Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Naruto fans having trouble with .mkv files (solution)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    Alright, let's say for the sake of argument that I'm out of touch with the encoding community. (True more or less anyway)

You keep mentioning compatability issues without going into detail. Care to enlighten me on a few specific issues?
    Playing MKVs back in standalone players and converting them to DVD-Video files was a huge hassle last time I checked. As for playable errors, a Google search reveals half as many results for MKV playback problems as it does for AVI - despite the fact that AVI predates MKV by ten years. This forum and every other one like it was plagued with tech support requests when groups began the switchover to MKV.

Quote Originally Posted by Y
    As for playable errors, a Google search reveals half as many results for MKV playback problems as it does for AVI - despite the fact that AVI predates MKV by ten years. This forum and every other one like it was plagued with tech support requests when groups began the switchover to MKV.
    No shit. Avi is an MS proprietary format and has native Windows support. Mkv was probably never used by any industry (though I'm sure the mp4 developers studied it hard). It's somewhat nobrained which one would generate more problems among people not knowing what they are doing. Besides, who knows how many of those problems are just lousy computers trying to run h264 mkvs? Avi hasn't been used for h264 until quite recently when some rare groups refused to switch to mkv or mp4.

That doesn't make his points any less true.
    -----------------

But it makes the data skewed, and brings question to its validity.

Most of us remember the days when the majority of the groups decided to switch to h264 (and .mkv to contain it natively). It showed exactly how many morons there were among us who watched anime and had no clue what a codec ever was.

When I stared checking some of Y's claims (which are true, though mostly through hackjobs and 3rd party plugins) I'd say the overwhelming majority of forum threads I found through search were from 2005-2006. Most of the complaints were during the switchover. Mostly by people who had never heard of a codec pack, and just played everything in Windows Media Player.

.avi was introduced in '92. Not exactly the explosion of internet communication. It's no surprise there aren't any complaints, especially considering it is windows native as Kraco pointed out.