Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Movie: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Movie: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

New trailer came out recently:
    http://www.moviefone.com/movie/harry...nce/27063/main

Voldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him for the final battle that he knows is fast approaching. Together they work to find the key to unlock Voldemort's defenses and, to this end, Dumbledore recruits his old friend and colleague, the well-connected and unsuspecting bon vivant Professor Horace Slughorn, whom he believes holds crucial information. Meanwhile, the students are under attack from a very different adversary as teenage hormones rage across the ramparts. Harry finds himself more and more drawn to Ginny, but so is Dean Thomas. And Lavender Brown has decided that Ron is the one for her, only she hadn't counted on Romilda Vane's chocolates! And then there's Hermione, simpering with jealously but determined not to show her feelings. As romance blossoms, one student remains aloof. He is determined to make his mark, albeit a dark one. Love is in the air, but tragedy lies ahead and Hogwarts may never be the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu
    As romance blossoms, one student remains aloof. He is determined to make his mark, albeit a dark one.
    took me a second to remember who this was referring to. i'm still not happy with michael gambon's dumbledore, but looking forward to this movie all the same. thanks!

Just throwing this out there as a preemptive strike:

NO SPOILERS!
    Last edited by Munsu; Thu, 07-31-2008 at 01:30 AM.

The last movie was absolutely terrible, even to someone who doesn't remember what happened in the previous books. But I will still attempt to watch this one, since Azkaban was so badass.

This looks like it can be even more badass.
    Last edited by Sapphire; Thu, 07-31-2008 at 08:16 AM.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by saman
    took me a second to remember who this was referring to. i'm still not happy with michael gambon's dumbledore, but looking forward to this movie all the same. thanks!
    I agree he does a terrible Dumbledore. You can tell he's never read the books or seen the other movies, or maybe he just wants to put his own spin on the character. Richard Harris, R.I.P., was the perfect Dumbledore.
    I never liked how the movies completely removed the relevance of the Weasley twins. They're so important to the books, but barely used in the movies.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Meh... this movies are just visual fanservice. Everything of importance is removed from the books. Im actually surprised they will show Lavender Brown for the first time. I mean... come on! She was supposed to be seen since movie 1!!

Still... trailer looks acceptable.

Yeah, the thing about this Dumbledore is he always looks clueless. The actor in the first movie did a great job though.....

Blog Entries
    I totally agree with you guys, the first guy was a perfect dumbledore just like i pictured the character while reading the book. He had the voice, the attitude, the look... everything!
    This guys sucks by comparison...

i just hope that this movie is worth watching cause i already read all the 7 books and i liked the story. hope they make this a movie worth watching for the fans. i only watched the first 2, but didn't watch the others. maybe i should rent it or buy a dvd?

Why, did book 6 hold a special place in your heart? If movies 3-5 weren't worth watching to you, there's no reason to expect or care for 6 to be any better.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Looking forward to this one. I've enjoyed all the movies so far - this is despite the fact they left a lot of important book content out throughout the series and how the new Dumbledore sucks.

I think I'd enjoy them no matter what; it's just nice to see them on the silver screen so you can compare the scenes to how you imagined them when reading the book for the first time. I'm pretty easy to please in that regard. When I read books and see a movie later, even if I found the interpretation lacking and/or completely different, I can still say "that was an interesting interpretation" and be satisfied by it.

The trailer looks pretty badass. I don't know how they're gonna market this as a kids movie, considering some of the book's content. They'll probably just kiddie it down a lot I suppose.
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day

I'll admit I do want to see how they handle the climax in the story of this book.

Anyone else interested that JK Rowling's Tales of Beetle the Bard will be in print by the end of the year?

that's pretty sweet, about beedle the bard. i hadn't heard about that. honestly, i'd probably buy and read anything jk rowling writes in the forseeable future. the woman is a genius.

people... go talk about that book on the book section.
    those are spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by RyougaZell
    people... go talk about that book on the book section.
    those are spoilers
    I don't see any spoilers. PM which you think are spoilers because I really don't see any.

Although the minor spoiler was brought to my attention. I'll let it slide for the moment. Please don't discuss or reveal names of characters, objects (includes book titles, weapons, etc.), magic spells, and/or terms that are of any particular importance, relevance or simply taken from future stories of Harry Potter that have yet to be presented on the films released to date.
    Last edited by Munsu; Mon, 08-04-2008 at 05:03 PM.

I dont like it when fans of the HP series get anal about the movies....the movies aren't bad in and of themselves. They're entertaining to watch and the story is easy enough to follow without having prior knowledge from the books. As long as you've seen previous movies you wont be lost.

The only reason everyone else hates them is cuz they dont live up to thier expectations from when they read the book. Yes, they leave out alot of stuff, some thats probably even significant, but it hasn't effected the movies at all. that is to say, its not noticeable to anyone who doesn't already know that something's being left out. With the size of the books, and with the fantasy genre in general, its impossible to show everything in a 2 hour movie. Just because they skipped a scene or a character doesn't make it a bad movie. Infact, if its a popular movie despite all the stuff left out, i'd say they did a fantastic job in making the movie.

The typical counter to your displeasure is that while they did a good job making the movies they did not do a good (enough) job adapting the books. When movie producers claim to be adapting particular books into movies rather than adapting fictional universes into movies (a la Super Hero movies) I think fans of the original have some justification for judging the movies on the basis of how well they accomplished the adaptation from book to screen (aka whining, since it's impossible to perfectly adapt a book into a movie) regardless of how good the movie is. But I agree, being a poor adaptation of an original certainly doesn't have any bearing on whether a movie is a good movie or not.

Since I refuse to read the books for personal reasons the movies are all I have to get into the Harry Potter universe. They have certainly done a great job of pulling me in more with each film. The penchant for talking about plot points possessed by both Potter fans and the anti-Potter-fan community has lead to massive spoilage but I'm still interested in where the story will go with respect to the one or two things I haven't been spoiled on yet. Especially given the darkening trend of the last few movies.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Tue, 08-05-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Also, a lot of Harry Potter fans are more like fanatics, just like LotR fans, so they're very critical of any adaptation or representation of the characters and world. I'm still expecting some company to make an Harry Potter MMORPG to get kids online sooner and off the mean streets.

Meh, personally only 2 or 3 things have dissapointed me for not being on the movies, not because I wanted them to be there, but because they were important for the future.

Apart from that... I've actually liked them all. I'm even considering getting them on blu-ray, but I think its not worth it while I don't get an HD tv first.

I can't help but compare the movies to the books, but trying to imagine the movies on their own, I would say they would not be successful beyond the first 2. I found at least movies 3 and 4 to be lacking in depth of character development and storyline. I think in fact that the producers/director relied on the books to help fill in the gaps in the movie, so if you hadn't read the books, the movies left you kind of unsatisfied.