Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sekirei

Genin
    Buffalobiian who do you find has the best subbing so far or all group involved?

Sheeah, Musubi's ep4 is 396MB... I really wish I knew why HD eps need to be so damned big these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukimura
    Sheeah, Musubi's ep4 is 396MB... I really wish I knew why HD eps need to be so damned big these days.
    Any idea what the "+extra" is for that file compared to the others? Or is it just + extra Mb on your hard drive.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Besu
    ------------------------------------------
    Both Musubi and Titanium are decent subs, not much to complain about. I watched Titanium's 4&5 this time.

Personal impressions: Titabiums uses slightly more intrusive font (similar to ariel/impact), which might stick out a bit if you're not used to it. You get used to it soon enough, so it's not a big deal. Titanium also edits their subs a little, such as flipping around the sentence structure from Jap to Eng, and perhaps not translating everything "word for word" from the dialogue, but that's perfectly fine, and up to personal preference.
    Same deal with proper nouns. Titanium drops the -chan, and -sans, while Musubi keeps them in.

At first, Musubi's style of translation (exact wording, -chan included) appealed to me more, but I'll get which ever seems to keep up with their schedule.(and perhaps file size)

My only real complaint will be Musubi's choice of font for the OP Karaoke. It's horrible.

I haven't touched Chihiro since they broke the joint, and I'll give Musubi's 05 a go, since I have some free quota.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Regarding the episodes themselves, I hope to see the plot rolling a bit faster with #09 joining. It's been fine so far, but I really want to dig deeper into the MBI and Sekirei Project now that we've seen it's not a mere game (it always hasn't, but it's blatantly obvious now), as well as meeting this mysterious collector. I'm guessing he'll be our main antagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukimura
    And Musubi's Sekirei 05 is out. All 454MB of it.
    [Musubi-Weib-yesy] Sekirei - 05 (x264 HV-HD AAC 5.1ch) [E010AFC9].mkv
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 08-06-2008 at 06:53 AM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

This is turning out to be quite an enjoyable series. Light for sure but entertaining enough.

Gotta say my favorite Sekirei is Kuu. She somehow doesn't seem to fit there at all, as was made evident by her reactions when watching the practice fight, and I can't say she was filling anybody with much confidence when she was assigned to bodyguard Minato against Tsukiumi... But she's all the more cute and funny because of that.

Kuu is definitely cute, and I love how her reaction to the "ghost". I didn't think Minato would get all four sekireis so soon, but now that I think of it, they all have to have wings for the real deal to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Besu
    I just watched Musubi's Episode 5. Picture quality was disappointing, especially for such an absurd file size.

Final thoughts, get Titanium.

I'll stick with Chihiro. They're shit, but the filesize is reasonable, the encode fine, and the audio/video pretty well done. I read the manga, so I don't really care all that much about the translation to be honest. Sekirei is certainly not penned by Masamune Shirou, so the langauge doesn't really matter.

My favorite Sekirei has always been Matsu. I can't really pinpoint why she's my favorite, but Aya Endo certainly makes her that much better. Then Tsukiumi (though Marina Inoue still doesn't fit), and Kuu a close 3rd.

EDIT:
    On second thought, she was much better this episode, but maybe I'm just getting used to her now. (Now I can waste brain power on being worried about her playing the lead in Skip Beat.)

They said in the last eps that because Tsukiumi is a single digit (09), that makes her extremely dangerous. We certainly saw what kinds of massive displays of power she is capable of. So, with that in mind, if Tsukumi is that powerful and is Number 09, what is Matsu (02) truly capable of?

I also wonder how long it will take Yukari to find out Minato also knows about the Sekirei (or vice versa). Probably a long time, since they made such a big deal about Kuu being sad she was separated from her compliment.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Thu, 08-07-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Kuu! ("Kuu" means "moon" in Finnish, just so that you know):

Episode 7 HD - Titanium
    Episode 7 SD - Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    They said in the last eps that because Tsukiumi is a single digit (09), that makes her extremely dangerous. We certainly saw what kinds of massive displays of power she is capable of. So, with that in mind, if Tsukumi is that powerful and is Number 09, what is Matsu (02) truly capable of?
    I don't know about that, but knowing Landlord Miya is #01 is making me really anxious to see her in battle. We already know her sword skills would be uber, but just as alluring is her persona that she uses when the talks to truly dangerous peers.

