Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Casshern Sins

Genin

Casshern Sins

In the distant future, where cyborgs and humans struggle to survive after the war which destroyed the world, a being in white suit awakens. His name is Casshern and he remembers nothing of his own past.

In barren and dark dystopian world, where every being alive seems to hate his existence and the evil from his past wants him dead, Casshern, haunted by the flashes of his past memories has to survive and figure out who or what exactly he is and how he got to where he is now. But he does not know that he might not like the horrible truth of the past, hidden deep inside his mind...

Two sub groups on on this anime right now.

http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=do...4921]Anonymous
    http://forum.anirena.com/viewtracker...d=14810]AoShen

Series description changed to less spoilerish one from AniDB.
    -Kraco
    Last edited by Kraco; Sun, 10-19-2008 at 07:21 AM.

This seemed like a pretty promising series. It looked, at first, like some superhero or power ranger inspired story as the main character certainly looks like someone out of such media, but the setting itself isn't exactly like that. I also like the straight-forward mentality of the action, though naturally after only one episode it's a bit bold to make any predictions how it might continue.

I watched the Anonymous sub, it being HD and not SD like the AoShen version, but apparently Anonymous won't be subbing the series beyond the first episode so I hope someone else picks it up or AoShen will released also a HD version.

Pretty awesome, the last casshern anime was from 1974 or something, and the movie was pretty cool, so I might pick this up.
    -----------------

hmmm i feel like i have seen this befor those things on his waste he used them to fly or something it was old thats for sure. and he had a a dog and it would turn into a plane and he flew in it? but im pretty sure it was called Casshan.

also i am pretty sure Casshern is in that Capcom vs Tatsunoko game

yup heres a trailer if you care

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...ylist=featured
    Last edited by NeoBear; Sat, 10-04-2008 at 04:12 PM.
    Favorite Gotwoot Mod moment: "Why is everyone in that show black? The art and music are pretty good, and the voice acting is alrite as well......but i can't stand that guy who follows afro around. Hes so, well, black, for the lack of a better term (well thats not true, there is a better term, but i wont use it here)" Assassin

i was raised by this woman =O
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JrR7hPT9Bs

Another sub:

Episode 1 - Shinsen

I'll be getting this one unless a quality group happens to pick up this series.

Just downloaded the Shinsen version, going to watch it soon. But it reminds me of the fact that I bought the live adaptation movie DVD but never did finish watching it. I always seemed to feel extremely sleepy half way in.....
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    i liked the first episode. aside from a few loli leg shots (pervs), it seems to be a show without too many frills, and i like that. the whole 'kick ass robot fighter discovering his personality' reminds me a bit of Kikaider, but in a post-apocalyptic world. pretty good action. i'll keep watching this one.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Sins keep accumulating:

Episode 2 HD - Shinsen
    Episode 2 SD - Shinsen

- - - - - -

I keep liking this series. The atmosphere is really succesful in conveying the end of the world feeling and while amnesia is as overused a plot item as... wanting to kill your brother or something, I think it works really well in this series as the setting is kind of straight-forward (so far at least), and thus facts can be explained in indirect manner that still satisfies the needs. Like Casshern's sudden killing sprees. No corners are cut, either, like this episode demonstrated when Casshern butchered that whole bunch of previously peaceful robots.

It interesting that robots obtain "life" on verge of dying and their self-preservation program kill of that "life" be trying to continue to live by eating Casshern (he is like candle's flame and they are moth drawn to it; if they can resist it they will have "life", if not they will burn).

I really like animation in this series, kinda sets you in mood.

"Life is hilariously cruel" by Bender

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    I already love everything about this show. The apocalyptic ruinous setting, the dark animation that sets it all off, the desperation of the dying robots as they become aware of the surroundings, lolis...

Just amazing. Was the first series anywhere near this dark and foreboding? I might have to pick it up.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic Azazel
    I already love everything about this show. The apocalyptic ruinous setting, the dark animation that sets it all off, the desperation of the dying robots as they become aware of the surroundings, lolis...

Just amazing. Was the first series anywhere near this dark and foreboding? I might have to pick it up.
    I agree. The animation is top notch. His armor reminds me of Megaman. And I love the concept too.
    Last edited by oyabun; Sun, 10-12-2008 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks shinta|hikari for the sig.

Quote Originally Posted by oyabin
    I agree. The animation is top notch. His armor reminds me of Megaman. And I love the concept too.
    THAT's what I was thinking of. And a little of speed racer. I don't know what I think of this yet, it's a little bleak. I'll need to watch more.

