Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome

Google Chrome

So Google came out with their own Web Browser... anyone tried it yet?
    http://www.google.com/chrome?hl=en

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Yup I'm currently using it.
    All in all it's not too bad for a 0.2

But the lack for plugins like Adblock (a real dream that one)
    Some little ergonomics to think a little more
    Some little adjusting for webpages (minor, but there...)
    A bit of a cpu hog on older platforms (or I was unlucky with my work laptop)

Then I'd like to be able to choose the sites I want to appear in the quicklink window... or erase those I don't want to appear.
    I'd like to be able to erase entries from the history individually, rather than the whole day
    Etc...

We have to remember it's a 0.2 bêta... Even google can't be perfect from scratch (and it wasn't even from scratch if I understand correctly)

It's fast, really

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Can't download it at work... ironically since we provide gmail in our internet services... that is why I think our IT security 'expert' is an idiot.

Will try later at home.

Hah, I like it. Streamlined.

I'll run it for a few days and see if I keep my opinion.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifus
    Hah, I like it. Streamlined.

I'll run it for a few days and see if I keep my opinion.
    If you have a number of website you need to browse quite a lot, it's fast and easy.

I guess with time it'll get more refined. Like FF did a lot of effort and got better. IE too in fact, due to the pressure.

The thing is that I got immediately hooked to it, even though it's not perfect. Speed is all I guess

Shift+click on a link to open it in a new window
    Ctrl+Click to open it in a new tab in background...

Maybe it lacks a group open, to open multiple tabs at once.

Thing is I want more now... we'll see if google can give us lots of updates.
    I've been using it for 24 hours (well, had work too )

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75
    Ctrl+Click to open it in a new tab in background...
    I bet it would also accept the middle button click like FF...

I'll stick with Firefox. It may not be the fastest browser around, but it's fast enough for me and its abundance of plug-ins really puts it over the top.

I wouldn't mind switching to another browser if it's as feature rich as Firefox.

I just got my computer back, and I've been missing the joys of Firefox, so for now, I'm sticking by it. Maybe in a few weeks I'll try Chrome, but I'm happy with what I have.
    Now 99% disease free!

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    I'll stick with Firefox. It may not be the fastest browser around, but it's fast enough for me and its abundance of plug-ins really puts it over the top.

I wouldn't mind switching to another browser if it's as feature rich as Firefox.
    Yup, Chrome is too young to be the main browser for an internet addict.
    For the moment it's fun for me, So I use it, but eventually I'll go back to my use of Maxthon (IE under hood) and FF with a little touch of Opera...

GIFs devastate Chrome currently, I'm sure it is a beta thing but kind of annoying. Other than that I don't see any real reason to avoid it. Never was a big fan of ad block (just ignored the ads anyways).

Trying it right now, and it's pretty cool, fast. And i really dig the seperate process stuff and build in taskmanager, that's just sexy.

edit: the tabs being on top is a bit of an annoyance when maximized, since my winamp is a bar thats always on top, at the top of my screen, so I can't reach the tabs without moving/minimizing winamp, minor annoyance.
    -----------------

http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/

There's a lot of things addressed in this document that really appeal to me. Too bad there's no mac version
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/

There's a lot of things addressed in this document that really appeal to me. Too bad there's no mac version
    well since it's based on webkit like safari, I guess that when they decide to expand the OSes, Mac users won't be forgotten.
    Last edited by David75; Wed, 09-03-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Pretty sure that there's comming a mac and linux version soon, this is just a beta. One thing that's really good is it that Chrome is open-source. I'm sticking with Opera, at least for now.

Chrome calls home a lot apparently, and sends tidbits back to google whenever you use their "awesome" bar. I can't say I'm really all that surprised, it's google's main business model and google (the site) has increased my search accuracy or at least gets a better idea for what I'm looking for. It also installs a GoogleUpdater.exe that you need to rip out of the registry should you choose to uninstall Chrome.

More disturbing was this, hidden in the EULA.
    [users] give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and nonexclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
    "Services" being the browser itself, but I imagine it was meant to include all the apps they intent to load on the Chrome Platform.

The good news is now Google is claiming that was a mistake, and the change is being made retroactive. [Source: ArsTechnica]

For the most part, I still think it's a mishmash of Firefox and Opera. All the features of the tabs (with the exceptions of the unique processes for each) is straight out of Opera 9.5's UI. This includes the "New Tab Page" which is also better known as Opera's Speed Dial.

I'm going to pass and stick with Opera.

Firefox is a piece of shit that usually occupies the largest percentage of my ram if I keep it running for half a day. The problem is exactly what chrome addresses: garbage collection.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    More disturbing was this, hidden in the EULA."Services" being the browser itself, but I imagine it was meant to include all the apps they intent to load on the Chrome Platform.
    At least it's nonexclusive...

I didn't actually run to FF among the first back then, only switching to it from IE once I learned about the tabbed browsing, so I suppose I'm not really a very big browser enthusiast. I might have a look at Chrome once the next version comes out. It should have all or most user reported problems fixed and thus should be a lot better.

I'm not a browser enthusiast....i'm an RIA enthusiast
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Did you leave out the other A?

I'm not a big browser guy either. Just gimme my webpages and the rest of the knick knacks can take a rest, dagnabit.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    did you guys read the terms and conditions when you installed it? I don't like them

if you use the browser in connection with your own copyrelated material by uploading it on your webspace for example (photos, own songs, own videos, art) you allow them to use it...and in general, it saves a lot of stuff about you, for example on which sites you browse plus; they create a individual ID for every chrome user... if you write down your adress somewhere, it will save it and probably use it.

Firefox is a piece of shit that usually occupies the largest percentage of my ram if I keep it running for half a day. The problem is exactly what chrome addresses: garbage collection.
    Oo FF doesn't need "a lot of RAM" it's actually pretty normal... but chrome and the new IE8 do, if you open ~10 sites at once it will use up to 180 RAM at the moment (because it opens a new process everytime you open a new browser window or even tab, which isn't bad btw but it needs a lot of virtual memory)... windows only occupies 150MB... this very is shocking.imho...
    a *browser* needs more RAM than your system.

however IE8 needs less memory than Chrome which uses the same "1 tab 1 process system"

since chrome is also open source (like Safari or FF) it will get a lot better once it's final... but right now, it's shit simply because it saves so much stuff about you. (this will be removed by other users who have some knowledge with about;config... I do not ^^)

use FF3, it *is* one of the fastet at the moment. and you can always tune it btw..
    there are a lot of sites which can give you the right config for your computer
    FF3.1 will be even faster than chrome most likely.

btw I found a english-speaking site where they made a test..
    Chrome, the "fattest" of them all

so if you alrdy complain about FF using too much of your RAM, you shouldn't even try Chrome...

for me, I'll wait till it's final and test it again. (with a modified config)
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Thu, 09-04-2008 at 12:09 PM.