Meanwhile, we had a lot of information thrown at us this episode. Sekireis' mystery hasn't been cleared up, but we know now that they're not human (if it wasn't obvious before ). The project seems to be something akin to reviving this godly race, or rather, eliminating all the weak ones, and granting the remaining one a godly power. Why a human would want to do that, I don't know.

I just thought it's quite powerful to have the black choppers flying in like scavengers to "collect" the corpses after a battle. Makes it hard to think the MBI, and their "dogs" as anything but bad guys.

The MBI leader is completely crazy, that much is clear, so being a badguy isn't really an issue to him. And apparently he was a lunatic well before this all started. Like his assistant tried to say: The line between a genius and a madman is very thin indeed.

I'm still hoping Minato would get a grasp and start to plan something. He's not as bad as his sister but he's still acting like a happy-go-lucky dolt considering the place always was a battlefield and now it's one also officially.

I'll try to stick to episode 7 because while 8 is out (by Chihiro) I know you two will never touch it.

Minaka (MBI president, not to be confused with Minato) said that he and Takami were touched by the gods and became game masters, but there was an earlier part where they alluded to Takami being the kind one and Minaka being the counterpart to that. Homura was attempting to rely on her until Tsukiumi had to save him. If Minaka (or people beneath him) are in control of the disciplinary squad, Minaka is the agitator forcing the Sekirei to fight, and Takami is attempting to keep most of the harm from the Sekirei.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    I don't know about that, but knowing Landlord Miya is #01 is making me really anxious to see her in battle. We already know her sword skills would be uber, but just as alluring is her persona that she uses when the talks to truly dangerous peers.
    I think there is proof enough to make my assessment. Matsu has stated that single digits are stronger and more dangerous, and we've seen proof of it. The single digits we know about, Tsukiumi and Homura (#09 and #06 respectively, though self-introduction) both create their powers out of thin air. Homura has his fire, strong enough to incinerate himself, and Tsukiumi can create tidal waves of water with enough force to crush buildings.

...and these two do it without the pledge. The strengthing of their powers to use the true extend of their ability is what makes single digits that much more impressive. Musubi's gives her super-strength, enough to jump higher than rainclouds. Hikari and Hibiki together can create a lightning storm that can rival Tsukiumi's destructive force. That, is the key point, "can rival." Tsukiumi already exceeded the destructive force those two can produce just by being pissed off. Not even winged and without the pledge, both of which make her much weaker than she is now that Minato has claimed her.

Most of the other sekirei we've seen with double digits need weapons or some other thing to qualify their power. Scythe girl, whip girl, Musubi needs to make physical contact, Kuu needs plants, etc. Shiina (#107), Yukari's Sekirei to be, and Ukitsu (the "broken" Sekirei) seem to the exception, but Ukitsu should not follow the convention anyway.

Karasuba (#04 the Black Sekirei) should rival Miya, and they said as much. If Miya is #01, and one of the strongest, and Karasuba is #04, what powers does Matsu (#02) have, as she falls in the middle. We've seen her hacking, and pulling guns out of...somewhere for comedic effect, but we've never seen her use her powers and she obviously hasn't made a pledge with Minato yet. I'm not sure she's combat oriented, or she would not be hiding, but I am willing to be her powers are impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    I'm still hoping Minato would get a grasp and start to plan something. He's not as bad as his sister but he's still acting like a happy-go-lucky dolt considering the place always was a battlefield and now it's one also officially.
    I believe Minato is a lot stronger than he comes off most of the time. Sure, he's wishy washy about his Sekirei (should tell Miya to go away and make love to his entire harem, minus Kuu). We'll pass that off as "being kind." However, Matsu has said some strange things about him. He's excelled in school at their hometown, only to show the exact opposite in the Capital. The way she said it implied he had exceptional grades, and is actually very smart. He may not want to fight, but he's gone directly into dangerous situations in order to save the Sekirei tied to him. First with Kuu, going into the forest unarmed and without Musubi, only to be injured by the scythe-weilder. Then once more when he rushed in to save Tsukiumi from Hikari and Hibiki's lightning storm. No hesitation, he just goes for it.

