Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Google Chrome

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    well okay thats very unlike unless there is a second process called firefox.exe ^_^

I just don't understand why my firefox isn't occupying if I leave it be as it is... and didn't do anything special with it :/

it only rises when I'm browsing, because it saves the sites I loaded and also adds them to the history.. but thats normal.. and if i ever notice it to get too hight (never did that before) I could just minimize it... or restart it and have it reloading my sites.

btw I don't know if one of the links I posted did tell you how to make FF stop using your ram and make it possible for windows to use it for other programms instead...but that is also possible, maybe this can help you too. ^^

but it's just as I said.. I would either use Safari or FF... and not Google Chrome as long as it is a beta

see the link with security holes... and don't underestimate it, Chrome is beeing discussed in a lot of forums at the moment and on a gaming forum (for WoW) 2 people had to reinstall windows most likely because of google chrome.

I can't really speak on behalf of google chrome itself, since I haven't had the opportunity to use it. I just think that the problems google is attempting to address with current browsers is very important, and far better than just accepting things for the way they are...

Some people decide to look the other way, and refuse to acknowledge Firefox's inherent problems, but instead tailor their own environment and habits to cope with the software. That's called fanboyism. Firefox is my main browser, because I like some of the plugins like adblock and web developer, but I have no qualms with opening Safari when I need to use something fast and light-weight.

I don't know any browser right now that I could consider flawless, so the progress that the google team has been making is very important to me.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn

I don't know any browser right now that I could consider flawless, so the progress that the google team has been making is very important to me.
    well why?

chrome isn't flawless either, the only good thing is that they at least "tried" to use all the good things from other browsers

1 tab = 1 process from IE8
    speed + webkit of Safari

etc. I just hope that FF and others got somehow encouraged to do it better. (but without rushing things like google did)

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33
    well why?

chrome isn't flawless either, the only good thing is that they at least "tried" to use all the good things from other browsers

1 tab = 1 process from IE8
    speed + webkit of Safari

etc. I just hope that FF and others got somehow encouraged to do it better. (but without rushing things like google did)
    Thats why I said I don't know any browser right now that I could consider flawless.
    On the plus side for google, security holes should be easier to patch than memory leak holes.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Well since they're all free, there's not much room to complain I guess.

I left FF 3.01 running for 9 hours with 9 tabs open, never went beyond 130MB. Maybe it's a plugin or the type of sites you're visiting? I had 3 news sites, 2 forums, 2 mail sites, and 2 shopping sites open.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

This is the VERY FIRST beta release of chrome and people are comparing it to browsers that have been on the market for over a decade. They must have done something right if they got that good of penetration with a first beta release.

Yeah there are lots of problems, but thats the entire point of both open source and beta testing.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHavoc
    Yeah there are lots of problems, but thats the entire point of both open source and beta testing.

yap "beta testing"... that would be fine if it's a closed beta

but it's stupid to make it avaible for the public and say "ok... now let the masses do all the mistakes and suffer the consequences"
    it's irresponsible to release a totally unfinished browser which might fuck up parts of your system or crash it due to security holes or bad programming

a browser is not a computer game... *img* the internet, is serious business" */img*

Let us not forget the other popular app of google's that remains in beta after four YEARS:
    GMail.

When Google says "beta," they don't really mean it. I don't really know what their angle is about leaving things in beta forever, but it might have something to do with undermining user's grounds for complaining. That is the most common rebuttal by proponents of any software when it's a little buggy or otherwise flakey.

Mail outages, Mail not working right, messages lost?
    "It's beta. What did you expect?"

well it's reasonable for a short while at least, it hasn't been out for 4 years. The main reason for the open beta was to work ground up building was the public wants, so instead of throwing a shit ton of features and releasing it for testing they release a relatively featureless version and work from ground up in open testing. The security crap is expected, it's a brand new browser. I'm betting they don't have a big enough budget for hardcore internal testing/testers, so using the public works for both getting the word out and clogging holes. You know it's early beta for the first while, if you don't like that concept come back in a few months and see if progress has been made. it's like people complaining when testing an MMO in beta and saying it's shite. I thought that of DAoC at first glance, but after release I ended up playing it for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHavoc
    . The security crap is expected, it's a brand new browser.
    oh come on
    I'm betting they don't have a big enough budget for hardcore internal testing/testers, so using the public works for both getting the word out and clogging holes.
    you know, we are talking about google here..
    GOOGLE!!!!!!!
    ever heard of the 1,7Billion$ purchase of youtube for example?
    they have probably hundreds of billion of dollars... in cash on hand because of their shares etc.

even FF get their money from google.

and as I said it's irresponsible to use the masses for finding security holes... it's no fun if you end up loosing all your data (for work for example) and have to install the whole system again.

You know it's early beta for the first while, if you don't like that concept come back in a few months and see if progress has been made. it's like people complaining when testing an MMO in beta and saying it's shite. I thought that of DAoC at first glance, but after release I ended up playing it for 3 years.
    even DAoC had a closed beta, the open beta is only for testing server preformance and finding the smallest issues which are left after a long-long closed beta time.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Mon, 09-08-2008 at 06:42 AM.

They're not making any profit on their browser though.......
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

they are

not in the beta maybe but when it goes final you'll probably get a lot of "google ads" specialized on your Chrome ID and so on.

I don't know for sure though

they are

not in the beta maybe but when it goes final you'll probably get a lot of "google ads" specialized on your Chrome ID and so on.

I don't know for sure though
    Nah....the only form of advertising will be via shortcuts in the browser to their RIAs, and their search engine will be thoroughly integrated as well. Basically increasing traffic to their stuff which, subsequently, will host ads. That's fine with me though, I use their apps anyway.

I like your "the man's always got me down" mentality though.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

you know, we are talking about google here..
    GOOGLE!!!!!!!
    ever heard of the 1,7Billion$ purchase of youtube for example?
    they have probably hundreds of billion of dollars... in cash on hand because of their shares etc.

even FF get their money from google.
    Google has ALOT of projects and upkeep. they don't throw their entire worth into one project at a time. I used to work for RIM, budgeting was tight shit there, and trust me they had boatloads of money to spend on some really stupid crap (company concerts for instance) but they keep it tight when it came to actual projects.

Throwing shitloads of money at something dosn't mean it'll work. Look at microsoft for a prime example of that.

I don't think its a "money problem" to hire 2-3 "hackers" who test it a bit for a month....

Banned
    I don't think its a "money problem" to hire 2-3 "hackers" who test it a bit for a month....
    Why only for a month? Hire them for a long time. Any dot-com should have white, black and gray. And keep them for a long time. They're vital.

Because they get complacent and spend all their time playing WoW. Plus your typical hacker will get bored and want to move on to new challenges and higher pay.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    After using Google chrome everyday since its release:
    I do not use FF or Maxthon anymore... in fact only for very specific use where I can't trust Chrome yet.

Why?
    It's fast, really, and since I have a pool of site I browse quite a lot, only speed matters.
    There's not much advertising on those sites too, so that's ok.

Because the major problem is ads with google chrome, you get to see how crippled the internets have become.... quite horrible.

I did not experience any particular trouble I can remember.

So I sum things up by saying:
    It's a spartan beta, you can't fine tune it to your specific ways of browsing, but being fast, it clearly outclasses the others.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.