Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: What I don't get...

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    I stuck my webcam in front of my dog's face last night and went on Chatroulette, speaking to people as if I were him, and I'm legitimately surprised that I had far more conversations with men than women.

Guys were more likely to say stuff like "Hey it's a dog!" "Hello dog!" and most of the girls gave him a disgusted look and nexted me immediately.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Xan you always design the most interesting social experiments. I love it.

Well, it didn't start out as an experiment. Just a trend I noticed.

The only females to have a conversation with my dog were a group of 3 Korean girls, an elderly woman from France, and a girl cuddling with her boyfriend. All the rest (at least 12 or 13) were males from every age group.

Though admittedly, it might have something to do with the ratio of men to women on the site. Next time I'm stuck inside and bored, I'm gonna do this right. Comparing males and females encountered to males and females willing to have a conversation with a doggie.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Korean girls talking to your dog? They were probably looking for dinner.

I saw the Daily Show take on chatroulette. They were making fun of other news outlets for saying what dangers lurk on this new chatroulette that's taking the world by storm... the same dangers that have existed on every other video service on the internet since it's inception.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

I'd love to chat with a dog. I've never heard of chatroulette though....
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

It's a video chat site where you randomly video chat with someone for as long as you like or immediately pass them and move on to the next random chat. In the news report expose, the reporter moved from chat to chat, and one of the chats was a guy standing in his birthday suit.

It's all the rage on the internet.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyke
    I'd love to chat with a dog. I've never heard of chatroulette though....
    Here's the Daily Show segment Animeniax mentioned: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...--chatroulette

It's good for a laugh, but at least half of the matches will give you some guy either rubbing his crotch, or out and out masturbating. The people who stuck around for a conversation with my dog were really nice though.

Haha that was pretty good.
    -----------------

The entire "reporters on chatroulette" thing reminded me of when Jane Pauley (another well known news mouthpiece) did a segment about the internet way back around 1995. She was giddy with excitement, calling herself a newbie and using some other n00b tech jargon. I hate pop media.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    When I run my teeth itch. I think it's more the lower front gums, and it tends to happen after exerting myself a bit, such as a short sprint.

I haven't been able to find an answer. Anybody else have this Run'n Itch Syndrome?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Hah - I accidentally emailed my dad the following rant:

If people can admit that psychosis exists why can't they admit ADD exists? The inability to pay attention - is that really so hard to believe? Not saying that it's not over-diagnosed - it certainly is. But people who write off an entire issue as laziness... just seems ignorant to me.

-------------

Anyway - ADD. I do believe it exists, but I believe this disorder can be overcome by a majority of people afflicted by it (even if the people actually afflicted by it are only a small fraction of those diagnosed) with sheer will. Your thoughts?
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    Hah - I accidentally emailed my dad the following rant:

If people can admit that psychosis exists why can't they admit ADD exists? The inability to pay attention - is that really so hard to believe? Not saying that it's not over-diagnosed - it certainly is. But people who write off an entire issue as laziness... just seems ignorant to me.

-------------

Anyway - ADD. I do believe it exists, but I believe this disorder can be overcome by a majority of people afflicted by it (even if the people actually afflicted by it are only a small fraction of those diagnosed) with sheer will. Your thoughts?
    This reminds me of an episode of South Park: Sit down and study!

I don't get the point of "equaliser pre-sets" you have on music players.

If a certain genre was to typically have certain frequencies boosted/weakened, then wouldn't it be done in the recording studio already?

To me, equalisers' only real point is to counter any deviations your sound equipment or room acoustics would have, in order to achieve a flat output response.

Presets won't let you do that.

Are they just a gimmick, or do they actually have a proper use?

I think equalizers are for the artsy-fartsy musical types who pretend they can actually tell the difference with the slightest changes in music. It's similar to TVs advertising 16 million color reproduction when the human eye can't see even a small fraction of that. I suppose it lets people feel special like they have some uncommon ability.

And guys who can tell the difference(even the slightest) hate equalizers because they usually ruin the music..
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Sometimes they work well for talk radio. I can turn the volume down on the stations that use weaker power, which normally make me crank the volume to hear it in my poorly sound-insulated car with its noisy winter tires.

That's about all the presets are good for.

...and sometimes they make the station even more tinny, or worse, even painful on the ears during volume spikes.

It seems to me that between real speakers (stuff sounds as intended) and headphones with the obviously reduced bass output, a preset equalizer trying to compensate for that might be useful.

At least that's what I've been using a preset equalizer setting for ages on my mini hifi stereo system to which my computer is connected. Since I use 99% of time headphones, not speakers. Though I have somewhat decent German headphones, not some made in China bubbles, so I might be slightly off topic considering Bill's original question (if he meant portable mp3 players and such).

Indeed, if you are wearing some decent cans, some preset can actually improve your experience, which is entirely subjective ofcourse. You should try increase clarity without gaining too much distortion (to be noticable). Also decent phones and even some of the in-ear earbuds definitly benefit from a "bass-boost" setting.

The reason why the studio doesn't do this themselves, is because not everyone has speakers with drivers that can produce the extra range reasonably distortion free, in fact, most people don't. Also like I said, what gains are preferable is entirely subjective.
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    It seems to me that between real speakers (stuff sounds as intended) and headphones with the obviously reduced bass output, a preset equalizer trying to compensate for that might be useful.

At least that's what I've been using a preset equalizer setting for ages on my mini hifi stereo system to which my computer is connected. Since I use 99% of time headphones, not speakers. Though I have somewhat decent German headphones, not some made in China bubbles, so I might be slightly off topic considering Bill's original question (if he meant portable mp3 players and such).
    I meant any media player, such as portable ones (ipods), and software ones (WMP).

@real speakers: equalisers are supposed to be used when real speakers are in use as well to compensate for room acoustics, standing waves and such in this case. That would be via special tuning, and not selecting a preset.

As for turning up the bass when wearing headphones to compensate, that would be similar to the example above about compensating for the inconsistent frequency response of your equipment. Only difference is that "lacking bass" is such a general feature of open circumaural headsets that a "bass boost" preset will probably do the job nicely.

edit: oh, DS mentioned this.

Quote Originally Posted by DS
    The reason why the studio doesn't do this themselves, is because not everyone has speakers with drivers that can produce the extra range reasonably distortion free, in fact, most people don't. Also like I said, what gains are preferable is entirely subjective.
    So studios don't generally equalise the record?

Quote Originally Posted by DS
    Also decent phones and even some of the in-ear earbuds definitly benefit from a "bass-boost" setting.
    Wouldn't you expect better cans to produce more accurately and therefore reduce any beneficial effect presets would have?

I used to do the treble boost like Ryll on radios to hear voices better.. I guess that's one usefulness I can agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Wouldn't you expect better cans to produce more accurately and therefore reduce any beneficial effect presets would have?
    Since it's a physical limitation of small items trying to reproduce low sounds, I'd say higher quality equipment has better chances of benefitting from any equalization, like DS also kind of said when he mentioned poor equipment can't handle it. The worst cheap earbuds can't produce anything one would call, with any honesty, bass sounds. They won't much benefit from sound shaping either.

You will never get amazing bass from small things unless somebody invents something Nobel worthy...