Minato just doesn't want to go on the offensive. His goals coincide with Musubi's. He wants all Sekirei to live happy peaceful lives with their own Ashikabi's. Musubi wants to reunite them all after she destroys them all, and Minato would much rather just leave well enough alone. If pushed, I imagine he could plan, coordinate, and execute a mission, as Matsu aided him with capturing Tsukiumi. He didn't run from that threat, and ensured that she wasn't attached to a pervert like Seo. (Though I am sure Seo was just bluffing anyway, he has his own twisted sense of honor).

what powers does Matsu (#02) have, as she falls in the middle. We've seen her hacking, and pulling guns out of...somewhere for comedic effect, but we've never seen her use her powers and she obviously hasn't made a pledge with Minato yet. I'm not sure she's combat oriented, or she would not be hiding, but I am willing to be her powers are impressive.
    Hmm... I seemed to recall she had. Maybe I remember wrong.

Minato just doesn't want to go on the offensive. His goals coincide with Musubi's. He wants all Sekirei to live happy peaceful lives with their own Ashikabi's. Musubi wants to reunite them all after she destroys them all, and Minato would much rather just leave well enough alone.
    This is exactly what's so bothersome. The sekirei themselves are all about fighting and winning. What right does Minato even have to go against that? He has his own opinion of wanting to avoid fighting but even he knows they are fated to fight, and even if there was a loophole that would avoid that fate, he hasn't exactly done anything to find it, has he? So, even if he doesn't want to fight, he should still be damn well ready to fight because it takes two to start a fight.

I hope there was someone to set him to the right path. His sekirei are useless in that respect because while they want to fight, what comes to Minato they only want to get to the same bed...

A bit of clarification. Matsu has sealed the contract with Minato, thus becoming winged, but we have yet to see her actually perform a "pledge." Pledging, as descibed by Musubi, is when a Sekirei makes contact with her/his Ashikabi, usually a kiss, then recites a short verse, unleashing the totality of her/his powers. We've only seen two. Musubi's in the first or second episode, and Hikari and Hibiki's. Matsu hasn't done anything to Minato since she was winged.

I don't think Minato avoids fighting when he has to at all. He just wants to make sure his Sekirei are safe. I can't really complete my arguments without referencing episode 8, but Minato has not, unlike protagonists in other series, expressly refused his Sekirei from fighting. If they want to go at it, they do. Minato does not like senseless fighting, but he's in no position to stop his Sekirei and he knows it. He appears to be content with that as long as they come back safely.

As with the situation with Tsukiumi and Kuu, if he doesn't think something is right, Minato does not hold back. I wonder if he will have a different opinion of the cloth-using Sekirei (obviously Uzume) and her tactics of nearly killing other Sekirei.

Since you brought it up, I think Yukari is pretty much the same. She didn't care why the Whip-Sekirei was attacking Shiina, she stepped right into the middle of it and grabbed him. It's too early for Yukari though, we really don't know how she will act until she claims Shiina and joins in.

Hmm... I seemed to recall she had. Maybe I remember wrong.
    Yeah, she did when she sneaked into Minato's room in episode 5.

I think there is proof enough to make my assessment.
    Haha, I actually agree with what you said. I guess I should have replaced "I don't know about that" with "I don't have a clue what powers Matsu may have, but.......". My bad expression.

This is exactly what's so bothersome. The sekirei themselves are all about fighting and winning. What right does Minato even have to go against that? He has his own opinion of wanting to avoid fighting but even he knows they are fated to fight, and even if there was a loophole that would avoid that fate, he hasn't exactly done anything to find it, has he? So, even if he doesn't want to fight, he should still be damn well ready to fight because it takes two to start a fight.

