Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ga-Rei Zero

Ga-Rei Zero

Quote Originally Posted by ANN
    Plot Summary: The Japanese Ministry of Defense has an anti-paranormal special forces group called the Supernatural Disaster Prevention Agency. They're the ones responsible to protect Japanese soil and its people from supernatural and paranormal events. However, things didn't go so well in one of their missions, which leads to intervention by the Ministry of Enviroment's Supernatural Disaster Countermeasures Division after the SDPO has sustained large numbers of casualties battling demons.
    Genre: Action, Supernaural
    ANN

AniDB

Ga-Rei Zero - 01 (H264) - [AnimeYoshi]

Ga-Rei Zero - 01 (H264) - [Aero]
    Ga-Rei Zero - 02 (H264) - [Aero]

Ga-Rei Zero - 01 (Xvid) - [sMi]

Ga-Rei Zero - 01 (H264) - [sMi]

Ga-Rei Zero - 02 (H264) - [sMi]

I must say this beginning of this show is definitely not like beginning of most action shows. The action is plenty cool but it's got a good deal more grit than usual and I think it makes good use of it. Only two episodes in and I'm pretty much hooked, I just hope they don't fall off the wagon they've created in the first two eps and start going more mainstream as the show wears on.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Fri, 10-17-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    I watched the first ep, and I thought it was ok, but didn't really get into it. I'm not sure what it was.....I couldn't really bring myself to care about the characters. There are enough interesting shows this season that I think I might give this one a miss, unless I hear from you guys that it becomes really awesome in later episodes.

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    awman, i was on here earlier and didn't see a thread for this show. I almost made one, but I didn't have the time to copy/paste everything into a total info thread.

I've watched the first two episodes, and I'm enjoying it so far.

As for the first episode, I had a few complaints, and some things were borderline-ridiculous. But the ending was amazing. The second episode I'd say was just as good.

user posted image

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    the first episode was pretty unimpressive, standard 'anime Ghost-busters' stuff for the first 18 minutes

then it was suddenly very awesome. holy hell. not what i expected at all from a first episode.

the fact that i have no idea what episode 2 will be like makes me crave it for immediate viewage. but if the show is only like the first 18 minutes for most of the time, it won't be much more than another 'meh, okay' supernatural action anime.

I do love the idea of putting holy seals on the wheels of a motorcycle though.

Characters and their storylines are almost all "haven't I seen this somewhere else before?" bores. But, man, that ending...

episode 02 will tell me more, i hope.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Episode 1 and 2 were excellent. There's even an uncensored version of Ep1 released by Aero subs. Cant wait for Ep3!

hey, have you watched the uncensored one? I haven't gotten it because I don't nkow what it is exactly. I don't know what exactly would be "uncensored". It didn't seem like they censored blood or anything in the episode I watched. so yeah, I haven't gotten it, but if you have/do, could you tell me what all is different?

user posted image

Its got a bit more gore in it is all. I am personally against censorship so for me thats the way to go.

meh. I'm against censorship as well, but if I have to wait a week just to see some more gore, I'm not gonna bother. thanks for telling me though.

user posted image

I dunno what you mean have to wait another week I just download the first release and then swap it with an updated releases if they release one.

Hmmm.. The first episode was pretty cool. I haven't seen too many supernatural/shooter type animes so this one was pretty interesting. But then the ending is like wtf?

As for episode 2...... Even more wtf?!? All of a sudden it's about schoolgirls with swords now?

Ugh.... Somebody enlighten me on what's going on.

edit - Aero - Ga-Rei Zero - Episode 03 - h264-848x480 mkv

response to above:
    basically the girl who killed the squad in the first episode is the same girl who does all the killing in episode 2. (i think). She's the girl in the flashback in episode 1 who is screaming at the gunslinger to kill his girlfriend (Aoi). This would match with what the Head of the Environmental Agency says in episode 2, that she was once one of their members.

She appears in the flashbacks in episode 1, but the group in episode 2 is who she's connected with the most. She's the older sister of the other school girl (who she kills at the end) and she was engaged to the guy with the ferrets. She might have been part of that squad, from the expression of recognition on everyone's face when she appeared.

