Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Manga: Nurarihyon no Mago - Grandchild of Nurarihyon

Manga: Nurarihyon no Mago - Grandchild of Nurarihyon

Well, I was bored so I started reading this manga and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It reminds me of Keikashi, and I recommend it to people that enjoy shounen type of series. At first it seems dumb, with silly characters and a moron of a main character, but as it goes on it gets much better. Once the conspiracies and "evil organizations" start showing up, the series starts having some promise. I'd say at around chapter 13 is when it gets good. In all it has been quite enjoyable. Nothing great, nothing spectacular, but quite readable if you're looking to get entertained.

Anyone tried the series? There are 36 chapters out and scanlated (they're up to date) and they're releasing weekly, so if you're looking for something to read week to week, you can give this a try.

There's a One Shot that came first:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/49029529...n_boredom_.rar

Here's the series:
    http://mangashare.com/manga/Nurarihyon-no-Mago/

Rikuo Nura, a kid that is part human and a quarter youkai (demon), lives in a house full of spirits along with his youkai grandfather. Trying to escape his fate of acting like a demon, he does good deeds in order to avoid becoming one despite his grandfather's wish to succeed him as master of the Nurari youkai clan.

First published as a oneshot in 2007, it later became a series in 2008.
    http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=11931

It didn't impress me much for two reasons: The dude lost his memories of the time he kicked ass in the youkai form, and on the other hand I intensely dislike series where the main character has nice powers but doesn't want to use them because he believes that would cause his (loser) "friends" to look oddly at him, and so instead of being a badass mofo he tries to be as boring and ordinary as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    It didn't impress me much for two reasons: The dude lost his memories of the time he kicked ass in the youkai form, and on the other hand I intensely dislike series where the main character has nice powers but doesn't want to use them because he believes that would cause his (loser) "friends" to look oddly at him, and so instead of being a badass mofo he tries to be as boring and ordinary as possible.
    Well I'll spoil for you since you won't be reading more...

He does remember. And more and more he starts using his powers in front of friends as the series goes along. But yeah, main character sucks, but his transformation-side is pretty good. With that said, as the series goes along the character starts embrassing his youkai side more. I would've dropped it if this wasn't the case... I was about to do it early on since I didn't like this things either.

But as I said, this is standard shounen, and I can tolerate the things you complain about (which I hate also), but I enjoy the other aspects of it.

This is nothing great, but I think it's entertaining enough if someone likes shounen on a weekly basis. I know it wouldn't impress you much, it shouldn't impress you... I think I said as much in my first post. I don't know what more could've said to lower the expectations. Not going to try to convince you that this is a good series, and won't blame you for not liking it, I just find some entertainment on it, and that's pretty much all there's to it. I think chapter 13 is the turning point of the series, if anyone wants to give this a good chance.

On that regard, that's the main problem with the shounen stuff... they're silly and always is about having the "goody two shoes" main characters. Although some stray from the mold, that's the usual. Better off sticking with seinen.

But on regard of trying to be ordinary, you're right. It's one of the things I dislike more about Superman.
    Last edited by Munsu; Wed, 12-03-2008 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu
    I think I said as much in my first post. I don't know what more could've said to lower the expectations.
    I read the beginning of the series a week ago or so, so I'm not blaming you for trying to induce wrong kind of expectations. But if you say it does get better soon enough, I might still end up having a second look at it. I don't have much else to read right now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    I read the beginning of the series a week ago or so, so I'm not blaming you for trying to induce wrong kind of expectations. But if you say it does get better soon enough, I might still end up having a second look at it. I don't have much else to read right now anyway.
    Give it to chapters 13-15, if by then you don't think it's enjoyable enough to read it when you've got nothing else, like you said, then I think you've done due dilligence in trying to like it.

But those chapters are much better than what they showed us in the beginning of the series, I can promise that much. With that said, I doubt he'll ever develop from the "goody two shoes" he's been so far. He might become less naive, but that's about it.

Some of the later parts behave a little too much "battle manga" like for my taste, but I think the first couple chapters are interesting. I'm keeping an eye on this one.

well, it probably can't be too bad... so I'm going to read it.
    the site doesn't have chapter 16, where can I find it?

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Everon
    Some of the later parts behave a little too much "battle manga" like for my taste, but I think the first couple chapters are interesting. I'm keeping an eye on this one.
    That's true, but I don't mind it... I like it myself. Good thing is that the fights aren't drawn out, and from time to time they use team work. So they aren't always one on one battles like the usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Everon
    well, it probably can't be too bad... so I'm going to read it.
    the site doesn't have chapter 16, where can I find it?
    Well, I uploaded it to sendspace to hook you up... but I always use IRC to get mine:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/b31h62

Edit: This site has some download links:
    http://mangahelpers.com/s/nksh/details/5004

And with that a new chapter is out, 37:
    http://media.mangahelpers.com/downlo..._Mago_ch037%20[NKSH%20&%20JcScans].rar
    Last edited by Munsu; Thu, 12-04-2008 at 08:08 AM.

went through it all, actually, really nice.

doesn't stagger around, keeps a good pace of development.
    the art is a bit messy, but it's nothing an HQ raw can't solve.
    and if this ever gets animated, a good director could make miracles out of it (obviously, I'm thinking 100 Stories style of youkai animation)

Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

For those of you who are up to date, 41 is out:
    http://mangahelpers.com/s/nksh/details/7782

Now this was a really cool chapter, an all out battle is starting and the setup for the next chapter was great. The art in this one was really good too.

Seems like the kid has inherited his grandfather's powers.

great chapter...
    it's always fun to see uber armies evenly matched.

can someone take it upon himself to bump whenever there's a new chapter?

I'll do it, but I hate double posting... but sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z
    great chapter...
    it's always fun to see uber armies evenly matched.

can someone take it upon himself to bump whenever there's a new chapter?
    Here's 42:
    http://mangahelpers.com/s/nksh/download/9181

thanks.
    I don't understand what's the great cliffhanger, does the girl (yuki?) have a special light-curative abilities that can save him?

And here's 43:
    http://mangahelpers.com/s/nksh/download/10075

I liked this chapter mainly because of the scenes outside of the fight. Not much to say about the other stuff, things will keep building up until Rikou is at full strength again and we see the real power of the sword.

well, it probably makes sense, if you get Japanese legends and you're paying attention (obviously, I've got neither).

but it still a good enough chapter.

new scan group, I hope they'll get better.

another great chapter,crazy fights all around.