Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soul Eater: What subbers to watch now?

I had thought I had separated the paragraphs in an attempt to emphasize, but it seems that content went overlooked.

I specifically stated that while the translation is 100% legal, and is the property of the translator in regards to the specific wording and phrasing, "You just can't put it onto the original work and give it away or sell it off."

That means no publishing, and no sales.

The illegality of fansubs come from slapping it onto the original work in one convenient package. There's nothing legally wrong with a text translation to go on the side the original work.

As for TV shows specifically, merely slicing out the commericals is what is denying the orignal broadcaster ad-revenue. The creator has already been paid. Keeping fansubs denies them revenue because the viewer should be purchasing overpriced (for anime in Asia, US box sets are quite cheap in comparison) DVDs or Blu-Ray discs.

Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    I had thought I had separated the paragraphs in an attempt to emphasize, but it seems that content went overlooked.

I specifically stated that while the translation is 100% legal, and is the property of the translator in regards to the specific wording and phrasing, "You just can't put it onto the original work and give it away or sell it off."
    Except that is wrong, in the United States and Berne Convention countries.

A translation is a substantial "derived work", and you have to license the original work under terms that will let you create a substantial derived work for the translation to be legal to distribute. Merely watching/downloading the show does not grant such a license (unless it does so explicitly, like those "Creative Commons" blogs and YouTube videos, or GPL software).

The only reason these cases aren't seeing court is because there's no point in marginalizing the community of free advertising providers and fans. FUNimation said as much in their letter. "We know everyone who visits <blah website> is a big fan".

This is kind of a good strategy from FUNimation's perspective -- let the fansubbers get people hooked, gather market research on popular shows, and make the fans buy the last episodes from them.

Blog Entries
    Is it me or is the latest AllHailExcalibur (episode 32) release incredibly bad?

I actually preferred the subs by the fast subber i had archived ( SEF i think )

Really? I just downloaded AllHailExcalibur and didn't even check it out before deleting whatever older sub I had. The first AllHailExcalibur labeled release (#29) was all that I verified for quality but afterwards I just assumed they would be ok. Damn.

Blog Entries
    I have no problem with episode 31 but 32 was goddamn terrible, if solely for the fact that they decided to translate his name to hero instead of hiro ( which lead to " i'm the hero, hero " many times )

And there were parts that made alot more sense in the speed subbers version

32? Hah! It was the Excalibur episode. When I one day rewatch this series, I'll be sure to skip that one. If their 33 is again good, then it's all good.

Are they still subbing the show? I can't find episodes 36+ (LateShow) anywhere...

Also a different, but good sub would work, any suggestion?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariachan View Post
    Are they still subbing the show? I can't find episodes 36+ (LateShow) anywhere...

Also a different, but good sub would work, any suggestion?
    No we never heard from them again

I recommend you get your subs from Tsubaki