not sure why but that just makes her better.

What I found more jarring coming off rewatching Nanoha and just finishing Maria+Holic was Asami Sanada playing the gentle and kind music teacher, who I presume will also be their advisor. It's just...really weird given what she usually plays.

Someone else mentioned it somewhere, but it is a nice effect to see that this time, the production company paid for the rights to use the actual brand names and images of the instruments.

My only complaint was how they seemed to underplay that nearly 6 weeks had passed since they started school and almost a month after the other three refounded the light music club. The others had a decent amount of time to practice what they had come up with so far.

Enjoyable first episode. It certainly has a Lucky Star/Haruhi feel to it, which is always good.

God damn it. Why is this on 4:3?? Any idea if there is going to be a 16:9 version?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    Someone else mentioned it somewhere, but it is a nice effect to see that this time, the production company paid for the rights to use the actual brand names and images of the instruments.
    Paid for the rights? Considering this isn't an ecchi show or otherwise compromised, you'd think the companies would be happy to grant such a right for free. After all, if we were talking about a Hollywood movie (or perhaps even a series), the companies would be the ones paying to get their stuff shown so visibly.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyougaZell
    God damn it. Why is this on 4:3?? Any idea if there is going to be a 16:9 version?
    Seems like an increasing plague.
    I guess that's because they think they'll easier sell DVDs since they are 16:9.

But what a dumb way of doing things considering the number of 16:9 screens there are nowadays (even in Japan right, I mean out of the Tokyo area)

I wonder if Japanese people watching shows on TV aren't a bit mad at that, considering they have to suffer from the ads and a 4:3 image.

Or is it just because subbers only get raws from second rate TV stations that only air 4:3 (I do not see that point as valid)?

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I really liked the first episode, I'll definitely be picking this up.

Yui is like a combination of Tsukasa from Lucky Star, but smashed together with Fuuko from Clannad. So you get all of Tsukasa's moe clumsiness, and Fuuko's general incompetence. At least she doesn't lie about her own failings.

Ritsu was that perky, sometimes annoying character, but with enough energy to keep things going. I can definitely see a comparison to Manabi Straight, but I was not a fan of that (maybe it was the hamster faces, maybe it was Yui Horie, I don't know). She reminds me more of a Hyakko influence perhaps.

Tsumugi is more of the "perfect" character. It sounds like she can cook very well, play keyboard, can sing since she wanted to join the chior, there's gotta be a flaw somewhere!

Mio rounds it out nicely as the more serious type. Plus she plays bass, and I'm not sure why but that just makes her better.

What I found more jarring coming off rewatching Nanoha and just finishing Maria+Holic was Asami Sanada playing the gentle and kind music teacher, who I presume will also be their advisor. It's just...really weird given what she usually plays.

My only complaint was how they seemed to underplay that nearly 6 weeks had passed since they started school and almost a month after the other three refounded the light music club. The others had a decent amount of time to practice what they had come up with so far.
    I guess Mugi's only flaw is that she's got thick eyebrows.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    WoW, the ending is really cool, I'm sure Mio (hot! ^^) or Tsumugi are going to be my favorite characters (even though I like all 4 club members so far) and all in all it seems to be a really good series.

I like the animation and it's really fun to watch.

and once again, I like the ending.. just like a music-video would look like.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sat, 04-04-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I don't know if these guys are any better than the aforementioned group, but here's Chihiro's release:

Chihiro-Fansubs K-ON! - 01

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Chihiro isn't exactly a quality subbing group. I'd stick to Coalguys unless a real contender appears.

I liked the first ep, so I'll be watching! It's better than I expected and I like the animation.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Same team that animated Kannagi I'd guess?

And Asu no Yoichi, if you watched that. They're not bad, even with the 4:3.

Quote Originally Posted by animus
    Same team that animated Kannagi I'd guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by narutosharingan
    And Asu no Yoichi, if you watched that. They're not bad, even with the 4:3.
    Kannagi was A-1 Pictures and Aniplex
    Asu no Yoichi was AIC
    K-ON is KyoAni (as with Lucky Star)

Kannagi and K-ON look similar, but the character design and art director for K-ON both worked on Lucky Star. Kannagi was meant to look like Lucky Star I suppose, mostly because the Kannagi director was still hurt about getting fired off Lucky Star.

Personally, I don't think the art design from Yoichi looks like like K-ON or Kannagi.

I gotta admit this anime surprises me, I havent found a reason to hate any of the characters.
    Last edited by TheBladeChild; Sat, 04-04-2009 at 03:51 PM.
    "Be sure to take this piece of $#!t(meant sheet)" - My dynamics professor(heavy japanese accent)

Sig and Avatar by Lucifus
    Current Games: League of Legends(Fuck, its got me hooked again -_-)

Kannagi was A-1 Pictures and Aniplex
    Asu no Yoichi was AIC
    K-ON is KyoAni (as with Lucky Star)

Kannagi and K-ON look similar, but the character design and art director for K-ON both worked on Lucky Star. Kannagi was meant to look like Lucky Star I suppose, mostly because the Kannagi director was still hurt about getting fired off Lucky Star.

Personally, I don't think the art design from Yoichi looks like like K-ON or Kannagi.

That's because I misread and thought which subbed it....

I'll just go sit in the corner...

Weirdly compelling first episode. I'll keep on watching this series, I guess.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

It was cute. I'll keep watching to see how Yui does with the guitar.