Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What I don't get...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    I've found in this life that too many people want to be superstars when the world needs more cogs for the machine.
    Oh no...a lot of people I talk to are afraid of taking chances and, while I don't sympathize with that sentiment, I am certainly glad these people exist, because the greatest asset of a business owner is his employees.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    What I don't get is employee mentality.
    company pride/spirit, corporate politics, climbing the business ladder.

For some reason people love this stuff. I don't understand it.
    The Onion producers must visit these forums:
    Young people remain apathetic about office politics

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

thats because you get just as much $$ by jumping from one freelance job to another. In the coporate world, people have to resort to other methods for the same rewards.

For me its about stability. I've never wanted to be my own boss because I lack the motivation and I don't want all the responsibility. I've known people who worked for temp agencies and moved from job to job every couple of weeks or months, but that was never for me because there's no stability. When the IT job bubble burst in the early 2000s, the temp jobs dried up and these guys were out of work for months at a time. I plodded along in my company, getting yearly merit bonuses, transfers, and promotions.

I don't like corporate politics, but it's the same anywhere in life: scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. But I still just do my job and hope someone notices the effort, which they have. I was with that company for 7 years before leaving and I plan to go back to them after I get a degree.

I wish we could go back to the times when companies took care of employees so employees took care of the company. Now its all foreign investment and cutting jobs and getting rid of pensions and lazy employees who don't care about their company's (and therefore their own) success.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

I've never wanted to be my own boss because I lack the motivation and I don't want all the responsibility. I've known people who worked for temp agencies and moved from job to job every couple of weeks or months, but that was never for me because there's no stability. When the IT job bubble burst in the early 2000s, the temp jobs dried up and these guys were out of work for months at a time. I plodded along in my company, getting yearly merit bonuses, transfers, and promotions.
    I am the complete opposite. I would much rather be my own boss, and I am! I run my own website development business (unfortunately only on the side for now, hopefully later on I will be making enough out of it through update fees and large waves of clients through past referrals). I've made several thousand so far in very little time, and hopefully the trend will continue (if anyone here needs a website, just let me know! I'll give a special gotwoot discount )

The reason I like being my own boss is that I don't like the feeling of working under someone. I like the feeling of being completely in control. It just bothers me to know that at any moment my boss can come up to me and tell me to clean the coffee spill on his desk (I know I'm exaggerating lol, but you get my point). As the head of my web design business, I can take breaks when I want for however long I want (as long as I make sure to have the client's project done on time), and have the pleasure of feeling powerful when I tell other people what to do (of course in a nice and polite way). I don't mean to sound snobbish, as I definitely do NOT like to boss people around. I am just saying I like the feeling of being in charge. Is that wrong?

Nothing wrong with that, since you seem to love what you do. Like a musician or an artist, you want control over your product, including time-lines and final output. If I cared more about the field I am in, I'd want more control and to be the boss, but that's not the case for me. In the service industry, you're beholden to your client, and management often has to give in to their requests, so really everyone answers to someone, including you with your clients.

It's often said that small business owners work more hours than salary guys, but I guess you get to enjoy more of the success if it comes to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by lelouch
    I am the complete opposite. I would much rather be my own boss, and I am! I run my own website development business (unfortunately only on the side for now, hopefully later on I will be making enough out of it through update fees and large waves of clients through past referrals). I've made several thousand so far in very little time, and hopefully the trend will continue (if anyone here needs a website, just let me know! I'll give a special gotwoot discount )

The reason I like being my own boss is that I don't like the feeling of working under someone. I like the feeling of being completely in control. It just bothers me to know that at any moment my boss can come up to me and tell me to clean the coffee spill on his desk (I know I'm exaggerating lol, but you get my point). As the head of my web design business, I can take breaks when I want for however long I want (as long as I make sure to have the client's project done on time), and have the pleasure of feeling powerful when I tell other people what to do (of course in a nice and polite way). I don't mean to sound snobbish, as I definitely do NOT like to boss people around. I am just saying I like the feeling of being in charge. Is that wrong?
    That's one reason I became a freelance flash developer.
    The other is that I like change too much, and I can't see any better way to access change than to have complete freedom of choice. Also, I hate the idea of other people profiting from my hard work.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

What I don't get is fashion trends. How do fashion trends start and catch on? Somebody out there has to take the initiative and dress like a douche, and surprisingly, others follow suit. Eventually, millions of people start dressing that way. Then all of a sudden, someone takes the initiative and dresses differently. Rinse and repeat.

