Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: White Album

First impressions of the series:

I'm a little surprised it takes place in the late 80s, but it makes a lot of sense to do so. That's when idols (in Japan or the States) had stupidly elaborate costumes, like Rina's rose on the head thing. It's a more vivid time in terms of attention grabbing idols.

I also liked that Touya's thoughts are all internal, just text on the screen. It gives them a more powerful image that they are "thoughts" rather than internal monologue like anime adaptations normally do.

We can already see some strains on Yuki and Touya's relationship. They had that long phone call, but otherwise it seems like the dream will slowly become reality. She will only get more busy, and have less and less time to spend with him. They like each other a lot, clearly, but they already seem so out of sync.

I was also surprised how close Yuki and Rina are. Rina really treats Yuki well, but not in any sort of sempai-kouhai relationship, but more as friends.

What I really wonder the most is how Rina gets closer to Touya to create this love triangle. It would be pretty cold-hearted if she met him solely through his relationship with Yuki, but I can't think of any other way she'd meet him, since Rina is just as busy as Yuki right now.

The OP was okay, a little slow for a Mizuki Nana song, but I really liked the ED.

Interesting first episode. I enjoyed the OP. This was a bit slower than I thought it would be, maybe it has to do with the background music. I guess they decided to show how Yuki and Touya were starting to drift apart in the very first episode. My guess is that Rina would get to know Touya through Yuki, as I'm not sure how many other ways he could just meet an idol like that.

The words/thoughts on the screen were a nice effect; it feels appropriate somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    First impressions of the series:

I'm a little surprised it takes place in the late 80s, but it makes a lot of sense to do so. That's when idols (in Japan or the States) had stupidly elaborate costumes, like Rina's rose on the head thing. It's a more vivid time in terms of attention grabbing idols.

I also liked that Touya's thoughts are all internal, just text on the screen. It gives them a more powerful image that they are "thoughts" rather than internal monologue like anime adaptations normally do.

We can already see some strains on Yuki and Touya's relationship. They had that long phone call, but otherwise it seems like the dream will slowly become reality. She will only get more busy, and have less and less time to spend with him. They like each other a lot, clearly, but they already seem so out of sync.

I was also surprised how close Yuki and Rina are. Rina really treats Yuki well, but not in any sort of sempai-kouhai relationship, but more as friends.

What I really wonder the most is how Rina gets closer to Touya to create this love triangle. It would be pretty cold-hearted if she met him solely through his relationship with Yuki, but I can't think of any other way she'd meet him, since Rina is just as busy as Yuki right now.

The OP was okay, a little slow for a Mizuki Nana song, but I really liked the ED.
    Really? The hairstyles seem oddly a bit too contemporary to be from then.

Quote Originally Posted by animus
    Really? The hairstyles seem oddly a bit too contemporary to be from then.
    Touya's calender said 1986.

Your're right about the hairstyles though. Their normal hairstyles definitely, but the idol ones (Rina's getups, Yuki's punk one, and the 8 Bitches) are a little more 80s. A distinct lack on a high percentage of perms though.

I enjoyed the first episode, so I'll continue to watch this. The main guy annoys me though, he's way too clingy.

Good deal, was just wondering when it would come out. Now just have to wait until I go back to work to download.

I recognized Hirano Aya's voice from the first word of the opening scene. She needs to switch it up a bit.

I think it is more that the tone she uses for Yuki is exactly the same as the one she just used for Minato in Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka.

Kinda have mixed feelings for this show, part of me want to keep watching while the other part of me doesn't. It left an unpleasant feeling after the episode ended, too much angst or hints of it doesn't sit to good with me. Or maybe it's just because the idol thing reminds me of I''s except instead of building the relationship they just skip to the whole not being able to met often and the out of sync part. Then again if it can invoke feelings then it got to be doing something right
    You are here alone again
    In your sweet insanity
    All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
    Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
    When all the world turns away to leave you lonely

I think it is more that the tone she uses for Yuki is exactly the same as the one she just used for Minato in Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka.

