Thread: TV/Movie General Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I can't believe someone actually said they should do a remake of roots and have all the slaves be white. Wow, now that dude needs to relax and take a break from the internet. Not even Animeniax and Y could be that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    Also, I'm pretty sure Abdula didn't even read the article.
    Yep, I most definitely posted without reading. Who needs to read anything before posting about it?
    >_<
    Last edited by Abdula; Sat, 05-11-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Added sarcasm
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Relevant considering some of the discussions we've been having in the TV/Movies section:

The 5 Most Insulting Defenses of Nerd Racism
    I'm all for keeping to the source content. If the source has a white guy, it seems weird for anyone familiar with it to watch a black version. The brought up the Black Spiderman argument, but I have no reason to believe both arguments were made by the same person, even though I'm sure those who would argue for both exist.

Asians and blacks in Norse mythology also threw me off, and when I saw it I thought it was a Hollywood thing about trying to throw in different races. It just goes back to how things started out. Norse mythology was created by the Nordic, and they'd look Nordic unless specified otherwise. Likewise, gods in Asian mythology looked Asian. It is about race.

The "black sister" comment is.. reasonable. Unless the movie ignores their sibling relationship, or throws in a line to explain the difference in colour people aren't going to default to thinking "one's adopted / interracial marriage / step-sister". The same goes for you going "huh? - .. come again?" when someone introduces you to their two homosexual parents. There's nothing wrong with it, just outside expectations. Checking for confirmation when something is unexpected is completely normal.
    So if the movie throws a curve-ball like that without the "conformational explanation", I can it rubbing people the wrong way.

The prior expectation isn't purely racial (though an element certainly exists). It's a combination of both physical alikeness (parents/siblings are expected to share resemblances, as they often do), likelihood of happening (adoptions and siblings of clearly different colour are a minority) and deviating from the source material.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sat, 05-11-2013 at 11:05 PM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~