This cycle never ceases to amaze me.

It's like the term "pwn." ONE person out there accidentally wrote "pwn" and a couple other people happened to see it. Before you know it, millions of people in the world are now using this term like it's a real word and has been for decades.

Magazines, super models, and affordabillity.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

@BoC I choose to just believe what they said in Devil Wears Prada. It starts with someone with the power of mass media behind them choosing something they like and showcasing it. A random fashion editor/group of fashion editors looks at all the newest works of the major designers and based on what they like decide what gets to be popularized in their magazines and thus be 'fashionable'. From the gold standard magazines 'fashion' trickles down into everything else as the non-big names attempt to adapt what they sell to whatever has been deemed 'fashionable'.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Fri, 07-18-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    And there's nothing really wrong with it either. Sure, it's only one of the many outlooks/mentality you can have about life, but it's probably the boring one, and one that's taught to you rather than learnt yourself. But for people like me who have yet to find their direction in life, following that general trend keeps you from stagnating into nothingness.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

There are 5,000+ members registered at GotWoot forums.

Only three or four post everyday.

When did GotWoot become such a ghost town?

I think more than 3 or 4 post everyday. Maybe 9-10 people.

I asked a similar question not long ago. I think part of it is because it's summer vacation. The other part is that AOne doesn't sub Naruto anymore, so people don't come here to download the torrent or stay to discuss the episode.

What I don't get is, in Will Smith's song "Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It", he claims he likes Cuban cigars "for the look, but I don't light it". So basically he's admitting he's a poser. Why would he do that?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I think more than 3 or 4 post everyday. Maybe 9-10 people.

I asked a similar question not long ago. I think part of it is because it's summer vacation. The other part is that AOne doesn't sub Naruto anymore, so people don't come here to download the torrent or stay to discuss the episode.
    Plus, they're not speedsubbers, who generally attract a lot of attention and traffic, nor do they release discussion worthy subs regularly. Don't get me wrong, I love you guys, and just keep doing what you do. It's just that you can't help but deny that it's the reason for members going idle.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Because fashion is more important to him than character?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    Because fashion is more important to him than character?
    Or it could be that he had to do multiple shots for the video, and lighting a new cigar in each one for few seconds of footage would be a huge waste.

Oh snaps. That's actually neat. Think of him incorporating that into his song lyrics just to save money on the video. Oh Will, that money saver.

Ani: Why do you know the lyrics to Gettin Jiggy With It?

Some critic once said that Will Smith makes rap accessible to white America. While I'm not a white American, the sentiment still applies to me. I actually liked this song too, as much as I liked MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This".

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    Or it could be that he had to do multiple shots for the video, and lighting a new cigar in each one for few seconds of footage would be a huge waste.
    He could have sold each one on eBay and made millions.

For sale: Cuban cigar used in rap music video, only lit once, guaranteed to contain an ounce of spit and teeth marks from celebrity actor/singer Will Smith, starting bid $5.

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    That's funny...most rap records are sold to "white america", and will smith just isn't very relevant in the scene, clubs, or anything else involving rap and hip hop. Not even at the time the song came out. Rap is plenty accessible to "white america."

Edited to turn gibberish into english.
    Last edited by Uchiha Barles; Wed, 07-30-2008 at 08:42 AM.

What I don't get is, if your avatar represents you, why do guys use a picture of some hot chick as their avatar?