That's the first thing I noticed when started this. It feels like it's the exact same (which feels weird since that series just finished).

I actually found it to be identical to Ayu from Hyakko. I stopped watching Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka after 3 episodes.

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    I thought the first episode was kinda plan. Wasn't impressed with it. But, I think that the series has the potential to be very good, so I will continue to watch. (I thought the same thing about Ef - Melodies, and I loved that series, so we'll see)

user posted image

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    enjoyed it. doesn't feel too overboard or waxing dramatic like most anime romances. has a pretty real world feel about it, especially with the interactions between the friends.

i'll probably watch another episode or two. don't know if this kind of thing can really keep my interest for long though.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

This series is easily one of the most promising series this season. A lot happened in this episode, and most of it was very subtle looks and motions. It really helps that Aquaplus is animating this with Seven Arcs. You can see a lot of the very fluid motions and subtle expressions they were so good at animating in Utawawerumono here as well, and then it's shined up a bit by Seven Arcs skills brought in from Nanoha A's.

The first episode was a little weaker because they had to bring us into the premise of the story, but they spent no wasted time here.

Touya has already gotten himself quite the number of admirers. Rina hits on him after their first meeting (or so it appears) perhaps aided by all the things Yuki tells her about, Haruka (the bike girl) seems intent on stealing him away, and Misaki (the other girl) seems interested in him as well.

I thought that Yuki was going to get ordered to break up with Touya in order to go forward with her career, but perhaps that is a bit cliche so soon. I much preferred the thought we were left with that when she goes to call Touya, she's going to get a busy signal, possibly more than one next episode. From the first episode, we learned that she usually talks to him for hours, and there really wouldn't be anyone else who would call him.

Rina on the other hand, may be attempting to steal him away...which she is certainly confident enough, and capable of being nasty enough to do so, but it's hard to see her that way from her other actions around Yuki. Rina seems generally kind hearted, so I wonder if what she is actually calling him for is to tell Touya what Yuki clearly didn't want to do herself while they were at the cafe.

That said, I already dislike Haruka (the bike girl). She knows the most about Yuki and Touya's relationship it seems, but she's spending a lot of effort to get him alone with her, thank her (through her deception about being his "goddess of the day") and otherwise talk to her. There's no brother/sister relationship coming from her, though perhaps Touya sees her that way. He was plainly uncomfortable with her taking "Yuki's spot" sitting back-to-back thanks to a little insight from his thoughts.

Lastly, Misaki is pretty much the same, but for some reason she doesn't rub me the wrong way that Haruka does. We saw it from the first episode too. She attempts to ingratiate herself to Touya, like with the poetry book, but Touya is working against her on this, which makes their relationship more interesting. He spends considerable effort giving Akira chances to get with her since they are friends, but Misaki shows zero interest in Akira. The phone conversation between Touya and Misaki was very telling. She openly admits she'd rather talk to Touya on the phone than rest, pushes herself to maintain the conversation as long as possible, and her subtle expressions (mostly through her hands and mouth) revealed a lot about her true aims.

I think Akira knows a bit about it as well. The "shut up" going out of his head showed his displeasure at Touya talking so much about Misaki. He may already know she would rather be with Touya.

The OP is growing on me as well. Can't wait for the next episode.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Mon, 01-12-2009 at 05:36 PM.

A very interesting episode. I'm wondering what Rina's objective is. That was a sly move she pulled off, so that Akira wouldn't notice. I'm hoping that we get to know more about Misaki and Haruka, but right now I'm rooting for Rina.

Thanks for the recommendation, rhyllharu, im downloading the first 2 episodes. Im looking forward to many, long controverse discussions if this is really similiar to "that" :P

OP Single

[Nipponsei] White Album OP Single - Shin Ai [Mizuki Nana].zip

Ending single will be released next week.