I hope there was someone to set him to the right path. His sekirei are useless in that respect because while they want to fight, what comes to Minato they only want to get to the same bed...
    From what I see, it's like as Ryllharu says, Minato just doesn't want to go offensive. He's the type who's sitting around, literally "trying to live a normal life" as instructed, while waiting for whatever's thrown at him. As for his rights, his Sekirei seem happy enough to follow his lead, and they probably know, even if they don't got and hunt, others will find their way to them.

Though not aggressive, Minato doesn't plan to lose. When he saw Scythe-Girl go down, he asked Musubi if that will happen to her if she was ever defeated. That was also the time that he showed his rare determination so far. When the fight comes to win, he'll protect his sekireis no matter what.

But that then leaves the question about what to do if his four are the only ones left. Inevitably, they'll have to fight, but that doesn't seem very likely. The way I see it, I think Minato will lose his sekireis one by one, to be left only with Musubi. It's then that he'll truly will himself to fight and win, so Musubi can "unite them all and live in peace."

As for Minato being smart, I don't know about that. (I mean it this time). Matsu may have hinted something, but Yukari doesn't seem very surprised as she labelled his brother as a "college droppout". That seems a rather strange reaction if her brother has been academically great until he graduated.

It's possible, but from the last 7 episodes, I'm not really bought by the idea. If he is smart, I'd see him as the sharp type, like Yuuji from Shana, noticing enemy weaknesses and pointing out flaws in their actions, as opposed to a strategic planner (Lelouch) or one with extensive foresight (Light).

I would definitely like to see his sekirei's working under his command like a well-trained SWAT team though.

(Edit: I took too long, so Ryll answered first.)

I wouldn't count on Minato being any one of those really. Matsu plays the strategist role, as well as the "sharp" leader sitting in her room hijacking MBI assets. She already knows all the abilities of the Sekirei that are published, and in many cases, appears to know which Ashikabi has which Sekirei.

Sekirei aren't pawns like the BK in Geass or the moron cops in Death Note. Minato's Sekirei have a lot more autonomy, and are not blindly following their leader. In fact, they never seem to obey him, but listen to him and try to align themselves with his ideals when they do not conflict with their own.

- Tsukiumi is led by an overwhelming sensation of justice, and that was part of the reason she was averted from being winged so much. Tsukiumi seems to be led by order, again perhaps the reason she insists on being the "legal" wife so much. Fortunately that aspect is more or less aligned with Minato. She hates sneak attacks and stupidly always announces herself before fighting.
    - Musubi on the other hand, is a lot more like the Black Sekirei. As they showed in that quick flashback, Musubi and Karasuba both love fighting, and also have vowed to be the final two. Of course their ideals are total opposites. Karasuba wants to kill everyone, and Mububi wants everyone to be together, even if some have to be apart for a time. Fighting is Musubi's only apparent motivator.
    - Kuu lastly, just wants everyone to be together, but more like Minato, doesn't like fighting at all. I wonder if she even thinks there are justifications for it as Minato does.

I suppose there are many cases where Ashikabi abuse their Sekirei, but Minato is almost certainly being used by his. He provides more of a moral direction, but I don't think he's stupid by any means, and there might just be proof enough already. They've already hinted at what his relationship to certain other characters is many times, much to my chagrin. It was a lot more secretive in the manga. I suppose it explains why he is such a wuss.

I wouldn't count on Minato being any one of those really.
    That's what I said too, save the Sakai Yuuji type. You can't see him as that?

Nope. As I said, Matsu already fills that role.

I think the decisive difference between him and the other Ashikabi's will be how close he stands to the front line, side by side with his Sekirei. The other major ones we've seen all hide on the sidelines and led their Sekirei do all the dirty work. Minato and Seo are both there right on the lines, which also means they are more readily available to perform pledges.

Sekirei Sound Stage 01, Seirei no Moribito OP Single

lol, I had a wtf feeling when I posted that. Now I know why.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Thu, 08-28-2008 at 04:26 AM.