Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: What I don't get...

The verb comes last in Japanese too. It's subject, direct object, verb.

For descriptors, it's subject, verb, such as "I am fat" would be "[I] fat am" where the [I] is not spoken but understood.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Lately I've been seeing this a lot even on here. I really don't get why people have to shorten everything into an acronym, is it really that hard to type out a few extra letters or use a phase that would help people better understand what you're trying to say? Do they think it makes them look cool or are they just lazy? Maybe it is just me.

p.s. most of the commercials now are retarded. One that particularly annoys me is the new Geico commercial where they have a taste test for car insurance, how much more unrelated and asinine can you get.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrage View Post
    Lately I've been seeing this a lot even on here. I really don't get why people have to shorten everything into an acronym, is it really that hard to type out a few extra letters or use a phase that would help people better understand what you're trying to say? Do they think it makes them look cool or are they just lazy? Maybe it is just me.
    It depends on the community and the context of the subject. In the Yugioh Trading Card Game (YGO TCG), we definitely see a shit load of acronyms in almost every post, but it's universally understood because it's the language of the game. Most posters will often assume that the audience knows what they're talking about - sometimes forgetting that not all of the audience is from their particular country or even continent.

I agree with you that it definitely gets annoying, but people get used to it - I mean, remember "LOL"? Yeah, that shit is easy to remember now and is pretty universal on the net after being repeated to nearly infinity. Now you have shit like "IKR", "AFAIK", "OP", etc. and it definitely gets annoying because it's new, ambiguous and shouldn't even be considered as an acronym, but times change. In contrast, readers should also spend the 10 seconds to type it up on Google to see what the phrase means as well.

I'm not talking about "Lol", or other Aol; Aim counterparts. I'm talking about very obscure acronyms that can have multiple meaning or it doesn't exists when you google it (I have and it doesn't just take ten seconds). The only person who knows what it means is the person using it. My solutions; consider their opinion void, until they can communicate in a social setting.
    ___

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I'm not talking about "Lol", or other Aol; Aim counterparts. I'm talking about very obscure acronyms that can have multiple meaning or it doesn't exists when you google it (I have and it doesn't just take ten seconds). The only person who knows what it means is the person using it. My solutions; consider their opinion void, until they can communicate in a social setting.
    Have you got any examples just so we can see how obscure these acronyms are?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Have you got any examples just so we can see how obscure these acronyms are?
    Sure I do. But I rather end this discussions here, because anytime I reply to your comments I have this undying urge to insult you. Which can be quite tedious and counterproductive, so for the sake of civility I choose to leave things as is because it's just an observation, further discussion doesn't change anything and because it is not worth the time and effort.
    Last edited by dragonrage; Tue, 05-01-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    ___

Wow that is crazy extreme. Buff has made many good anime posts or some shit. God I can't even keep this up I don't read the anime forum.

That's a strategy for getting his attention. By claiming to not want to elaborate, he'll make Buff want it more. Then Buff will do anything to get him to talk. Anything.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

civil.jpg

If you don't want to be civil we don't have to be. Just because a thread was deleted doesn't mean the opinions, stance and outlook disappeared. Did you not believe me what I said I lost all respect for you and I believe you're a Pedophile, Buff?

Kraco:

What's the point of Private messages or taking it to the Pit? Do you want things to become down right vindictive? The closest you can get to being civil is a mutual understanding of avoidance. My opinion of him is not going to change and I don't believe he is either.

Do you want me to create a thread just so I can "personal attack" him?
    Last edited by dragonrage; Wed, 05-02-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    ___

If you don't want to be civil we don't have to be. Just because a thread was deleted doesn't mean the opinions, stance and outlook disappeared. Did you not believe me what I said I lost all respect for you and I believe you're a Pedophile, Buff?
    What I don't get is that people can't understand General Discussion threads aren't meant for personal attacks.

Take it to the Pit or private messages.