So, yeah, the question would be, for me, if Aoi is still alive or not?

edit yet again - well, episode 3 answered a shit ton of questions. (i was slightly wrong on some points in my above explanation) It was entirely different from the first two episodes, but i still enjoyed it.

Although, now I wonder... if they chose to flashback from that moment, I can't help but think that Kagura isn't dead after all. I mean, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to start a show off with one main character killing the other and then flashbacking... would it? Would it?

Also, plane crash guy is the white haired devil's father? Wonder if he'll get a flashback? Maybe this show will just keep going in reverse until we get the origin? Clearly, this episode 3 has thrown me for a loop, because I have no idea what to expect.

Finally, one thing I love about this show is that there's no OP. Nothing given away by stupid music videos, and we slide right into the show. There's also nothing ever shown at the end, just the title of the next episode, which I think is great. A truly good show doesn't need some cheesy teaser preview that'll spoil 20% of the next episode just to make sure people show up to watch it.
    Last edited by masamuneehs; Tue, 10-21-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic
    As for episode 2...... Even more wtf?!? All of a sudden it's about schoolgirls with swords now?
    I was interested in starting with this series, till I hear about the school girls with swords.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    I am loving this series so far. The animation is just beautiful and the action is quite nice. And main characters die in like every show! How cool is that?
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyke
    I was interested in starting with this series, till I hear about the school girls with swords.

lol yeah... I thought it's something like the game Jericho.. description wise.
    with less "horror" of course.
    Hmmmm, but I think I'll still download it to see what it's like

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Well the random killing stops after episode 2. 3 and beyond go back in time to explain WHY this stuff happened. I'm watching this, even if it's just to find out how a really close sister relationship between the girls turned out into the "I fucking hate you" scene in ep2.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    Well the random killing stops after episode 2. 3 and beyond go back in time to explain WHY this stuff happened. I'm watching this, even if it's just to find out how a really close sister relationship between the girls turned out into the "I fucking hate you" scene in ep2.
    Yeah, I'll probably stick to this because I want to find out too. But man... what a total let down. The first episode looked so promising, a group of ghostbusters with guns and all that cool stuff. Those characters in ep 1 were pretty cool too. It sucks they aren't the main characters because it seems like the rest of the show is just going to focus on the sister's relationship and we'll probably see the characters from ep 1 here and there.

It's like the whole scenery/theme just completely changed come episode 2/3 with the inclusion of school girls and swords. I guess what I was hoping for was a more serious and darker series.
    Last edited by Idealistic; Fri, 10-24-2008 at 02:35 AM.

i still think it's pretty darn serious. and i can't imagine it won't be dark and gory either... sure, there are school girls now, but their relationship so far has been very realistic. i like that even the comical or light hearted moments come with a tinge of sadness. it's not like some of the slapstick / absurd humor you see in other shows. the interactions are rather genuinely human, and i really dig that.

i'm actually very glad this isn't about ghost busters with cool weapons. that shit is a dime a dozen these days. the development of the characters leading up to the events of the first two episodes is fine material for a series, at least in my book. there's plenty they can do there, and i don't think they'll throw away the action or the gore.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Hmmm didn't like the first episode and deleted it... it was pretty cool at first and reminded me of the Final Fantasy movie, which was really cool

but when the motorcycle woman appeared with that guy on the back I started to lose interest pretty fast (especially when she "fought" with that bike). Maybe I decided to rashly (since I didn't even watch it till the end) but I don't like it so muchI think it's simply not my type of anime.

maybe I'll pick this up a lot later when the whole batch is avaible and the comments remain positive.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Fri, 10-24-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Go back to Love Hina then. It's an action packed anime, like Macross Zero mixed with blood+.

You like it or you dont.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33
    but when the motorcycle woman appeared with that guy on the back I started to lose interest pretty fast (especially when she "fought" with that bike). Maybe I decided to rashly (since I didn't even watch it till the end) but I don't like it so muchI think it's simply not my type of anime.
    dude, I completely agree with the motorcycle thing and all. But you really have to watch to the end. When I watched the first episode, I thought it was okay, nothing great, and wasn't really that interested, right up until the last few minutes or whatever, when it gets crazy interesting. the ending left me breathless and thirsting for more. which, was more than enough to get me watching the series and anticipating the weekly episode releases.

user posted image