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    I've watched the first, and downloaded the second, but have yet to watch it.. I enjoyed the first episode. it seemed really interesting. I like that they try to keep the '70s art style for it. That's pretty cool.

user posted image

i watched episode two before going to bed last night, a casual 'oh, i'll end my evening with this' decision.

wow.

i was floored. there was more thought, poise, emotion and depth in this second episode than I've seen out of full series. the characters, albeit one episode throwaways (sans Friender and maybe the robot who said 'Were we even alive to begin with?') were very well done and even the minor ones (the Juggler comes to mind) were used very well. At around 2/3 of the way I was shocked to check the time and see that it had all been under 20 minutes, as it felt like I'd gotten to know the characters and situation really well.

Root's treachery and the way that all the robots seemed to lose control at the end (including Casshern) were really a shocker for me. The 'Doctor' was a cool character too.

Loved the use of the church as a center of 'faith' for the robots. Instead of using the church as a base for some 'afterlife/eternal salvation' kick like (Christian) humans do, it's a place for the dying to quietly await the empty death that they know is unavoidable.

The music is the one thing that I'm still sorta not too keen on. The old style kabuki theatre shouting track is something I haven't seen used outside of Naruto much (of course period piece animes set in Japan don't count). There's a massive amount of silence. Helps that the atmosphere is so perfectly morbid and devoid of life. It all sorta reminds me of "Now and Then, Here and There", except a totally different character cast and plot line.

I already don't like the vengeful bitch. She did a good job explaining why she would leave him alive, but you just KNOW that all of her anger and spite is going to come undone before the series concludes, and part of me just wishes we could skip that whole angst trip, because it's old hat. God knows that it probably wasn't Casshern's fault that he killed Luna (or that that didn't cause the Ruin, or that it actually saved the world from something even worse), although, if he had been a real bad guy before, and gets his memories back, that'd make for a really nice twist...

The animation is pretty decent, and, as said before, fits the atmosphere of the show rather well. The OP and ED are so low-budget it's great. I think it really shows when a group of people making an anime know that they can't just depend on hit pop-star OP songs and sparkly, top of the line animation to make it a success. Everyone goes a step or two farther than if the whole thing had been handed to them with a golden Sunrise spoon

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Crimson sins:

Episode 3 HD - Shinsen
    Episode 3 SD - Shinsen

- - - - -

Continues as strongly as ever. Casshern seems fated to only have short relationships, but that doesn't mean they are meaningless. This dying human probably taught him a lot and gave a lot to think about, even though it might take him some time to realise that. A pretty nice human as well, all in all, even going to die somewhere else so that Casshern didn't need to see yet another die in his company. I wouldn't have minded him living for two episodes as he was a funny enough fellow. But since we don't know how many eps this is, perhaps they didn't have any more screentime to give him.

The next ep should reveal another interesting character, though, who might teach Casshern yet other things.

Awesome user with default custom title Pandadice's Avatar
    I really liked episode 3. definitely gonna stick with this series. I just hope it's a 26 or less episode series and doesn't go on past that though..

user posted image

i really liked the human guy too. would have been interesting to hear what exactly he did with his life, but i suppose the most important thing was meeting Casshern and helping him get the message that it doesn't matter what you did, but what you do about it now.

after he died, who closed his eyes? it didn't look like his hand. Did Casshern maybe come back to do it? Or...

also, anybody else notice the change in the opening scene? Before we had Casshern crouching in a pool of something (blood?) and Luna coldly asking, "You are?" but in this episode there was the breaking lantern, Casshern walking slowly and then Luna asks, in a much softer, unsure voice, "Who are you?"

probably relates to Casshern slowly uncovering his memories. We'll probably continue to get more and more of that scene at the beginning of each episode, but the fact that it was a little different, especially Luna's tone and words, caught my attention.

Friender is awesome. Also, I almost laughed when he tore Casshern's collar, then a few seconds later it was suddenly back again.

I think his suit is somehow a part of his body. No matter how much he fights, it's always in perfect condition, so I reckon it regenerates fast, either separately or it's indeed like an extra organ. Thus, it didn't even visit my mind there could have been anything wrong with the collar being okay a moment later.

Quote Originally Posted by masamuneehs
    It all sorta reminds me of "Now and Then, Here and There", except a totally different character cast and plot line.
    Agreed, and after Ep 3, iīd even say: Make that human the main character, and you have some kind of scifi-Mushishi.

Awsome setting thatīs perfect for oh so many plots.

But, what i came in here to say:

This is thisī seasonīs highlight, just like Death Note or Guren Lagann have been highlights before. Everyone, watch this!

Just watched the first 3 episodes... very good stuff. Not really in the mood to go into details and theories of things, but the action is awesome... and there's plenty of it.