Edit: Since there was apparently something left ambiguous, let me rephrase it: The topic is not open to discussion in this thread.
    Last edited by Kraco; Wed, 05-02-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Kraco, Buffalobiian's champion and voice, who knew......

Enjoy,

Laters.

p.s. delete my posts as much as you like, doesn't make them any less true.

"birds of a feather....."

edit:

sigh* this is pointless.

To all those that use this thread for the intended purposes my apologies for it going off topic, which means I'm done and I'll try to keep my disdain for the "censored word" to a minimum.

Please pardon the intrusion.
    Last edited by dragonrage; Wed, 05-02-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    ___

What I don't get is the message behind the last few posts..can some one explain?
    -----------------

Did paypal just raise/add to the fees for currency conversions and such, or did they just spell it out more clearly?

They were the best way to pay in foreign currency by far. Now I'm not so sure.

I've also noticed merchants charging extra for paypal now like how restaurants charge for Amex.

I always thought that PayPal were profiting from their own currency conversion system that differ from banks or places where you can convert different currencies.

Hmm, not sure if this can help you, but this is the fee for paying customers:

https://www.paypal.com/ca/cgi-bin/ma...side&nav=0.0.5

As for merchants:

https://cms.paypal.com/ca/cgi-bin/ma.../merchant_fees

I'd say that you might be seeing a higher fee in your transactions because merchants are required to pay a fee for the transaction. Merchants will always say that they'll have to pass this fee along to their customers to pay for. In fact, I'm not too sure about Amex, but retailers and businesses lose a ton of money (100 times more than debit) when their customers use a premium credit card here in Canada. It wouldn't be surprising to see merchants passing the hefty credit card costs to their customers to make up for the loss because people aren't usually subjected to price discrimination via method of payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkoujin
    I'd say that you might be seeing a higher fee in your transactions because merchants are required to pay a fee for the transaction.
    That's definitely the case. It's not like they snuck in or anything. The merchants will specify the surcharge for the payment option when it's time to choose on the site. It's just that I hadn't noticed them charging it before and simply swallowed the cost - and therefore wondered if paypal overall is jacking up their fees.

I did a personal transfer not too long ago on there and it also charged me a slight fee that did not used to exist.

It wouldn't be surprising to see merchants passing the hefty credit card costs to their customers to make up for the loss because people aren't usually subjected to price discrimination via method of payment.
    Yeah, as much as I don't like it, it's up to the business how they wish to operate. What really puts me off a bit is how some smaller places don't even take debit cards. It's almost as inconvenient as going to a toilet without toilet paper (a norm in some countries, but not in mine).

Just watch True Grit from 2010. I don't get why this movie was rated so highly and critically acclaimed and all that. Boring movie from what I saw (I was playing Diablo 3 at the same time). It's a remake of what is supposed to be a classic, but it looked like a crappy western complete with stilted acting and corny lines.

It's all subjective. I actually enjoyed the 2010 version a lot more than the original.

Do you like any western movies?

Quote Originally Posted by fahoumh View Post
    It's all subjective. I actually enjoyed the 2010 version a lot more than the original.

Do you like any western movies?
    I love westerns, or at least I did when I was younger, especially Clint Eastwood's movies. I think the last western I enjoyed was 3:10 to Yuma.

The acting in True Grit was wooden, particularly the lead actress. And none of the characters were memorable or endearing. I'm surprised it garnered so much praise and dozens of awards. My only interest in it was that a classmate was an extra playing one of the townsfolk. I didn't pay enough attention to the movie to ever notice him in any scenes.

With you 100% Ani. I love westerns and the original True Grit was one of my favorite movies. I was really looking forward to the remake, especially since the remake of 3:10 to Yuma was so good, but True Grit was terrible. Jeff Bridges just did not capture what John Wayne was and whoever that actress was she was terrible.
    Last edited by Abdula; Wed, 05-30-2012 at 10:33 PM.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

true grit was a terrible movie....